msc vs carnival??

Virginia21

Yacht club comes with a lot of perks - should be very happy. Does it include the spa package? If not - definitely pre purchase - it was great. MSC is fine for couples or adults but don’t feel it’s a good fit with kids. My biggest complaint was the food. Main dining and buffet. Carnival wins hands down - can’t beat Guys Burgers.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Speaking of open decks, new Carnival ships are more open to the sea while MCS fantasia class is more closed in.

Front observation decks on the new Carnival ships (non available on MCS Fantasia-Splendida-Divina):

2mxpgmq.jpg

Carnival managed to feature a part of promenade wrapping the stern:

24yoff9.jpg

2qbaqts.jpg

Premium areas of upper deck on MSC Divina are reserved for Yacht Club guests (forward part) or available for extra charge (midships part).

There are no restrictions like that on the large Carnivals.

It will be interesting competition between three cruise lines (Carnival, NCL and MSC) that offer similar quality product for the same market segment (unless they have an agreement...:))

Enjoy your cruise!

Of course the Seaside has the same double wide style promenade that the Carnival Dream Class has, complete with pool in the back. The newest Carnival ships do have restrictions. The beautiful Havana Club and pool all the way aft is reserved for those booked into Havana Club cabins until the evening, when it opens up to everyone. So even Carnival has restrictions.

Hi there,

I just started looking into some msc cruises as the rates seem quite reasonable, which is great! Ive only cruised carnival, so if any of you have cruised both, what is the diffeerence in terms of food, cabins, kids clubs etc? Do they have water slides as well as pools.

my son is 7 he really loved the carnival camps.

thanks so much, any info would be appreciated!

trish

We were on the Seaside end of January. My 10 year old son loves kids clubs but not the MSC. So hard to explain rules and games in 7 languages so a lot of confusion. Was really disappointed with the food. No lobster unless you want to pay the up charge. My son is kind of a picky eater and struggled with the kids menu - cheese pizza without sauce? He had to find things on the adult menu but ended up going to the buffet. He enjoyed the slides and aqua park along with the zip line (glad to see the price coming down on it as we paid $50 for cabin pass). No arcade - unless a air hockey table ($2/game) and sit down motorcycle and car game count as an arcade. Bowling was fun but only can get about 1 game in 1/2 hour @ $25? Interactive 5D theatre was $10/adult and $8/kid for 5-10 minutes - we did twice to use up the fun pass. Oh..pools are all 6 feet deep so kids can’t just wade around. No mini golf. We had a balcony cabin and not much storage. We used a suitcase under the bed for his clothes and I had to double up our shirts as only 12 hangers. Maybe we pack to much. No problems with service. Shows were fun but pretty much the same stuff each night. They really didn’t have much to do with the title - just the costumes and back drop changed - but fun. Got to go the the Timeless show (Michael Jackson impersonator - awesome). Beautiful ship but we stick with Carnival over the MSC. We like to try different cruise lines and ships so we are going on the Harmony of the Sea next year. As far as budget and over all experience we feel Carnival does a great job. This ship is great for adults but wouldn’t recommend for kids.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

thanks to both of you for your replies I will look into booking one of their european cruises, the itineraries look wonderful.

One thing to keep in mind is that MSC in Europe is quite different than MSC out of Miami. MSC has taken great steps to Americanize the product on the ships out of Miami. Even with all their efforts, it's still not American enough for many. In Europe the MSC ships will be very International with primarily European passengers, and relatively few Americans onboard. You probably won't hear much English except for the Brits onboard. Personally I see this as a plus, but if you're used to Carnival, and want a more American-centric experience even in Europe then just keep in mind that won't be MSC. It will likely feel a bit foreign to you. That can be a good thing or bad thing depending on how you look at things.

In terms of ranking, I personally put MSC above Carnival, at least on the cruises out of Florida because those are the only MSC cruises I've sailed on. The ships are far more stunning and I think much cleaner and modern. Carnival cabins still look a bit like an IKEA dorm room. Carnival also uses a very dated ship design, going back to CARNIVAL DESTINY for the footprint of even their latest ships. Just more decks and more cabins added, but when you really look close it's still that dated and crowded Destiny ship design. It honestly was a never a great ship design to begin with.

