Pre-cruise itinerary help

BarbaraM

We will be arriving early (7am) at LHR on the day before our cruise out of Southampton. I understand there are many options to get easily to the port, but wonder how to fit in some sight-seeing options and where to spend the precruise night?

I'm considering renting a 1 way car and taking our time to see Windsor, Stonehenge (brief), Salisbury and possibly stay near Winchester or Southampton. There are just two of us, we have never been to England. The cheapest way to get there isn't as important as making some use of our pre-cruise day to see some of the countryside, and some historical sites. We are taking a B2B, and also would like a suggestion on a DIY day tour from Southampton.

Just a few things to consider about car renting (not that you should be discouraged). First is that you'll be driving on the other side of the road in what is normally the passenger seat. Automatic transmission cars are usually a lot more expensive and big relative to the roads there (narrower than in N. America), which you will also find will have many obstacles placed in the middle. Things to consider if you're not alert upon arrival and don't take redeyes well.

Then there is parking, which is not as easily available as in North America (never park on the kerb when you see red or yellow lines running alongside) and often expensive. Beware of car parks as you will have bags with you. Not only are cars smaller but most have hatchbacks so concealing your bags is a problem.

Because of your mid-cruise port day in Southampton, you have an endless combination of options.

Can I presume that you don't want to take a look at London?-

it's top of the list for first-timers to England, and although a proper visit needs 3 or 4 days you can certainly get a very good overview with a day & evening in the capital.

A rented car wouldn't suit this option.

Book a central London hotel (ideally between Buckingham Palace & Westminster Bridge, but anywhere close to a ho-ho route & a tube station will do), drop your bags at the hotel when you arrive (around 9am) & spend the day & evening in London. Perhaps a ho-ho round-trip of about 2hrs 15, then explore selected sights at leisure, quick freshen-up at the hotel then out for the evening. You'll sleep soundly that night. Lazy breakfast next morning & head to Southampton about 11.30am by coach or train.

Coach about £6 from Victoria coach station, journey time 2hrs 30.

Train about £36 (or from £1 pre-booked & non-amendable megatrain tickets) from Waterloo station, journey time about 1hr 30. Or a slower train journey from Victoria train station from about £12, journey time about 2hrs 30.

A big advantage is no driving after a red-eye flight, if you doze on a ho-ho the consequences are less traumatic :D

http://www.nationalexpress.com/home.aspxhttp://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/planjourney/search

http://uk.megabus.com/megatrain.aspx

http://www.bigbustours.com/eng/london/custompage.aspx?

http://www.londontoolkit.com/

If you want to stick to Plan A & drive from Heathrow to the Southampton area, Hertz & Europcar have depots near the port. The nearest Avis depot is at Southampton airport, so it's not convenient - 20 minutes / £20 taxi ride from the port (beware out-of-date info in the web, the Avis port depot closed a couple of years ago).

With a 7am flight arrival, you'll be on the road about 8.30.

Loads of options - what are your interests? Ancient piles of rocks, castles, cathedrals, historic towns & cities, grand country houses, village cottages, gardens, landscapes, modern history (military, motoring, engineering), shopping ??????????????

Here's a couple of suggestions:

Windsor is only about 20 minutes away. The town & castle are worth about 2 hours (changing of the guard is around 11am)

Stonehenge is something under 90 minutes from either Heathrow or Windsor, Salisbury a further 20 minutes, Wilton House is just outside Salisbury, Southampton is 30 mins beyond.

So you have ample time to explore all these places on your way.

Southampton would be easier to ovrernite than Winchester, & a wider choice of hotels. Stay in Winchester & you can explore the city & cathedral next morning before the 20 minute drive to the port. Or stay in Southampton - the city has enough old-town interest for a morning of exploration on foot, and excellent shopping.

Or just visit Portsmouth & Southsea, with its historic dockyard & ships, small Tudor castle, ring of Napoleonic forts, D-Day museum, seafront, etc etc.

If you chose Portsmouth & Southsea, easiest to overnite there & drive the 20 miles to Southampton next morning.

But many other options.

.......................................................................................................................

Since you'll have a Southampton port day mid-cruise, might be best to leave Salisbury/Stonehenge til then. You can catch a train from Southampton central to Salisbury for about £10 day-return. Half-hourly direct service, journey time about 30 mins. Ho-ho bus (about £11) from Salisbury rail station to Stonehenge - trip takes about half-an-hour each way, and give yourselves 60 or 90 mins at Stonehenge. Hop off when the bus gets back to Salisbury city centre. The centre is compact & easy, including the cathedral. Spend such time as you have to spare in the city, then ho-ho or walk or taxi back to the station for the return train.

For example if you take the 9.10am train from Southampton, spend an hour at Stonehenge & take the 2.32pm train back (on-board about 3.15pm, so leeway to take the next train if you foul-up), you'll have about 2 1/2hrs in Salisbury, which is plenty.

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/planjourney/search

http://www.thestonehengetour.info/''

Or the same train from Southampton Central past Salisbury to the city of Bath (railstation is Bath Spa), very popular amongst US & other foreign visitors. You'll not have time to stop-off in Salisbury.

Other options include Winchester or a ferry/taxi to Beaulieu (Bishop's house, abbey remains, excellent motor museum, all in one complex).

