Where on the ship do you prefer your stateroom location to be?

kencruisefever

We prefer mid-ships, near stairs and elevators and on the deck closest to the pool deck, as that is where we spend the majority of our time. Side of the ship doesn't matter one little bit! You have a 50/50 chance of facing the dock or harbor....it's not the same at each port, or even at the same port every time!

We prefer mid to aft as there is a lot lesss motion. When sailing Princess I always try to get a Balcony on the Caribe deck as they are larger and half covered. Port or Starboard has become less of an issue now as with the larger ships, if they back into port which is common, the Starboard side is actually on the Port then . So now it is not predictable, we used to prefer Starboard so while in Port our room was less visible to those walking around along side the ship, just my 2 cents

Hi Cb at Sea: We've just booked on the Freedom of the Seas, in cabin 7608, Deck 7, mid ship. Do you know which side the dock is on, coming into St Thomas and St Maarten? We've been fortunate in the past, to have booked an outside balcony, where we can slowly watch the ship nearing land, and its so pretty. I'm hoping everything interesting isn't on the opposite side this time. Thanks!

We always cruise Royal Caribbean. And we always book a balcony. For some reason, are staterooms are always on the starboard side of the ship. That is where we booked our first cabin on our first cruise, so I always seem to book cabins on that side. I have directional issues, so that seems to help me keep me from getting confused. We also tend to book near the aft elevator/stairs.

As far as deck is concerned, it varies from ship to ship. On the Oasis Class, we prefer deck 6. It is close to everything except the pool area. On the other ships, it doesn't matter.

I have just returned from an Eastern Med cruise on Navigator of the Seas (RCI) The ship was a very large ship and I had a stateroom with balcony on Deck 6 (the first deck of balcony cabins) on the starboard side. The cabin was designated midships, although I would say nearer to the back than the front. Being starboard meant that each time we docked we had a view of the port and a view of the countryside we were about to visit. I think when I book my next cruise I will book a starboard side balcony cabin for this reason. I hope this helps and if you want more info please let me know

It depends on where we are sailing. Our last cruise I made sure our cabin faced the sunset, loved it. We prefer a balcony, use it a lot and we'll wait to afford it if we have to. We cruise because we love being on the ocean.

We generally prefer cabins in the aft part of the ship, in between decks that are cabins only. The only time we haven't cared for a cabin was when we had an ocean view on a low deck. I know a lot of people like that area, we just felt like we were in the basement.

It's good there are choices for all of us:)

• 2 weeks later...

My wife does a lot of research before we book our stateroom when we pick out a cruise. We prefer mid-ship to avoid the motion that can sometime occur.

When we were "newbies" we had a junior suite on the Veranda Deck on the Carnival Ecstasy. The ship caught some big waves because a front went through.

I've never seen such a pretty shade of green before or since on so many faces :D

If we can't get an aft cabin I pick another cruise. Love the wake and the lack of wind when we are at sea. For the most part the balconies are bigger and there is very little traffic outside the cabin with the exception of those who live there. The wife and I are fortunate that neither of us suffer from motion sickness. The ship does move more back there and yes there is a tad more noise pulling into and out of port and yes you do have to walk farther to the elevators but for us no aft cabin - no cruise. We have turned down upgrades that would have moved us from the back of the ship.

Edited by Gunner22aa
forgot something

• 2 weeks later...

I have experienced 4 mid-ship, mid-deck cabin locations.

I have experienced 1 "hump" cabin.

I have experienced 1 aft cabin suite.

IMO, there is no comparison; an AFT cabin is the ultimate cruising experience!

180 degree panoramic views. Solitude. Captivating views of the ship's wake.

Virtually no foot traffic pass your cabin door. Awesome views during port

arrivals and departures. Usually much larger verandahs.

Proof: check cabin availability, on a cruise, two years ahead of time.

Which cabin location is booked, that far ahead? AFT cabins.

As a few have said, there is no comparison to an Aft cabin. You get less traffic outside your door which equals less noise. You have a larger balcony to relax on first thing in the morning or at night with a large view and the colorful wake from the ship. The movement of the ship lulls you to sleep nicely as well.

I have had an inside cabin (felt like I was in a closet, but was a cheap cruise), an ocean view (enjoyed seeing the water and depending on what way the ship came in, the port) and an aft balcony (big balcony, suttle rocking, less noise).

Will never have another room other than an aft balcony now and we go as high up as we can. Of course these are just my opinions and we all like different things....LOL !! :p

Edited by The Grays

We prefer mid-ship if at all possible. Depending upon the ship, we have sailed mostly Royal Caribbean's Enchantment of the Seas, deck 4. If we choose a balcony, we usually like deck 7 or 8 aft. Hope this helps.

• 4 weeks later...
As a few have said, there is no comparison to an Aft cabin. You get less traffic outside your door which equals less noise. You have a larger balcony to relax on first thing in the morning or at night with a large view and the colorful wake from the ship. The movement of the ship lulls you to sleep nicely as well.

I have had an inside cabin (felt like I was in a closet, but was a cheap cruise), an ocean view (enjoyed seeing the water and depending on what way the ship came in, the port) and an aft balcony (big balcony, suttle rocking, less noise).

Will never have another room other than an aft balcony now and we go as high up as we can. Of course these are just my opinions and we all like different things....LOL !! :p

We had a balcony towards the aft. We thought the rocking was nice and very gentle. It was close to the buffet...short elevator ride up. Next time I might try and get a bit toward midship. Sometimes we had to walk pretty far to things, but it was good exercise. I loved our balcony, but wouldn't pay more than maybe $200 difference for it. I would rather save the money for more onboard spending!

Leisha

• 3 weeks later...

Midship. (If I'm not cruising solo, it seems I'm almost always with a first time cruiser. Easier to just avoid possible motion problems all together.) Low deck and inside. I love the dark, DARKNESS of an inside cabin. Great sleeping. :) It also makes cruising much more affordable for me. Bonus!

I avoid booking cabins next to elevators, stairways or storage spaces. I've also learned (the hard way) not to book a cabin below the gym (people drop weights), or other public spaces. Being so low in the ship isn't a problem. I make it a point to take the stairs every where I go and I look at my cruise as an opportunity for exercise. (I admit the first day and a half are a challenge but it makes dinnertime that much more fun.)