Check your online preferences

Well if you felt that strongly...you should have had your TA call Royal and had the reservation noted NO UPGRADE. I get that that you did have checked do not upgrade without notification....but that still kind of means that you are interested in upgrading. You did get a future OBC (THAT YOU AGREED UPON)...IMO that was already being gracious... now you want to call and renegotiate...good luck with that.

I don't have a TA, I handle everything myself. I DID note my account as NO UPGRADES without notification. There once was an option on the website to note that very clearly. I had also told C&A that at the time we booked 1400.

If you pay attention and read carefully, I stated that IF they did NOT send the OBC (just like they DIDN'T send the wine to our cabin), THEN I would attempt to renegotiate the compensation. If the OBC comes, I will just chalk it up to experience, since I did agree to it out of frustration of being on the phone for most of 2 hours.

I cruise alot. Maybe not as much as some, but enough. I made diamond in 5 years. I don't get cheap cabins, and I do spend money on board. It's not like I am some big whiner looking to get something for nothing. When you are loyal to a company, they should do right by you. Our vacation time is precious. When I book something, I expect to get what I booked.

You don't understand. I get that. That doesn't mean I am wrong, or unreasonable. It just means that my expectations are different than yours. Get over it.

Don

I don't have a TA, I handle everything myself. I DID note my account as NO UPGRADES without notification. There once was an option on the website to note that very clearly. I had also told C&A that at the time we booked 1400.

If you pay attention and read carefully, I stated that IF they did NOT send the OBC (just like they DIDN'T send the wine to our cabin), THEN I would attempt to renegotiate the compensation. If the OBC comes, I will just chalk it up to experience, since I did agree to it out of frustration of being on the phone for most of 2 hours.

I cruise alot. Maybe not as much as some, but enough. I made diamond in 5 years. I don't get cheap cabins, and I do spend money on board. It's not like I am some big whiner looking to get something for nothing. When you are loyal to a company, they should do right by you. Our vacation time is precious. When I book something, I expect to get what I booked.

You don't understand. I get that. That doesn't mean I am wrong, or unreasonable. It just means that my expectations are different than yours. Get over it.

Don

Congrats....you have posted that at least 3X already in this thread....be sure to tell Royal that also.....good luck.

Don

Don, I totally agree with you. Thank you for the heads up--I am going to look at our preferences. We always book what we WANT, and generally it's two cabins. We don't wait for a "free" upgrade. I wouldn't want our vacation changed by someone sitting in behind a desk in MIA. Their idea of what's best isn't always what mine is for various reason. Sorry you have to still deal with this. Kirsten :)

Actually, what I want is for them to call me and ASK if I want an upgrade. That gives me the opportunity to decide if the upgrade is something I want. Let's face it, some of these upgrades are little more than changing the room location. That probably doesn't interest me, since we usually pick a specific location. If you want to upgrade our JS to GS, then I might be interested.

I would have to say that Royal has most likely eliminated that option as a cost savings effort. It takes time and money to call each person they want to upgrade.....I guess they are trying to make it that you either take an automatic upgrade or not. You can call and have your resi noted with the restriction...but my guess is that they are going to upgrade the folks first that make it the easiest for them.

Congrats....you have posted that at least 3X already in this thread....be sure to tell Royal that also.....good luck.

The reason I mention it is because many people go on one cruise, have a waiter spill water on their laps, and expect a free cruise in a Royal Suite. The point I was making is that

1) I have been around

2) They should be more receptive of their repeat customers

3) I am not a cheapskate looking for a free-bee

I don't know what your problem is, but if you don't want to add constructively to the conversation, you are free to ignore the thread. I am simply warning people to check their settings because once again, Royal Caribbean's wonderful website wiped out information.

I'm going on my first cruise in March, so I have little to add for comparisons in cabin choices or even how to ensure the cabin you want. HOWEVER, I can say that we have been UBER planning this vacation for over 8 months and still have 5 more months of planning to go. We picked the very last Boardwalk Balcony on the Allure, because we want the pleasure of seeing the wake, watching the shows and enjoying all the festivities going on down on the Boardwalk below. I know that I would personally be disappointed if I got to the ship only to discover our cabin, that we hand-picked, had been given away. We had every opportunity to pick a D1 superior ocean view balcony at the same cost. We talked it over and decided we wanted a variety of views, so we chose the cabin we did. I, personally, think if RCCL is going to change someone's cabin, that a courtesy call would be a nice and simple gesture. No matter which side of this coin you sit on, both sides seem to agree that there are hundreds of people behind you that would GLADLY take your upgrade, so why force an upgrade on someone? Wouldn't a phone call make more sense in that everyone ends up happy?

