LIVE from the Vision of the Seas Sailing 5 Oct 2012

Day 25 - Monday - 29 Oct 2012 - Transiting the Panama Canal

Good Morning Everyone,

Today is the Big Day! It is about 4:30 am local time as I write this post from my Command Center here on the Pool Deck.

We are due at the western end of the Canal about 6 am.

I have lots of photos to upload and my camera is all charged up for taking more photos today.

More later...

Its my vacation and I will do whatever I want to...

IMG_1858.jpg

The blue paint is the walkway along the side of the Pool Deck. This guy wanted a shady place so he pulled a chair into the shade and made everyone walk around him. When he left, he did not return the chair to its original place.

WE had Roast Turkey for lunch in the Windjammer yesterday. If there were mashed potatoes and grave to go with it I couldn't find them, but the turkey was excellent. It was a real turkey they were carving from.

Judith made a sandwich with hers and I ate mine with cranberry sauce.

IMG_1859.jpg

Through the Bridge of the Americas, and approaching Miraflores Locks at a speed of 4.4 knots according to [url]www.marinetraffic.com[/url]

Monitoring the Miraflores webcam - [url]https://www.pancanal.com/eng/photo/camera-java.html?cam=MirafloresHi[/url]

Loving your trip can't believe it's the last week already.

Are you sure you weren't playing with those toys? Room looks rather messy for only 10 kids. :)

As far as Mr "I want my chair where I want it". Looks like that would of been a good place to have a meeting of the (as you put it) evil smokers:p

Have a good last week.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]You know, Vision and others when you see them in the locks look soooo much more narrow and thin than they seem when you're on them![/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Seems to me they should have thought ahead 75 years or so when they constructed the canal, that ships just might get a little larger!!! Would have saved a lot of dough! Hope they are making the new ones way bigger!!

These time lapses are fun if you've never seen them:
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71SR0nqsxz0&feature=fvsr[/url]

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_quhzVvK--Y&feature=related[/url]

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iz2rb1xrckI&feature=fvwrel[/url][/SIZE][/FONT] Edited by BecciBoo

[quote name='Trainman-2']Generally we don't go to the shows. After dinner we head back to our cabin and relax on the balcony before bed time. I am 68 and Judith is ?? and we usually are in bed early. I am an early riser and Judith is not. She usually reads long after I go to bed.

The Compasses I have been posting list the shows and tell a bit about the performers. Listening to those who have gone most of them were well liked.

We normally don't care who the Cruise Director is. We entertain ourselves and enjoy watching others participate in the activities on the pool deck. He is listed in the "Faces" sheet I posted up yesterday.

On the first leg of out B-2-B we went to the MDR every night. There is much more variety in the Windjammer at night than in the MDR. Some nights we have gone to the MDR and had the appetizers and visited with our table mates then headed up to the Windjammer. We have dressed up for 3 formal nights so far and tonight is another Formal Night so we will be in the Windjammer again tonight. It is more relaxed.

The wait and cabin staff's primary income is from our tips. That is the way it is!

We always pre-pay the tips as recommended by RCI. On the first 14 night leg we gave our Table Waiter $50 extra and the Assistant $20 Extra. We gave our Cabin attendant $20 extra last time and will probably give him $50 this time. He has really gone out of his way to take care of us.

We both have Coke Packages but we always tip with a US $1 coin on the Pool Deck and in the Windjammer when they bring us a drink. They know me well now and check with me every time they walk by my "command center" here on the pool deck.

Tipping a few hundred dollars extra is peanuts compared to the cost of our cruise. These people have worked hard to please us and "taking care of them" is, in our opinion, the right thing to do.[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more