London & Windsor aren't suited to a day trip from Southampton, though I've no doubt the ship will offer a rushed London excursion.

And although trains are quick & frrequent, you'll not get best value out of Portsmouth on that day.

Decisions, decisions :rolleyes:

JB :)

We will be arriving early (7am) at LHR on the day before our cruise out of Southampton. I understand there are many options to get easily to the port, but wonder how to fit in some sight-seeing options and where to spend the precruise night?

I'm considering renting a 1 way car and taking our time to see Windsor, Stonehenge (brief), Salisbury and possibly stay near Winchester or Southampton. There are just two of us, we have never been to England. The cheapest way to get there isn't as important as making some use of our pre-cruise day to see some of the countryside, and some historical sites. We are taking a B2B, and also would like a suggestion on a DIY day tour from Southampton.

I can tell you what we did last summer with similar circumstances. We rented a car and drove to Bath. Spent the day and night there. The next day we drove to Stonehenge and Salisbury. After that we drove to the Southampton airport to drop the car off. Worked well.

I can tell you what we did last summer with similar circumstances. We rented a car and drove to Bath. Spent the day and night there. The next day we drove to Stonehenge and Salisbury. After that we drove to the Southampton airport to drop the car off. Worked well.

How did you handle driving on the left? We are renting a car after our BI cruise from Harwich next May and driving to our hotel near Heathrow, then later to Salisbury and Stonehendge.

Decide if you want 24hr or 48hr car hire.

If 24hr you will need to stay in Southampton and plan the drop off.

With 48hr you can stay out as far as somewhere like Oxford.

Anywhere within 2hrs drive is close enough and some nice places within an hour.

You also get a lot more choices of hotels/B&Bs/restaurants.

There is also Enterprise they are further out but offer a pickup/drop off service.

Check the one way special deals as well as the regular deals especialy with Europcar(airport connect, city connect) they can make a difference to the cost

http://www.europcar.co.uk/EBE/module/render/uk-deals-and-offers

You've already been given a lot of good suggestions and advice...

But, as someone who tends to do this often, let me add some thoughts...

We usually make it a point to fly in several days prior to the cruise (I do understand that not everyone can do this)...there are several good reasons--and things to consider...

From where are you flying? For us, we're coming from California...that means we've just had a LONG travel day...We've left home about three hours before the flight in order to get to the airport and brave check-in and security...and that's usually after a full day at work since the flights often tend to leave at night...and then we're on a flight for about 11 hours--assuming we get one of the non-stops...change planes somewhere and it's an even longer day. We have trouble sleeping on the plane...So, by the time we get to Heathrow, we are tired...and we are EIGHT TIME ZONES OFF of our usual schedule.

Bottom line is that, quite often, that first day is quite difficult (harder for my wife, it typically takes her a few days to get acclimated to the time change)...

Assuming your arrival in the UK is after a similar ordeal, you may want to consider how aggressive of a schedule you want to pursue once you get there. I know that if it's your first visit, you want to see a lot, but, you may want to consider saving that for another trip when you have a few days to spend.

Hiring a car (or what we call renting a car)...I do this all of the time...but I am somewhat more accustomed to this since I do this all the time...I do pay a little more for an "automatic" since I don't want to have to concentrate on shifting gears while I am also having to concentrate on driving on the other side and on where I am going...And, yes, beware big cars...in some places roads and driveways just aren't that wide and parking is difficult...It is convenient, when wanting to visit a lot on your own schedule, to have your own car...but it really is not for everyone...

If you do hire a car, be sure you have a GPS with UK maps...In the old days, I would drive around with paper maps and get lost a lot...The GPS is invaluable...Also note that driving in the UK can be different than in most of the US for reasons other than which side of the road. First, the car is set up in reverse...That rear view mirror is now over your other shoulder...Most highway intersections and many city intersections are by traffic circles or roundabouts...Everyone merges in without stopping and you need to be aware of where you get in and get out...Of course, you could drive around in circles until you figure it out--but be wary of all of the cars moving in and out!

My personal advice would be to not try to cram in too much and to let someone else do the driving...I would not try to go into London with the one day you have...There is a lot to see and do in London, but it will take some travel time to get in and to get out...I would try to save London for when you have more time--when you can relax and take in the city...and have time to see a Musical, do some shopping, enjoy some restaurants, walk around the streets, the parks, the museums...Just rushing by everything on a HOHO bus will be very unsatisfying...

There are tour companies that do pick-ups at Heathrow and take you to Windsor and Stonehenge and drop you in Southampton for a cheap enough price--though you're putting up with a big bus full of tourists and you have to fit into their schedule...So, if money is not a big concern, I'd look into hiring a private car service to do a tour designed to your personal timing, desire and objectives...Have them pick you up at Heathrow and take you to some of the sights between Heathrow and Southampton and them drop you off at a hotel in Southampton at a reasonable hour...

We stay at the Holiday Inn on Herbert Walker as it is right next to the pier...but there are a few other hotels in the area as well (DeVere, Premier and a couple of more)...there is a large shopping mall right across the way and lots of restaurants within walking distance...

My thought is that by the time you reach Southampton, you will be ready to grab a quick dinner and get right to bed...Then, in the morning, sleep in if you'd like...and get to the ship at your own leisure...

Archived