Best place to see the Penguins in March.

sk99

We are booked on Infinity cruise out of BA in early March. We are trying to decide where it would be the best place to see the penguins. Ship stops in: Puerto Madryn, Ushuaia and Punta Arenas. I understand that it is late in the season and not many penguins are there.

Any input on the best place and tour operators will be appreciated. Thank you.

Thanks for the replies. But I am still confused. I know from these boards that there are several places to see the penguins:

Otway rookery from Punta Arenas is easier and cheaper, but not a lot of penguins in March; Magdelena Island Natural Penguin Reserve also from Punta Arenas

and Punta Tombo from Puerto Madryn.

Which one is better bet to see the penguins? One other thing is - we'll have another ship (Veendam) in Puerto Madryn. It probably will make it crowdie.

Any suggestions to help me with my decision are appreciated.

I was on the Infinity's final cruise this past season (Feb 26 out of Buenos Aires). I actually did not get to take any of the penguin tours, but can echo what was said above.

The Estancia San Lorenzo Penguin Reserve tour I was booked on out of Puerto Madryn was cancelled. We were the very last call by any ship of the year (this was on March 2) and the road to that part of the peninsula was already closed for the conclusion of the Summer season. Celebrity failed to notify those on the tour of the cancellation until the afternoon before, so too late to rebook to the Punta Tomba tour.

The tour desk encouraged us to change to either the Penguin Rookery Cruise in Ushsuaia (which is just a sail-by of a small colony) or Otway Sound or Magdalena Island in Punta Arenas. Thankfully I did not do the latter tour, which should have been cancelled due to weather in the first place: those who did spent six hours on an open boat in freezing rain to see fewer than a half-dozen penguins. Celebrity ended up giving 50% refunds.

I wish I had more to add other than confirming that it appears to be a total crapshoot. As for overcrowding in Puerto Madryn, I can't speak for Punta Tombo but as long as both ships are able to dock (not tender) there should be no issues with ship's tours as all the sights there are well spread out. But as well as crowding, Puerto Montt turned out to be ill-equipped for two ships as there was only a single tender dock for the Infinity and the Veendam to alternately use.

And FYI: Ushuaia National Park was insanely crowded even with only one ship in port--fourteen buses on the Beagle Channel plus National Park tour! I have always said that the premium paid for ships tours is justified by having them do all the organizing for you, but here's a rare exception: a private tour, or a taxi from the pier, is the way to go in Ushuaia.

Archived