Solstice - Alaska Aft or Hump

ProfessorandtheGeek

We are trying to decide between a couple of cabins for Alaska for the Solstice. They are:

7315, 7360, 7364 aft or 9292 hump

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Oh we are looking at going in May 2013. Thanks in advance!

I would book the hump!! I tried an aft cabin just once...and I felt like I was going "backwards" the entire cruise!!!...with sorta a "tunnel vision" aspect!! :p I booked it because many CCers LOVE them...and I respect that....just not my cup of tea....the hump can give you (based on the cabin) a larger balcony as well...We have done Alaska about 5 times and love the time spent out on the balcony...especially during the glacier days. Either way....we love that ship and class and you will have fun!!! And...we think mid May is the perfect time to go....it has been mild (luck of the draw) and no mosquitos!!! :eek: LuAnn

Here's the other side of the coin.

IMHO there is nothing like the view from the back of the ship and the constant view of the wake, very calming.

There must be a reason why the largest suites are almost always on the back of the ship ex. PH on the Summit.

Try it and you'll probably never go forward again. ;)

Here's the other side of the coin.

IMHO there is nothing like the view from the back of the ship and the constant view of the wake, very calming.

There must be a reason why the largest suites are almost always on the back of the ship ex. PH on the Summit.

Try it and you'll probably never go forward again. ;)

as I hope you do mine!! ;) LuAnn

Our only aft cabin was on the Millie to Alaska, a C1. Considering the weather and the amount of time in port we would not pay extra again for an aft on an Alaska Cruise. If it was a Caribbean Cruise we would gladly book an aft since the view of the wake was great.

Mary Lou

We are trying to decide between a couple of cabins for Alaska for the Solstice. They are:

7315, 7360, 7364 aft or 9292 hump

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Oh we are looking at going in May 2013. Thanks in advance!

We have done Alaska several times and the AFT is worth the money, HANDS DOWN!!! This is from personal experience. When they turn the ship, there is nothing like the AFT view!!!!

A highlight of our Alaska cruise on the Mercury was our Aft cabin. We were protected from the wind and often breakfasted on our balcony. By the time the ship turned at Hubbard Glacier we were frozen and dashed back to our proctected Aft cabin for snacks and a drink as the ship slowly moved out of the fiord. The Aft cabin also allowed us to view both shores in narrower channels.

The Mercury was 1800 passengers and the biggest ship (previously cruises have been 200-300 passengers) we had been on and we did find it a long walk to the bow at times.

We are on the Dec 31st Eqiunox cruise and I originally booked an Aft cabin but have changed it to closer to mid-ship so my DH won't be complaining about walking so far. I think we will miss our aft view, but we did get a hump cabin on the resort deck.

I'd definetaley go for the Aft!

. . . IMHO there is nothing like the view from the back of the ship and the constant view of the wake, very calming. . . .

Particularly in AK with the inside passage, the aft cabins are the best.

We've been in AK in May and very early June at least four times now and it has always been quite pleasant (no shorts whilst sitting on the balconey of a moving ship, but comforatable enough) I'm from Wisconsin though --

Normally I avoid the back of the ship due to motion issues, but for an Alaska cruise where the ship is not out at sea all that much, I would definitely pick the back of the ship. You have a much wider range of sight - which is a decided advantage on Alaska cruises where you never know what wildlife will appear in which direction.

Archived