Honfleur or Albaster Coast (Etretat & Fecamp)

Cy'all@C

Tough call but if you have to choose Honfleur is certainly the place to be for lunch (eat at one of the cafes around the small harbor). That being said, 2 years ago we had a long port day in Le Havre and rented a car. We managed to get to Honfleur, Deauville, Fecamp and Entretat in a single day. But having been to Honfleur on several ocassions we did rush through that village a bit faster then normal.

Hank

Thanks Junky and Hank. Two out of two for Honfleur! Does it really look as enchanting as the photos depict with the reflections in the harbor? It reminds me of Nyhavn in Copenhagen. Imagining ourselves at one of the cafes along the harbor does seem inviting.

I admire the ones who can drive on their own in foreign places but navigating the USA is crazy enough for us! We can do both with the ships tours (I know, I know) if we make it a very long day. But being on the heels of a 10.5 hr. tour (Mont St. Michel) the day before we are hesitant to do so.

I could be swayed though.... :D

Trudy

Thanks Junky and Hank. Two out of two for Honfleur! Does it really look as enchanting as the photos depict with the reflections in the harbor? It reminds me of Nyhavn in Copenhagen. Imagining ourselves at one of the cafes along the harbor does seem inviting.

Hi Trudy

I haven't been to the other places' date=' but if you get lucky with the weather Honfleur is a truly gorgeous place. I made this from my day there

and that bowl of mussels in that setting is a lunch I won't ever forget. All the best with whatever you decide, Tony

I admire the ones who can drive on their own in foreign places but navigating the USA is crazy enough for us! We can do both with the ships tours (I know' date=' I know)[/i'] if we make it a very long day. But being on the heels of a 10.5 hr. tour (Mont St. Michel) the day before we are hesitant to do so.

I could be swayed though.... :D

Trudy

We do think the small U shaped harbor (with many cafes) is enchanting and love stopping there for a long lunch (we have had amazing moules et frites at these cafes when moules are in season). But, beyond that small harbor and a quick stroll around town we have no reason to spend additional time in Honfleur. For us its a place for lunch. And that gets back to one of the reasons we prefer a to rent cars in many ports....freedom to do what we want, when we want, with whom we want.

Regarding renting cars in Europe, the procedure is identical to renting a car at home. In France you only need a valid drivers license and major credit card. The roads in this part of France are pretty rural (and easy to drive) once you get out of Le Havre (also relatively easy). For those who cannot read maps or are concerned about getting lost you can always rent a GPS (we have our own with European maps). We do think that drivers should acquaint themselves with the parking rules which can differ in different countries. In France there are paid parking lots/garages marked with the large blue 'P" sign and also on the street parking. If you do park on the street where its metered there will usually be 1 or 2 meters on each block. You simply buy a parking ticket for the amount of time you prefer and then put the ticket inside your car on top of the dash so its visible. The tickets are imprinted with the expiration time. In the case of LeHavre there is even a rental car agency located right inside the main cruise port terminal building but you can also reserve cars with the usual major companies such as Hertz, Avis, Europcar, Budget, etc. However in Le Havre, other then the one company in the terminal (I think its actually called "Rent a Car") you would probably need a taxi to get you to the rental car office (unless you like very long walks).

Hank

Hi Trudy

I haven't been to the other places, but if you get lucky with the weather Honfleur is a truly gorgeous place. I made this from my day there

and that bowl of mussels in that setting is a lunch I won't ever forget. All the best with whatever you decide, Tony

LOVED your videos! I watch a bunch of them today and look forward to viewing more! Thanks for posting.

We do think the small U shaped harbor (with many cafes) is enchanting and love stopping there for a long lunch (we have had amazing moules et frites at these cafes when moules are in season). But, beyond that small harbor and a quick stroll around town we have no reason to spend additional time in Honfleur. For us its a place for lunch. And that gets back to one of the reasons we prefer a to rent cars in many ports....freedom to do what we want, when we want, with whom we want.

Regarding renting cars in Europe, the procedure is identical to renting a car at home. In France you only need a valid drivers license and major credit card. The roads in this part of France are pretty rural (and easy to drive) once you get out of Le Havre (also relatively easy). For those who cannot read maps or are concerned about getting lost you can always rent a GPS (we have our own with European maps). We do think that drivers should acquaint themselves with the parking rules which can differ in different countries. In France there are paid parking lots/garages marked with the large blue 'P" sign and also on the street parking. If you do park on the street where its metered there will usually be 1 or 2 meters on each block. You simply buy a parking ticket for the amount of time you prefer and then put the ticket inside your car on top of the dash so its visible. The tickets are imprinted with the expiration time. In the case of LeHavre there is even a rental car agency located right inside the main cruise port terminal building but you can also reserve cars with the usual major companies such as Hertz, Avis, Europcar, Budget, etc. However in Le Havre, other then the one company in the terminal (I think its actually called "Rent a Car") you would probably need a taxi to get you to the rental car office (unless you like very long walks).

Hank

Thanks for the info. Would be quite adventurous for us though. I think that's why we like cruising so much. We wake up in a new place each day and leave the driving to someone else! ;)

Trudy

Archived