My dad is a long-time cruiser and cruises often. Recently, his trans-atlantic cruise dropped considerably after final payment. He contacted our TA (we use the same one) to see if she could do anything for him. She was able to upgrade him from an inside cabin to a suite (one of the bigger suites, can't remember what it's called, other than it comes with a large balcony and a butler. How's THAT for an upgrade!). Anyway, after I made final payment on our upcoming cruise, our wonderful TA told us that if we, too, come across a great sale or drop in price, she would do her best to get us upgraded as well. I promptly thanked her and begged that she NOT upgrade us. We really want that simple B1 cabin. I would be more than happy with a bottle of wine in our cabin instead :cool:

So, to the OP, I'm sorry for the disappointment you incurred in the change of cabin locations. I hope you enjoyed the remainder of your cruise despite the change.

I would have to say that Royal has most likely eliminated that option as a cost savings effort. It takes time and money to call each person they want to upgrade.....I guess they are trying to make it that you either take an automatic upgrade or not. You can call and have your resi noted with the restriction...but my guess is that they are going to upgrade the folks first that make it the easiest for them.

Good point. I went into my reservation and my settings and there is nowhere that I can see to select any kind of option on my cabin selection. Is this because I'm a newbie cruiser and not yet a member of C&A? I'm hoping like all get out that any upgrades would pass me be as I'm the lowest of lows on the totem pole :p

FWIW, I called C&A, and they said that if you do not have the "I prefer an automatic upgrade" box checked they will call you before they give you an upgrade.

I did receive a call from the customer loyalty people right before the cruise. Perhaps she was supposed to mention the upgrade, but in the flux of the conversation, forgot to... I can see that happening. We were talking for a good 4 or 5 minutes about the cruises I have been on, the winter that we (both from the north) were dreading, etc, so on and so forth.

My assumption is that if you have NONE of the boxes checked on the upgrade profile they will NOT upgrade you automatically. Is that not the case?

You cannot save it without a selection. If you pick 'I would like an upgrade but have restrictions', you cannot save the page without selecting a restriction. It's either automatic or with restrictions and no other choices.

FWIW, I called C&A, and they said that if you do not have the "I prefer an automatic upgrade" box checked they will call you before they give you an upgrade.

They will also tell you that they upgrade in order of C&A status, and that's not true, either. To paraphrase Steve, they will do whatever is quickest for them. Their written policy often flies out the window.

Thank you for the head's up. I have two cruises booked with aft balconies that I absolutely do not want upgraded, and as I check prices twice daily I also check to make sure the cabin numbers have not changed. I don't care about the extra square footage in a JS and specifically don't want a bathtub; I want the aft balcony, period. I just checked my upgrade preferences and found nothing selected. There was no option for "do not upgrade", so I called to have a notation put on my reservations. The CVP was quite pleasant and volunteered to call C&A for me. She put me on hold, and when she got back to me she wasn't quite so pleasant. She told me that C&A has the ability to mark upgrade preferences to "do not upgrade without calling first", even though members do not have that option. I wish there was an option to select preferences for individual cruises, as I have a couple of other cruises booked where I would welcome an upgrade. I would rather give up the option of upgrades on those cruises, though, than risk losing my aft balconies.

I'm going on my first cruise in March, so I have little to add for comparisons in cabin choices or even how to ensure the cabin you want. HOWEVER, I can say that we have been UBER planning this vacation for over 8 months and still have 5 more months of planning to go. We picked the very last Boardwalk Balcony on the Allure, because we want the pleasure of seeing the wake, watching the shows and enjoying all the festivities going on down on the Boardwalk below. I know that I would personally be disappointed if I got to the ship only to discover our cabin, that we hand-picked, had been given away. We had every opportunity to pick a D1 superior ocean view balcony at the same cost. We talked it over and decided we wanted a variety of views, so we chose the cabin we did. I, personally, think if RCCL is going to change someone's cabin, that a courtesy call would be a nice and simple gesture. No matter which side of this coin you sit on, both sides seem to agree that there are hundreds of people behind you that would GLADLY take your upgrade, so why force an upgrade on someone? Wouldn't a phone call make more sense in that everyone ends up happy?

