Antartica cruise - by missed much?

eh2zed

Thinking of the Veendam December 20 SA/Antartica 21 day. We have done a SA cruise previously with most of the same ports except the Antartica cruise by portion. Need to know if the Antartica cruise by segment gets cancelled or shortened very often for weather or other reasons. My search on the Antartica forum doesn't seem to suggest so.

Thanks for any help

This year the Grand SA & Antarctica - missed 1 day out of the 3 in Antarctica - due to an approaching storm. before that missed Ushuaia due to wind.

Falklands were nearly cancelled (alot of the tenders were stopped from

docking , just delayed) and people were standing on the pier for sometime.

My DH & I went over on the 1st tender and it was so hair-raising rough that we stayed on the tender along with others and went right back to the ship.

We missed our penguin trip (but had seen them elsewhere (including Sea World in Orlando:p) so it was much better back on the ship.

That happens in such a harsh area of the world but it was a wonderful trip overall.

I've done the SA w/Antarctica cruise twice (3rd time comin' up! :)), and we had the full time there both times. Others may not have the same experience, however, I don't recall ever reading that.

We did not get to follow the original plan, though. For any given day there can be a change in plans due to weather and sea conditions. IIRC, the last time there was one day when they said we were up to "Plan L", or something like that.

One afternoon we left an area early (can't recall the reason), but were able to return safely the next morning.

On the first trip we could only get part of the way down the Lemaire Channel (known as "The Holy Grail"), then had to turn around due to ice. On the second trip we couldn't even start down the Channel---it was otherwise a gorgeous day! I felt we really missed something special when I saw a sailboat coming out of the Channel. But whachagonnado.

You will not be sorry to visit this place. I know no words to describe the feeling of being there.

I've only done it once and we saw it all. Listen to RuthC. She and Rev Neal talked me into doing it and I am eternally grateful to them. It is an experience not to be missed.

We were lucky with absolutely wonderful weather the entire time. The only missed port was Punta Arenas due to a labor dispute. But, that happens.

What ever part of Antarctica you see will be worth the trip. It is so awe inspiring and I remember feeling how terribly fortunate I was to have that experience as so few in this world do.

Debbie

You will not be sorry to visit this place. I know no words to describe the feeling of being there.

I would certainly ditto that! :D

We've done 1 trip (2010) and spent the full 3 days in Anarctica, although like Ruth says, we were on plan E or F on at least 1 of those days. We got to do the full Lamaire Channel too, but they called it "Kodak Way" and it was indeed starkly beautiful. Scientists and students from Palmer Station spent a day with us explaining their work and eating everything in sight! I know winds can be an issue in Ushuaia and Pt. Stanley, but we were lucky and had no trouble at either port. We also had a great trip across the Drake and Cape Horn was gorgeous, allowing us to get closer than the captain, whose name I can't recall now, told us he'd ever been. This was the same year that the Clelia II was disabled and the Veendam also took a beating in a sudden storm on the trip just prior to ours (they had 90 ft. waves! :eek:), but we had great weather. You can never tell what the weather will permit, but it is worth the attempt to see it. We felt as if we'd been transported to a different world being down there.

We missed the Falklands and spent only a half of one day out of two planned days after spending 7 days at see due to weather issues. There was a near mutiny on our ship ( Celebrity Infinity ) resulting in pax getting kicked off in Argentina. Here is my review: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1146082&highlight=antarctica+review

Even so , it was unforgettable and I am glad we did it . Truly a unique experience.

We missed the Falklands and spent only a half of one day out of two planned days after spending 7 days at see due to weather issues. There was a near mutiny on our ship ( Celebrity Infinity ) resulting in pax getting kicked off in Argentina. Here is my review: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1146082&highlight=antarctica+review

Even so , it was unforgettable and I am glad we did it . Truly a unique experience.

Brazilgirl, Just finished reading your Celebrity Infinity review & now becoming excited about our trip on the Prinsendam Jan 5..We did a SA cruise on the Amsterdam several years ago from Rio to Valparaiso, but never went into Antarctica which we regretted..DH begged me to go on this one..I was hesitant only because we normally travel with Friends, but this time would be travelling without our Friends..DH is not in the best of health, & I've been quite ambivalent about this cruise, until tonight...Reading your review & seeing your wonderful pictures has made this trip exciting for me..Tomorrow we'll apply for our Brazilian Visa's & start putting all the printed material I've collected about the ports into our notebook..

