Carrying Soda on board

We are going to be on the Monarch Oct 22nd leaving out of Port Canaveral. What are the rules as far as bringing your own soda on board. My last cruise on Carnival in May, we could each bring a 12 pack of soda. I prefer Diet Dew to coke products.

There are several different strategies and experiences. Best to search the forum rather than the same things being repeated.

I DID do a search.... When you search, it combines all of the catagories together ( at least when I search it does). I need to know what the RCI policy is.

I was just asking if anyone knew what the policy was... I wasn't asking about smuggling or anything against the rules. Just what the policy was at that port ( I know differnt ports have different practices as well) That is why I included the ship and the port.

matj2000: If you know of a recent post about RCI or experiences at Port Canveral, please let me know the subject and I will find it.

I DID do a search.... When you search, it combines all of the catagories together ( at least when I search it does). I need to know what the RCI policy is.

I was just asking if anyone knew what the policy was... I wasn't asking about smuggling or anything against the rules. Just what the policy was at that port ( I know differnt ports have different practices as well) That is why I included the ship and the port.

matj2000: If you know of a recent post about RCI or experiences at Port Canveral, please let me know the subject and I will find it.

From the RCI website.

Can I bring liquor or non-alcoholic beverages (from home or from a port) onboard?

A: Guests are not allowed to bring alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use. Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports-of-call or from Shops On Board will be stored by the ship and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the sailing. Alcoholic beverages seized on embarkation day will not be returned.

Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage etc.) and will dispose of containers holding alcohol. Guests who violate any alcohol policies, (over consume, provide alcohol to people under age 21, demonstrate irresponsible behavior, or attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage check points or any other time), may be disembarked or not allowed to board, at their own expense, in accordance with our Guest Conduct Policy. Guests who are under the permitted drinking age will not have alcohol returned to them.

I have carried water on board but can't say for Soda.

Port Canaveral has started to really look at your carry on. Off the Freedom last week and they were catching liquor/wine in carry on bags.

We take water/soda on every single cruise we go on and never have had an issue. used to take it on Monarch all the time. I either check it or carry it on, either way I have no problems. Now I pretty much check it all the time in a "tote" type cooler but I have put a 12 pack of soda in a duffel before and checked it with no problems.

I brought on in my carry on gatoraide, bottled water and a 6 pack of moutain dew on my Oasis cruise in August.

The security guard at the xray monitor called out to the other guard "LIQUIDS"-which meant the carry on bag had to be examined.

The guard opened up the carry on bag- made sure all bottles were sealed- shook the water bottles and let me board.

I had heard if the water bubbles/fizzes it is alcohol. This was not the case! I just had them left over from my 4 day pre-cruise in Ft Lauderdale.

That's why you have advanced search in the search dropdown, between New posts and Quick Links. :-)

From the RCI website.

Can I bring liquor or non-alcoholic beverages (from home or from a port) onboard?

A: Guests are not allowed to bring alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use. Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports-of-call or from Shops On Board will be stored by the ship and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the sailing. Alcoholic beverages seized on embarkation day will not be returned.

Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage etc.) and will dispose of containers holding alcohol. Guests who violate any alcohol policies, (over consume, provide alcohol to people under age 21, demonstrate irresponsible behavior, or attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage check points or any other time), may be disembarked or not allowed to board, at their own expense, in accordance with our Guest Conduct Policy. Guests who are under the permitted drinking age will not have alcohol returned to them.

[\quote]

The policy means nothing.

We carried on three cases of soda on the freedom out of port Canaveral and no one said anything nor did they even ask to search our carry-ons. For the most part it appears they do not enforce this policy unless it is booze.

There's the rule, then there's what really happens.

I always bring a couple sodas onboard, and I've never had anyone even look twice at me. I like to have a Diet Coke with my breakfast (I don't drink coffee), and the bar isn't usually open at breakfast in the Windjammer; thus, this works for me.

You are smuggling in a way. You are not purchasing the product on board. If you ask me which you have it is the same as bringing on alcohol. Do they let you bring it on and turn a blind eye to it 99% of the time yeah. But you are still taking away profits away from RCCL.

The rules say "NO"

However, I carried 5 six packs of Diet Rite Cola onto the Vision a 8 days ago. Nobody said a word when I ran it through the X-Ray machine in the Security Area,

Same here, except they did check it to make sure it wasn't alcohol.

You are smuggling in a way. You are not purchasing the product on board. If you ask me which you have it is the same as bringing on alcohol. Do they let you bring it on and turn a blind eye to it 99% of the time yeah. But you are still taking away profits away from RCCL.

And the soda package for $45-$50/person is a lot of profit. Unless you share it with 3-4 others while on board, which we did. Not sure why they turn an eye to soda, but not liquor.

It's a shame you spend $7,500+ for a cruise and no soda. Plus tips and all the other crap, you're up to $10,000 for 3 people.

Archived