GTY cabin assignments?

Avril

Just wondering, how long before a ship sails does HAL normally assign the GTY cabins? I'm sailing on the Nieuw Amsterdam at the end of October and have booked a Balcony GTY (category VH if I remember right) and still haven't gotten my cabin assignment. At least, my express docs still say "To Be Assigned". This is my 3rd HAL cruise but my 1st time booking a GTY. Not that I care where we are at all, just wondering. Super excited for this cruise!!!! :D

Thanks!!!! :D

Got ours this morning for a 10/19 cruise. It was not on 'My Reservations' but on the Check In page. Nice upgrade, too.

We were on your cruise last fall and enjoyed it so much that we're doing it again, just on a different ship. The Nieuw Amsterdam was fantastic and we found not one thing to complain about but lots that we loved. Great crew, service, food and entertainment. Captain Mercer was super. We'd give that cruise a 10!

My last and only cruise with HAL was a balcony guarantee and we learned from the porter at the pier.

Best wishes for a great room and a great cruise.

I expect I will probably be learning about our December cruise the same way. I hope Santa and HAL are good to us.

;We are still early @ 7 weeks out!!

I guess we have a few more weeks of wondering which cabin and if a more favorable opportunity might existent for us :p

This is the first time booking a GTY cabin, its adding to the pre-cruise vehemence :p ;)

What is the logic, if any, in GTY cabins.
It makes yield and allocation management easier for the cruise line, because they have a bunch of passengers who are basically saying that within certain constraints (ie there is a minimum grade of cabin they'll accept), they don't much care where on the ship they end up. The cruise line can then be much more flexible when managing late cancellations yet still trying to fill the ship.

The benefit for the passenger is the bigger chance of an upgrade to a cabin that's much nicer than the minimum they were prepared to accept.

Think of it a bit like an airliner where many of the passengers say they don't want a seat number allocated before check-in, in return for a higher chance of an upgrade.

Ok, thanks everyone!! Seems like there's no real time when they assign GTY cabins. We're still waiting. I hope that waiting longer means we may get some sort of upgrade (even if it's a small one)!! :D To everyone else who's still waiting, I hope you find out soon and I hope you get a nice upgrade!!!! :D

Archived