How reliable are ferrys to Virgin Gorda?

kasi1979

Hi,

we are going to be in Tortola on friday 16/11.

We want to head over to Virgin Gorda and the Baths as DH has never been there.

As we do not care about snacks or lunch, we are considering taking the ferry on our own.

We should be able to make it on the 9 o´clock ferry over to Virgin Gorda.

Our ship leaves Tortola at 5pm so all aboard should be 4:30.

Which return time do you recommend for the ferry?

Is the ferry usually on time or do we have to calculate with lots of extra time?

Thanks.

3:30 Speedy's ferry (3::00 Smith's ferry on Sun) would work but you want to be at the Spanishtown ferry dock early and get in line so you don't miss it as others will have the same idea as you. To get back earlier or if you want to be extra safe and have a buffer you can take the 2:00 but you will be fine with the 3:30. The ferries are very regular but things can happen that are out of their control.

Have a great day on VG, if time permits stop at the Mineshaft Cafe for lunch and their signature drink, the Cave In. "It's all in the juice, Mon!". Great panoramic views from there too. Savannah Bay is also a nice place to relax.

Thanks,

as we are going to be there on a friday,

it seems the schedule is quite dfferent.

It´s either the 12:40pm or the 3:30pm ferry back.

I´m pretty sure the times were different when I started out on my quest for excursions a couple of weeks back...

You do have the 2PM ferry option. But if you are taking the Speedy's 9AM their return is at 3:30. Smith's departs RT at 8:50 and returns at 2PM. The question is can you use use one ticket for either ferry and I can't remember. There are also private small craft if you want to go directly to Devils Bay.

http://www.bvivacation.com/transportation/tortola-taxi-fares-rates.php#.UHq5bxB5mK2

I think they are pretty reliable unless a weather event happens.

Or they break down which is not uncommon.

You can find great info on the ferries by using the search function at travel talk online under the BVI forum.

Ferries require maintenance like anything else. The likelihood of you being delayed is almost nil, when there are problems they swap out ferries. Delays happen and that's why I recommend taking the next to last ferry just in case. But we've never had a problem on Tortola. On STT yes.

Archived