Understand what the crew went through, as I'm retired from the Airline Industry & at times had Psgrs scream at & threaten our Agents, when we had delays or cancellations due to weather or mechanical problems.. Some people can be quite unreasonable! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Thanks again for telling us about your fascinating review & your lovely pictures..:):)

Cheers...:)Betty

Thank you so much for the nice comments ! I love reading reviews before my trips and am glad my review helped in making your " anticipation" grow.

I will be happy to answer any questions about South America if you have any during your planning.

I hope you have wonderful weather and a lovely trip.

Kim

The cruise to Antarticia is wonderful, even if you only do the drive by. We loved it soooo much, that the next year, we flew to Ushuaia , so that we could put our feet on Antarticia. We went on an older Russian, ship. You couldn't really call it a cruise, but it got us there and back, and we had five landings. But the drive by is totally awsome, I will never forget going out on the deck in the middle of the night (dusk/sunrise) with the first views of the mountains. Enjoy your cruise.

Thinking of the Veendam December 20 SA/Antartica 21 day. We have done a SA cruise previously with most of the same ports except the Antartica cruise by portion. Need to know if the Antartica cruise by segment gets cancelled or shortened very often for weather or other reasons. My search on the Antartica forum doesn't seem to suggest so.

Thanks for any help

Did the SA cruise in 2010 on another cruise line:eek: and weather was a factor as to how close We could get there and it did not work out as it was to rough, Just an aside one of Hal's ship on the same itinerary was stranded and (I don't reminder which) but all turned out well. We did the Faulkin Island and saw the penguins it was a great experince and saw the men still working to remove the land mines from the war:eek: Hope you can get there:)

My DH and I took this cruise in January 2012. We missed Ushuaia because we had to cross Drake Passage before a storm hit. We HAD to spend an extra day in the Antarctic. :-( (LOL) We hit all the other ports including Port Stanley. The weather was nice with some rain before we reached the Antarctic but, Antarcticia was not to be missed, and the weather was great. All I can say is, "Don't hesitate to go".

We were on the same trip as IBFishing last January. Unlike BrazilGirls experiences, our captain was VERY good in not only explaining WHAT he was going to do, but WHY. Not only did we get regular "ding dong's" but he came down to the theatre and showed everyone the satellite views of the approaching weather and photo's of the ship the year before as it DID go through a storm in the same area. (If you are curious, take a look at this You Tube video:

)

Now that I scared the pants off of the fainthearted, here is the good news. By changing our itinerary (and missing Ushulia ) we had almost glass calm seas both going down and back, and three SPECTACULAR days in Antarctica. As well Post Stanley was amazing, as were all the ports.

To sum up, after 20 or so cruises, this is the only one I ever speak of. If I have one comment, it's to do Alaska FIRST... Cause once you see Antarctica, Alaska becomes a drab second best.

We were on the Veendam January 2012 trip as well. It was our second time and I'd go again in a heartbeat! The lectures were really informative and the photo opportunities are amazing.

I love Chile and would take another land trip there someday.

To sum up, after 20 or so cruises, this is the only one I ever speak of. If I have one comment, it's to do Alaska FIRST... Cause once you see Antarctica, Alaska becomes a drab second best.

FredT is right. I have been planning to cruise Alaska again, but after Antarctica, it is not so high on my list anymore.

I don't disagree. But I do have to say that Alaska is still spectacular, and it is so much easier to get to.

I just completed my 6th trip to Alaska, while anticipating my 3rd cruise to Antarctica. The Alaska trip took a lot less out of me to get to/from than the South America cruise will, and it cost a heck of a lot less, too. ;)

LOL... Won't argue that, but even after 50 + years of traveling, getting there is half the fun, (Fly into different airports, pre cruise side trips to Machu Picchu, Iguazu Falls, Wine country, etc etc. )

Archived