Marina 8000/8001

Tutuma

We have sailed on the smaller O ships. About ready (Oct 10) to book on Marina. Noticed deck 8 two verandah suites - 8000/8001 appear to have super sized verandahs. Is this correct? How bad is the wind? We will be sailing the South Pacific. Any details greatly appreciated.

That sounds like the Vista suites. At least 10001 was a Vista!

Yes, the decks are supersized but so is the charge for your cabin. If money is no object (are not much of one), go for it. We didn't notice a problem with wind on our Med cruise a year ago on Marina but that can depend on the weather you encounter.

The Vistas ARE spacious ...

Mura

The balconies are deeper than the ones on the side of the ship

but then you have the wind factor as well as "more motion of the ocean" feature

Some people love them other not so much ;)

How about that! I shouldn't have assumed the numbering system would be the same as it is on Decks 9 and 10 ... But I finally checked the deck plan and see you are absolutely right!

Mura

The balconies are deeper than the ones on the side of the ship

but then you have the wind factor as well as "more motion of the ocean" feature

Some people love them other not so much ;)

The size of the balcony will not be a factor if you hit high seas. Not a pleasant prospect and we've been there in Vista Suites.:(

Should you hit high seas, (really rough seas with twenty foot crests) you'll have the ride and visual of a lifetime. Be sure to count the seconds it takes the bow to shake off salty tons of King Neptune froth. Go for it!

Should you hit high seas, (really rough seas with twenty foot crests) you'll have the ride and visual of a lifetime. Be sure to count the seconds it takes the bow to shake off salty tons of King Neptune froth. Go for it!

The crest of a twenty foot wave would not reach the foredeck of the Riviera, which is thirty to thirty five feet above the waterline :D

202443.jpg And she rides like a duck on the water, VERY stable.

The bow and foredeck are plunging into wave troughs increasing the height and water displacement Marina will not resemble a duck on a silver patter but a kayak in class five rapids. But with a sound keel and strong hand on the joystick...all the better to enjoy...one hand for the ship and one hand for my beer. :)

The bow and foredeck are plunging into wave troughs increasing the height and water displacement Marina will not resemble a duck on a silver patter but a kayak in class five rapids. But with a sound keel and strong hand on the joystick...all the better to enjoy...one hand for the ship and one hand for my beer. :)

200px-To_Have_and_Have_Note_(Hemmingway_novel)_1st_edition_cover.jpgSomebody has been reading too much Hemingway lately........ :rolleyes:

As romantic as your description sounds, ships of this this size don't have tillers (or joysticks as you so colorfully put it), and even if those twenty foot waves had eighty feet between them, Riviera's foredeck would stay dry-

201555.jpg A Cruise liner has a lot more inertia than a sailboat, and with the stabilizers deployed, there would have to be a full on typhoon for the bow to ship green water.

You two are cleaver with the pictures but not with facts. So I suggest we tie you to the anchor chain and see if you stay dry. My life and romance with the sea includes body surfing fifteen foot waves in Hawaii, sailing, canoe surfing...and WRITING..and awarded a GOLDEN DUKE from Duke himself in 1967 for OUTSTANDING CONTRIBUTION TO SURFING . That is my record with the sea. What is yours besides a SUITE LIFE?

Try check Ron Haworth+Hawaii. :eek:

You two are cleaver with the pictures but not with facts. So I suggest we tie you to the anchor chain and see if you stay dry. My life and romance with the sea includes body surfing fifteen foot waves in Hawaii, sailing, canoe surfing...and WRITING..and awarded a GOLDEN DUKE from Duke himself in 1967 for OUTSTANDING CONTRIBUTION TO SURFING . That is my record with the sea. What is yours besides a SUITE LIFE?

Try check Ron Haworth+Hawaii. :eek:

I'm basing my observations on the education that I received at the Merchant Marine Academy at Kings Point, New York; education aside, and I say this with all due respect, if you really imagine that body surfing gives you any insight into the way that a SIXTY SIX THOUSAND TON ship handles in bad weather, then I honestly don't see any point in our continuing this conversation.

We stayed in 8001 on the Marina in July 2012. Nice cabin. Yes, a big balcony. Downside - the front of the balcony is solid metal. You can't see anything when sitting. You must stand and look over the edge. I must say, though, that the view was wonderful especially going towards Stockholm. We felt we were in a big canoe!

I wanted to snag one of the verandah suites with the extended verandah on the 7th floor. If you are familiar...can you compare with 8000/8001?

The deck 7 ones are approx 8 x12

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2141293180101934561rfUlzc

You are overlooked from above

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2629714840101934561eLXwhY

Not sure on size of bow cabin balconies

I am sure j & S have pictures :D

The deck 7 ones are approx 8 x12

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2141293180101934561rfUlzc

You are overlooked from above

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2629714840101934561eLXwhY

Not sure on size of bow cabin balconies

I am sure j & S have pictures :D

As has been asked without being answered several times, the interior of all of the B category cabins are identical to one another in dimensions, finish and furnishings.