My dad is a long-time cruiser and cruises often. Recently, his trans-atlantic cruise dropped considerably after final payment. He contacted our TA (we use the same one) to see if she could do anything for him. She was able to upgrade him from an inside cabin to a suite (one of the bigger suites, can't remember what it's called, other than it comes with a large balcony and a butler. How's THAT for an upgrade!). Anyway, after I made final payment on our upcoming cruise, our wonderful TA told us that if we, too, come across a great sale or drop in price, she would do her best to get us upgraded as well. I promptly thanked her and begged that she NOT upgrade us. We really want that simple B1 cabin. I would be more than happy with a bottle of wine in our cabin instead :cool:

So, to the OP, I'm sorry for the disappointment you incurred in the change of cabin locations. I hope you enjoyed the remainder of your cruise despite the change.

You can do the same on RCI after final payment. If a higher category is less than what you paid you can upgrade.

You cannot save it without a selection. If you pick 'I would like an upgrade but have restrictions', you cannot save the page without selecting a restriction. It's either automatic or with restrictions and no other choices.

You can have both boxes unchecked...mine are.

They will also tell you that they upgrade in order of C&A status, and that's not true, either. To paraphrase Steve, they will do whatever is quickest for them. Their written policy often flies out the window.

So are you thinking that maybe C&A will upgrade people with "automatic" selected over higher point C&A members with "call me" selected? It would certainly be faster and easier for them to do this.

Bob

This whole discussion is probably moot anyway...I've never been offered anything, and it seems like a lot of people are in the same boat...so to speak. OTOH, there's always hope.

Don

IMO you have a good reason to be disappointed although as you said you still had a great cruise. Good luck getting what you were promised.

So are you thinking that maybe C&A will upgrade people with "automatic" selected over higher point C&A members with "call me" selected? It would certainly be faster and easier for them to do this.

Bob

C&A upgrades are different than revenue upgrades....it seems that a lot of the upgrades...at least the bulk are done by revenue...then some are released if left to C&A...it's the C&A upgrades that are the ones that go (or at least supposed to) to the highest raking C&A members on down. The revenue dept upgrades I don't think they care at all about where you rank as far as C&A status....so yes...IMO if it makes their job easier they will just upgrade to those that are the least involved....of course this is speculation;)

I am not in the loyalty program...yet. So I do not have a 'preference' box to check.

However, when I booked my cruise, the only time I saw the "do you want an upgrade if available" box was when I originally booked online.

Just trying to help the RC newbies out there.

Oh how disappointing! To bad since the other couple hadn't checked in yet, and your luggage was still destined for 1400, that somehow customer relations couldn't have gotten a message to the pier and make arrangements for the other couple to change. Especially since they knew you had booked it first.

I would have been pretty upset too. A JS is nice, but it's like anything else. Location, location, location. And a corner Aft is definitely prime location. :(

When I kept hearing about these surprise automatic upgrades I called and asked how to avoid one. I had the exact room I wanted (center of the hump d1 on deck 8) and did not want to upgrade it with anything else. They specifically marked it on my reservation for me that I did not wish to be offered or accept any upgrades.

Baja - rude. Period.

Anyway, as a first time cruiser (in Jan) I don't have the option to 'check any boxes'. We booked with RCCL by phone and chose a corner aft balcony 19 months out from our cruise. I, too, spend time dreaming of the view and would be extremely upset if I got to the pier and found they had changed my stateroom. Seems unreasonable on RC's part to expect you to wait for the passengers now assigned there to ask them to switch. I made sure to note with the rep that I wanted no upgrades. Hope it doesn't happen to me.

OP - sorry this happened to you :(.

Baja - rude. Period.

Anyway, as a first time cruiser (in Jan) I don't have the option to 'check any boxes'. We booked with RCCL by phone and chose a corner aft balcony 19 months out from our cruise. I, too, spend time dreaming of the view and would be extremely upset if I got to the pier and found they had changed my stateroom. Seems unreasonable on RC's part to expect you to wait for the passengers now assigned there to ask them to switch. I made sure to note with the rep that I wanted no upgrades. Hope it doesn't happen to me.

OP - sorry this happened to you :(.

I love Baja.

Archived