Bermuda or Florida/Bahamas from NYC

SoCalCruiser20

It depends on what you're looking for. We're doing the Bahamas right now because we want to take my stepdaughter to the Florida amusement parks. (We were going to do Disney but now that she's 12 she chose Universal/Harry Potter instead.)

But if it were just DH and I looking for something romantic, then I think we'd to the Bermuda one.

We're picking Bermuda for summer '14 as soon as the prices/itineraries are available. We've already done the FL/Bahamas trip twice so we want something new and I kind of like the idea of being in one location and being able to really explore the area.

If you don't care about the ship or the cost, what do you want to know to help you decide? To me the best part of the FL/Bahamas trip is NCL's private island. My young adult sons did the waverunner excursion and had a blast. Florida is not long enough to have a good day at a theme park (my opinion) and the Bahamas while beautiful waters are just too familiar to us now.

There will be 4 of us, all of which 21 years old. We arent looking for any excursions or anything. Just a good time. Maybe the ship will come into play based on what ameneties are onboard...we're just really excited and anxious for the dates to come out so we can book them. Figuring the Breakaway and Getaway will be too expensive. As of now leaning towards Florida/Bahamas. One person from our group wants to do Southern Caribbean on Carnival but 2 of us prefer NCL and arent willing to go on Carnival (we want freestyle) lol

thanks

We're picking Bermuda for summer '14 as soon as the prices/itineraries are available. We've already done the FL/Bahamas trip twice so we want something new and I kind of like the idea of being in one location and being able to really explore the area.

If you don't care about the ship or the cost, what do you want to know to help you decide? To me the best part of the FL/Bahamas trip is NCL's private island. My young adult sons did the waverunner excursion and had a blast. Florida is not long enough to have a good day at a theme park (my opinion) and the Bahamas while beautiful waters are just too familiar to us now.

Ive only been on one cruise to the mexican riviera so anything on the east coast will be new to us. I kind of like the idea of bermuda. with all four of us being 21 we want the younger crowd on the ship. It will probably just come down to luck about whos on the ship. We are so indecisive thats why we have been asking so many questions here on CC.

There will be 4 of us, all of which 21 years old. We arent looking for any excursions or anything. Just a good time. Maybe the ship will come into play based on what ameneties are onboard...we're just really excited and anxious for the dates to come out so we can book them. Figuring the Breakaway and Getaway will be too expensive. As of now leaning towards Florida/Bahamas. One person from our group wants to do Southern Caribbean on Carnival but 2 of us prefer NCL and arent willing to go on Carnival (we want freestyle) lol

thanks

We also love and prefer NCL but we had a terrific time on the 8-day Eastern Carnival out of NYC. That would probably be a younger crowd but I do understand the choice of freestyle. I love the variety of restaurants and leaving the dress up clothes at home. I'm not sure I would just rule out Carnival without at least a glance. None of the lines seem to have summer 2014 out yet, so there is just speculation and anticipation right now!

We also love and prefer NCL but we had a terrific time on the 8-day Eastern Carnival out of NYC. That would probably be a younger crowd but I do understand the choice of freestyle. I love the variety of restaurants and leaving the dress up clothes at home. I'm not sure I would just rule out Carnival without at least a glance. None of the lines seem to have summer 2014 out yet, so there is just speculation and anticipation right now!

yeah we were looking at the 7 day southern caribbean from san juan on carnival which would be amazing, but the four of us will still be in school, 2 of us having busy work schedules. We dont want to have to go out and buy a bunch of nice clothes and the airfare to puerto rico. Would love to do Bermuda from nyc on Breakaway :D but we will see what happens when dates/prices/itineraries are available to book. I HATE WAITING AND LOVE ASKING QUESTIONS haha I've been on CC and NCL.com the past two weeks just looking for the slightest updates.

Are you going to choose Breakaway summer 2014? or the other ship that will be sailing that route? (assuming 2014 is the same as 2013)

Are you going to choose Breakaway summer 2014? or the other ship that will be sailing that route? (assuming 2014 is the same as 2013)

We are waiting to see. We may pick the Breakaway but we will see what other ships are sailing. Our sons travel with us and this particular cruise is to celebrate youngest son's hs graduation. The older two will be 21 and 24 in 2014. We haven't ruled out another line but we're leaning towards NCL as it is our 1st choice.

We are waiting to see. We may pick the Breakaway but we will see what other ships are sailing. Our sons travel with us and this particular cruise is to celebrate youngest son's hs graduation. The older two will be 21 and 24 in 2014. We haven't ruled out another line but we're leaning towards NCL as it is our 1st choice.

Cruises are a great way to celebrate hs graduations, that was my present two years ago :)

It would be awesome to go on the Breakaway (if i could get everyone in my group to agree Bermuda will be fun and safe trip) they have the notion of Bermuda triangle in their head and are afraid

Florida/Bahamas is good if you enjoy visiting several different ports, and sailing every night.

Bermuda is good because you are in the same place for three days/two nights, and you can come and go as you please...and also enjoy some nightlife in Bermuda.

Done and enjoyed both! :)

Florida/Bahamas is good if you enjoy visiting several different ports, and sailing every night.