I'm Platinum on Carnival and I've been sailing on them since the early 80's. I've pretty much outgrown them. They still offer a decent product but the clientele has changed a lot. No easy way to say it, but it's pretty trashy. This is the primary reason I don't sail on Carnival anymore. I've sailed MSC three times (3 different ships and classes) and to me it's just a better standard of passenger. I don't see the halls and stairways littered with beer bottles and room service trays like I do on Carnival, nor do I see fights, graffiti etched into elevators, and general really bad behavior all of which I've experienced numerous times on Carnival.

Just my two cents and of course people will disagree and thats fine, but it doesn't change how I feel and what I've experienced. I hope this helps a bit.

Of course the Seaside has the same double wide style promenade that the Carnival Dream Class has, complete with pool in the back. The newest Carnival ships do have restrictions. The beautiful Havana Club and pool all the way aft is reserved for those booked into Havana Club cabins until the evening, when it opens up to everyone. So even Carnival has restrictions.

You are 100% correct Ernie. I was in a Havana cabin last November.... There is seperation!! And the front portions of the Carnival ships...while access is nice...its virtually impossible to enjoy the views while the ship is cruising. Way too windy.

One thing to keep in mind is that MSC in Europe is quite different than MSC out of Miami. MSC has taken great steps to Americanize the product on the ships out of Miami. Even with all their efforts, it's still not American enough for many. In Europe the MSC ships will be very International with primarily European passengers, and relatively few Americans onboard. You probably won't hear much English except for the Brits onboard. Personally I see this as a plus, but if you're used to Carnival, and want a more American-centric experience even in Europe then just keep in mind that won't be MSC. It will likely feel a bit foreign to you. That can be a good thing or bad thing depending on how you look at things.

In terms of ranking, I personally put MSC above Carnival, at least on the cruises out of Florida because those are the only MSC cruises I've sailed on. The ships are far more stunning and I think much cleaner and modern. Carnival cabins still look a bit like an IKEA dorm room. Carnival also uses a very dated ship design, going back to CARNIVAL DESTINY for the footprint of even their latest ships. Just more decks and more cabins added, but when you really look close it's still that dated and crowded Destiny ship design. It honestly was a never a great ship design to begin with.

I'm Platinum on Carnival and I've been sailing on them since the early 80's. I've pretty much outgrown them. They still offer a decent product but the clientele has changed a lot. No easy way to say it, but it's pretty trashy. This is the primary reason I don't sail on Carnival anymore. I've sailed MSC three times (3 different ships and classes) and to me it's just a better standard of passenger. I don't see the halls and stairways littered with beer bottles and room service trays like I do on Carnival, nor do I see fights, graffiti etched into elevators, and general really bad behavior all of which I've experienced numerous times on Carnival.

Just my two cents and of course people will disagree and thats fine, but it doesn't change how I feel and what I've experienced. I hope this helps a bit.

I too frequent Carnival often (Platinum)....I couldn't agree more about your comments in the last paragraph (standard of passengers)....I've seen a big change as well!!

I too frequent Carnival often (Platinum)....I couldn't agree more about your comments in the last paragraph (standard of passengers)....I've seen a big change as well!!

I'm glad I'm not alone. It's too bad because otherwise I think Carnival offers a pretty good product, especially for the price. Lately though (last several years) I've seen the clientele get more and more trashy and obnoxious. Of course it's not everyone or even the majority and many great people sail Carnival, but its become enough that it ruins my enjoyment. I just don't want to spend my valuable vacation time around such bad behavior. No doubt any cruise line can have trashy people with bad behavior, but nothing to the extent I've witnessed on Carnival. Reading about those fights that recently broke out on two Carnival ships (one in Australia - 21 people disembarked I think) sort of reinforced my stance. Seems Carnival just attracts this type of person. Thankfully lots of other choices!