The differences that we are discussing here ONLY APPLY TO THE VERANDA(S) IN QUESTION.

The "EXTENDED VERANDA'S on deck 7 and the FORWARD FACING VERANDAS on deck 8 are approximately the same size. Coincidentally, both types may be seen in this photograph:

221114.jpg The major difference being the solid steel railings on the forward facing cabins, and the spectacular views which being in front of the ship may sometimes afford.

062306.jpg

• 3 years later...

The deck plan for Marina deck 8 shows 8000/8001 starred as having "Special Features." Placing one's cursor over 8001 reveals that it is a "connecting stateroom." However, nothing is revealed for 8000 despite its star.

So my question for anyone who has stayed in either of those cabins is whether yours had a connecting door to the adjacent suite or cabin. If so, was it to the B1 Veranda next door to you? Or did the door connect to the adjacent Vista Suite, either 8002 or 8003?

We had a forward-facing cabin for 35 days aboard Nautica and loved it, but I hate connecting doors because they are never soundproof which can be a problem if 24-hour party people or a family with kid(s) are installed next to you.

Your experience will help us to decide "yay or nay." Thanks in advance!

The deck plan for Marina deck 8 shows 8000/8001 starred as having "Special Features." Placing one's cursor over 8001 reveals that it is a "connecting stateroom." However, nothing is revealed for 8000 despite its star.

So my question for anyone who has stayed in either of those cabins is whether yours had a connecting door to the adjacent suite or cabin. If so, was it to the B1 Veranda next door to you? Or did the door connect to the adjacent Vista Suite, either 8002 or 8003?

We had a forward-facing cabin for 35 days aboard Nautica and loved it, but I hate connecting doors because they are never soundproof which can be a problem if 24-hour party people or a family with kid(s) are installed next to you.

Your experience will help us to decide "yay or nay." Thanks in advance!

I believe they open to the adjacent Vista suite.

I'm basing my observations on the education that I received at the Merchant Marine Academy at Kings Point, New York; education aside, and I say this with all due respect, if you really imagine that body surfing gives you any insight into the way that a SIXTY SIX THOUSAND TON ship handles in bad weather, then I honestly don't see any point in our continuing this conversation.

You definitely win the discussion. I was following this just for fun. I have no experience except for cruising. I just found the discussion interesting. Your reply should end the discussion.!:)

Thanks, CB B0ARDER, for your reply; it's much appreciated. However, your words "I believe" imply at least a modicum of uncertainty.

Does anyone out there know for sure, based on personal experience or observation, whether 8000 on the Marina (or Riviera, for that matter) connects to any other cabin or suite? And if 8001 connects to another cabin or suite as indicated on the O website, then is it to 8000 on one side or to the Vista suite on the other?

Thanks again in advance.

Edited by DrHemlock

There was no interconnecting door at that time. The balcony was excellent. We experienced a continuous droning noise from the bathroom, but don't know whether this was ever fixed up.

Edited by durante
Typo

Thanks, CB B0ARDER, for your reply; it's much appreciated. However, your words "I believe" imply at least a modicum of uncertainty.

Does anyone out there know for sure, based on personal experience or observation, whether 8000 on the Marina (or Riviera, for that matter) connects to any other cabin or suite? And if 8001 connects to another cabin or suite as indicated on the O website, then is it to 8000 on one side or to the Vista suite on the other?

Thanks again in advance.

Dr.,

I firmed this up or so I think. Last year we stayed in Vista suite 8003 and I remember there being a door connecting to a B1 Cabin. However I wasn't 100% sure so I went to youtube and typed in "Marina Vista Suite". The video I watched did in fact have a connecting door. Next question, is the connecting door standard for all forward facing Vista Suites?

Hope this helps!

Thanks again in advance.

I stayed in Marina 8000 last August on our Baltic/Scandinavia cruise. I didn't recall a connecting door so I confirmed on the deck plans that neither 8000 or 8001 connect to any other room, including the vista suites next door. Adjoining rooms are clearly marked on the deck plans with an = mark. In any case, I don't think you will have to worry about parties or loud families next to you, as there were few (and I mean FEW) people on our cruise under the age of 30. We loved the room because it was so quiet and away from all common areas and the view off the front of the ship is pretty cool. However, be aware that there will be a loud vibration every morning as the ship pulls into port.

We loved the room

I wouldn't think so because we have been in 9001 and 10001 on Marina and I don't recall a connecting door. The Deck 8 Vistas may be a bit different because you enter from the side of the hallway rather than directly in front as you do on Decks 9 and 10. (What I'm trying to say is that when we entered 8003 for a party we turned right to enter the suite; on our suites we went in straight ahead.)

I did just check the deck plan and it appears that on Deck 10 the neighboring suites are PH3 whereas on Deck 9 they are A4s. (Bear in mind that my deck plan is an older one and changes may have been made.)

From the plan my memory that the Deck 9 and 10 Vistas back up to each other so it wouldn't be likely that they would connect. I sure never noticed a door in either one them.

I'd be interested in the definitive answer, though. Jim/Stan?

Mura