Bermuda is good because you are in the same place for three days/two nights, and you can come and go as you please...and also enjoy some nightlife in Bermuda.

Done and enjoyed both! :)

thank you, i still cant make up my mind, bermuda from nyc or boston, florida/bahamas from nyc, or the getaway from miami. just waiting for prices to come

thanks for the input

Brandon

It depends on what you're looking for. We're doing the Bahamas right now because we want to take my stepdaughter to the Florida amusement parks. (We were going to do Disney but now that she's 12 she chose Universal/Harry Potter instead.)

But if it were just DH and I looking for something romantic, then I think we'd to the Bermuda one.

You would think that they would get to port Canaveral earlier since people want to do the theme parks.

Getting there at noon if you get right off at noon and get to universal there is another hour, and then with the park closing at 7pm.

It doesn't leave much time for a leisurely port visit.:(

Bill

You would think that they would get to port Canaveral earlier since people want to do the theme parks.

Getting there at noon if you get right off at noon and get to universal there is another hour, and then with the park closing at 7pm.

It doesn't leave much time for a leisurely port visit.:(

I wish they could get there earlier too, but I figure they come in at that time because of the distance.

I love Berumda, been there a couple of times. We were on NCL Star in Sept. and that is when the hurricane was heading to Berumda. We didn't know until Monday where we were heading. I am glad we went to Berumda but was cut short 1 day. Look at the itineries of each. You will be going in the summer and the lines at the parks will be very long. You need more than a couple hours at the park. Been there...

For me, the time of year makes the decision. If it's May/June/early July, then it's Bermuda all the way. It is a gorgeous island and we love the beach. I've been to Bermuda in late July/early August and it was extremely humid. If you're not swimming, you're sweltering. June is my favorite month in Bermuda. Love love love it. However, Bermuda cruises tend to be a little pricey when you get to late June (when school is out).

Any other time of year, I would choose the Florida/Bahamas itinerary. We are doing that in November and I can't wait.

Regardless, you can't beat sailing out of NYC/New Jersey, if you live in this area. It's so nice not having to deal with flights and everything that goes with it, especially the cost. :eek:

I've sailed both these itineraries and, quite frankly, given the heat and humidity, wouldn't be terribly interested in doing either during the summer. Putting that aside, Bermuda is a far more beautiful destination than is Nassau, and I really enjoyed having the overnights in port and not having to rush back to the ship each day.

OP, it really comes down to the things YOU and your traveling companions like to do. E.g., a day seeing the awesome Kennedy Space Center, perhaps?? (or does the ship arrive at Port Canaveral even too late for that now?) If not, Port Canaveral, for want of a better word, is a bus stop. Not high on most folks' list of great ports.

A day at NCL's private island? (keep in mind that sometimes the ship can't tender there because of weather)

A couple of leisurely days seeing Bermuda?

I would research the ports, figure out what you'd do in each, and go from there in deciding which cruise if price and ship are not factors.

Whatever you decide, have a great time!

We did both and liked both for the different reasons.

Bermuda is simply beautiful, and offers so much. They have wonderful system of public transportation (buses and ferries). You cannot really predict a weather over there. We had tons of rain during our July's 3 dayer on Dawn, but we also stopped there twice for a day visit, and weather was perfect.

On our this year trip on Jewel to Bahamas in April we had wonderful excursion on airboats to watch alligators in PC, not very good (colder/windy) weather at GSC, and beautiful day in Nassau (went to Paradise island/Atlantis).

Both trips were fun in term of ships entertainment!

just looking for advice on which one of the two to choose?

Any pros or cons about either...

looking to sail in summer 2014, with prices and ships out of the picture which would you all recommend?

Thanks for any help,

Brandon

We have done both and would pick Bermuda again in a heartbeat.

thank you everybody! I keep changing my mind, I think I'm leaning towards Bermuda, i will go there someday! I believe my group is deciding on what is cheapest at the time of booking, I am going to try to convince them to go to Bermuda even though the 2 girls are beging for Southern Caribbean on Carnival whereas the 2 guys want to go on NCL...ugh

We're headed to Bermuda on the Breakaway in May, our 4th cruise to Bermuda, each on a different ship. We've also done the Florida/Bahamas cruise a couple times, so without Disney being a factor, Bermuda wins. Being summer, and schools on vacation, you will be traveling with kids. and prices will be up accordingly. If you like the beach, Bermuda would be great, including at least one visit to the pink beaches on the South side. Plenty of things to do in Bermuda, and each cruise we've done has included a visit to one of the two Swizzle Inns for good fun and their famous Rum Swizzle. One of the great things for us is staying in one place for three days, the ship being your hotel where you can come and go as you please. If you are there on a Wednesday, Hamilton has a popular street fair in the evening. The transportation system in Bermuda is great, the locals are very friendly, the island is a low crime area, and there are an abundance of things to do for most interest groups. Check out the Bermuda area of the Cruise Critic Port Board. If you have traveled to other islands, like Nassau, you will find that the line of taxis and tour operators in Bermuda are not as abundant and pushy as the other destinations we've visited.

We can't wait for the Breakaway cruise, a little pricey, but we have come to enjoy cruising on the new ships, especially early on when the ships have been stacked with some of the best staff, some of whom we recognize from prior cruises.

Archived