Check your online preferences

Here are the Upgrade choices in the C&A member area.

Upgrade Preferences: I prefer an automatic upgrade

1. I would like an upgrade but have restrictions

1. I do not wish to be upgraded to the Inside Promenade staterooms
    2. I am traveling with friends or family and would like our rooms to be near one another
    3. I do not wish to be upgraded to Boardwalk or Promenade staterooms
    4. I need an accessible stateroom
    5. I am sailing on consecutive sailings
    6. I would like to stay on the same deck as my current stateroom
    7. I only wish to be upgraded to a stateroom that is near an elevator

When I originally booked this cruise back in September of 2011, there was a simple checkbox option stating that you do NOT wish to be upgraded automatically, which would then require them to call you. RCL probably "upgraded" their computer system, and since that "option" was eliminated, my preferences were wiped out... BUT.. that is no excuse, since I had my C&A account noted at the time of the booking that there was to be no upgrades.

If I was a cynical person, I would say someone wanted your cabin, deleted all your information, moved you, then could say it was "your fault".

I suspect this as well. Too many stories circulating about people in prime aft balcony cabins being "upgraded" on here... I imagine that there are many more "upgrades" that happen to people who are not part of cruise critic.

We just booked the Allure and got a large interior room, if they want to upgrade me they can. I agree I think they should call you and let you know you can be upgraded but not without asking.. but hey this time i dont care I cant be in anything worse lol.. except the thrid level :eek:

You were upgraded from a D1 balcony cabin to a Junior Suite...ok so the D1 was an aft...still don't see the big deal as I would take the JS any day....then you even got them to give you compensation above that...and your still not happy.

You might not see the big deal but if you read the OP's post properly you should at least empathise with them in that being at the rear and the wake is a big part of their trip.

Did you miss this information ????????????????

Not to keep rehashing this...but this wasn't a case of the OP just being switched to another cabin of equal category....the OP was given an upgrade....many people would very much appreciate that and Royal was just trying to make a happy customer by upgrading them. Upon boarding the ship customer relations did tell them how they needed to handle this. The OP told guest relations..."we would just take the cabin" and "send us a bottle of wine for our troubles". As far as guest relation was concerned the issue was resolved. If the OP was that unhappy why didn't they pursue this further :confused: All they had to do was have guest services leave a voice-mail for the guests in 1400 to please give them a call and they could have tried to resolve this issue. I would also bet that if the new guests in 1400 were given the choice to trade cabins and be upgraded even further than they were to a JS they probably would have jumped on it....they may have not also...but at least the hotel Mgr would have been involved at that point and some type of resolution would have been made. That is how this should have been approached.....instead the OP made their intentions of taking the cabin known and as long as they got a bottle of wine they would be happy. Then the OP upon returning wanted to get double points and argued that point....Royal never gives double points to C&A guests who are upgraded from a standard cabin to a JS or above....that is policy....but the OP wanted that policy disregarded and went thru 3 different people to try to get the double points .....Royal stood ground on the policy BUT went ahead with the kind gesture of giving the OP and his wife $100 future cruise certificate....which is what I am pretty sure they did....I know the OP keeps saying they got a $100 OBC but I don't know how that could be unless it was applied to a future sailing they already have booked. So if it is a future cruise certificate it will come in the mail. The OP agreed that that was acceptable but now again wants to try to renegotiate since they don't see anything yet.

Folks....the world not perfect....things occur...and when they do you try to resolve them...that is what guest relations would have tried to do but wasn't given that chance...instead they were lead to believe that the issue is resolved. Bottom line....there are ways you do things and ways you don't...it sounds like Royal may have made an initial mistake but I also see they really weren't given the opportunity to try to correct it right from the get-go.

Oh Steve - get off your high horse !!!!!!!

Today I received a letter in the mail from RCCL which confirmed that they have given us 2 codes that will translate into 100 dollars in OBC for a future cruise to be used in the next year... so the saga is over...

Watch your afts... :D

I hope RC is reading this! I also think there should be more choices for upgrades or no upgrades listed for checking. I checked that I would prefer being called rather than just a upgrade to a higher category. Generally, I choose a location that I prefer and a upgrade could be at one extreme of the ship or the other....which would mean a lot of walking. RC should keep in mind that not everyone is comfortable just anywhere on the ship. I have read on these boards "be careful what you ask for....."!!!!

The preferences screen has changed, and Royal Caribbean has, in their infinite wisdom, left out the option for "no upgrades without approval". This used to be a selection on the options screen. I told C&A to note my account in a very obvious way that under no circumstances am I to be upgraded without consent. My wife's account has been noted also.

If I don't see the OBC in the next week, I may have to escalate this and see if I can't get them to increase the compensation. The more I think about this, the more irritated I get. We really needed this vacation and really needed it to be what we had anticipated. I can see if something happens outside of Royal Caribbean's control (like bad weather in hurricane season), but this was in their control. And as Diamond members, we have spent a good chunk of change with them. We always cruise D1 or above, always spend money on the ship, etc. You would think that they would be more willing to do something for us. If the OBC comes, I will take it and be quiet, because I agreed to it.. but if it doesn't, game on.

Don

What difference does it make if you are a Diamond,Gold ,Plat ,etc. member. Are we to be impressed. What RCL did was wrong but I assure you that your level of loyality will have nothing to do with any type of compensation youmay or may not receive. Several months ago there was a thread of where RCL renumbered cabins after the ship was refurbished and the aft cabins on a floor were renumbered and were now cabins on the side of the ship. Original bookers DID NOTget their cabins back. This fiasco went all the way to the top. Be happy and move on.:):)

Today I received a letter in the mail from RCCL which confirmed that they have given us 2 codes that will translate into 100 dollars in OBC for a future cruise to be used in the next year... so the saga is over...

Watch your afts... :D

What difference does it make if you are a Diamond,Gold ,Plat ,etc. member. Are we to be impressed. What RCL did was wrong but I assure you that your level of loyality will have nothing to do with any type of compensation youmay or may not receive. Several months ago there was a thread of where RCL renumbered cabins after the ship was refurbished and the aft cabins on a floor were renumbered and were now cabins on the side of the ship. Original bookers DID NOTget their cabins back. This fiasco went all the way to the top. Be happy and move on.:):)

The OP was thoughtful enough to come back and inform us that this issue as been resolved as promised and he has moved on. (See above post which I guess you did not read before criticizing the OP)

IMO the OP did us a service by reminding everyone to check their profile and booking.

I'm glad I found this message! I checked our profiles and sure enough the notification before upgrade is no longer an option and I know I had it selected for both of us in the past..........as recently as our last cruise in September.

On another note, we were Emerald on this trip and I selected our gift preferences and laughed when I saw one can of soda! I thought we would get a six pack.

I hope RC is reading this! I also think there should be more choices for upgrades or no upgrades listed for checking. I checked that I would prefer being called rather than just a upgrade to a higher category. Generally, I choose a location that I prefer and a upgrade could be at one extreme of the ship or the other....which would mean a lot of walking. RC should keep in mind that not everyone is comfortable just anywhere on the ship. I have read on these boards "be careful what you ask for....."!!!!

You better check again as they no longer offer the option to be called before upgrade...At least on my "upgrade preferences page"

I have been in corner AFTS with a hugh wrap around balcony and I have been in Jr. Suites. And while I will wait a year or more for that corner AFT to open I have no problem being upgraded to a Jr. Suite if one becomes available. As long as I am not "down graded" I would be happy just to be on the ship. Especially if I get compenstated for the mistake.

BTW I know it means By The Way, but exactly what does "by the way" actually mean?

Archived