STUPID QUESTION - "OPEN JAW"???

High C's

That is when you fly into one city and fly out of another, all on the same trip.:)

Charles

Does that impact on the cost? When I play around with fares, I find it cheaper to do two round trips, and throw away the second portion. Not transatlantic, but when flying Europe (I need to fly TO Venice and FROM Barcelona). I want to travel BA only because on the way home I can check my baggage all the way through to Toronto. Any suggestions?

Does that impact on the cost? When I play around with fares' date=' I find it cheaper to do two round trips, and throw away the second portion. Not transatlantic, but when flying Europe (I need to fly TO Venice and FROM Barcelona). I want to travel BA only because on the way home I can check my baggage all the way through to Toronto. Any suggestions?[/quote']

If you book through the cruiseline pay the deviation fee to get the flight you want or just do your own airfare.

If you already are booked see if the TA can change it.

You can usually check your baggage through to Toronto.

We flew from Stockholm and never saw the luggage until TO.

Booking 2 tickets and throwing the return half away is not allowed and the airlines can charge back to your CC the cost of a 1 way ticket.... so why take a chance.

Does that impact on the cost? When I play around with fares' date=' I find it cheaper to do two round trips, and throw away the second portion. Not transatlantic, but when flying Europe (I need to fly TO Venice and FROM Barcelona). I want to travel BA only because on the way home I can check my baggage all the way through to Toronto. Any suggestions?[/quote']You should be able to do this trip with open-jaw pricing. Basically, the price is calculated by taking half of the applicable round-trip fare for each direction and adding them together. When it's allowed, it should be cheaper than buying two round-trip tickets and throwing away half of each.

There's a maximum length for the open sector (in your case Venice to Barcelona), which is a function of the lengths of the sectors actually flown. As you're originating in Toronto, this should not be an issue for you.

It sounds like you're already aware that Toronto-London-Venice on BA can only be done with a change of airports in London (Toronto operates to Heathrow, Venice operates from Gatwick) - and therefore you cannot check your bag through on the outbound routing. Barcelona-London-Toronto is not a problem provided that you are booked on a Barcelona-Heathrow flight.

The other thing to be aware of is that all Barcelona flights operated by BA and Iberia carry both BA and IB codes. Make sure you know which airline is going to operate your flight, if it matters to you. (It would certainly matter to me to ensure that I was flying BA, not Iberia.)

Great advice. Thank you so much! I had no idea that the airlines could charge back.

I'm not concerned about the Heathrow/Gatwick issue, as we plan on stopping in London for a couple of days on our way to Venice. Coming back works out perfectly.

BA works well for us because of their "Premium Plus" category - not quite Business class but much roomier than Economy. I'm not aware of any other carrier that provides this. We went this way last year, and I have to say that the flight was wonderful!

I will definitely pursue the "open jaw" for the European leg of my flights.

Thanks again!

Air Canada has Club Class (39-44 inch pitch) on many of their Internationally configured 767 aircraft.

Thanks DanJ. Is their "club class" between economy and business? Business class is way out of my price range, but want something a little more comfortable than economy for the long leg of the journey (DH has long legs). Thanks!:)

I only wish Virgin flew into Canada. Looking on their website is how I clued into this level of service to begin with!!!!

Just got off the phone with BA. As Globaliser reported, it was not a problem with BA to schedule the open jaw as required. Total cost - $203 (IN CANADIAN!!!). I am very pleased.

Thank you to everyone. Without Cruise Critic I would not have known of this option. You guys are the BEST!:D

Archived