Same here. Although we are taking the kids on a short spring break cruise on Carnival, my wife and I will be on the Seaside in July enjoying the YC.

I mentioned once on the Carnival board how I didn't have a problem with their ships but I did with their cruisers.

Oh, boy, did I get beat up.

:eek:

No doubt! The bad behavior is even on the message boards. Par for the course I suppose. I believe Carnival is the only Cruise Critic message board where the moderators feel the need to include these two "sticky posts" at the top of the message board. Pretty much says it all.

40602936361_06f29e2f36_b.jpg

we started out with a comp interior bella experience. Very grateful for our comp upgrade to a balcony

we cannot however pay to upgrade to the fantastica experience even though our balcony is fantastica.

here is what i am seeing so far, in terms of what will be different... have never sailed MSC will be first in April

1. room service - delivery fee 3.95 plus pay for each item you order

2. unable to purchase drink coupons, cannot upgrade to the experience to get them, and cannot bring wine on board first day. This is something that really surprises me for several reasons... one being its a European line, and even when Carnival sails in Europe, you can bring on wine and alcohol in EVERY port, no issues, and secondly... you can purchase at $22 per bottle but its only chardonnay... i drink wine, but ABC ( anything but Chardonnay)

3. that mean you buy all drinks without the coupons

4. Free steakhouse dinner for black, but limited menu. If you giving a free dinner give a free dinner, not half of one.

5. Having to pay for air hockey, zip line and the like.. hhmm

6. cannot bring wine on board? cannot even bring bottled water or soda! had to purchase 14L of water ( cannot purchase smaller amount) for $37. Im told this water is served to us in dining room ( no i want it for my cabin and expect i will get water in the dining room, maybe not)

7. It seems this ship is going back to the days of the titanic.. where those more elite were kept further away from the commoners.. their own pool, dining, club etc... not sure i like that....

8.On Carnival if you are diamond as we are, you have dedicated phone numbers, dedicated line in guest services and basically, and diamond are guaranteed more things, for their past patronage. Not sure i see a whole lot with MSC.. example, guest services line.

these are observations and im not even on the ship yet... shall be interesting

Please do not take this the wrong way....But for someone who received a comp'd cruise.... you sure seem to be very picky and questioning everything. This isn't Carnival. I am Platinum on Carnival so I also have cruised that line frequently.....comparing is understandable...but whining/complaining seems a little too much. Also.... be fortunate MSC is doing a status match. I'm not aware of any cruise line which will match you to their highest level without ever stepping foot on their cruiseline. I would be grateful for whatever benefits/perks this membership gives me instead of complaining/questioning. This is the impression/vibes I get from reading your posts

Please do not take this the wrong way....But for someone who received a comp'd cruise.... you sure seem to be very picky and questioning everything. This isn't Carnival. I am Platinum on Carnival so I also have cruised that line frequently.....comparing is understandable...but whining/complaining seems a little too much. Also.... be fortunate MSC is doing a status match. I'm not aware of any cruise line which will match you to their highest level without ever stepping foot on their cruiseline. I would be grateful for whatever benefits/perks this membership gives me instead of complaining/questioning. This is the impression/vibes I get from reading your posts

LOL I know .People get FREE upgrade from inside free status match (hate MSC for this) and still complaining....

MSC STOP DOING STATUS MATCH .

I'm glad I'm not alone. It's too bad because otherwise I think Carnival offers a pretty good product, especially for the price. Lately though (last several years) I've seen the clientele get more and more trashy and obnoxious. Of course it's not everyone or even the majority and many great people sail Carnival, but its become enough that it ruins my enjoyment. I just don't want to spend my valuable vacation time around such bad behavior. No doubt any cruise line can have trashy people with bad behavior, but nothing to the extent I've witnessed on Carnival. Reading about those fights that recently broke out on two Carnival ships (one in Australia - 21 people disembarked I think) sort of reinforced my stance. Seems Carnival just attracts this type of person. Thankfully lots of other choices!

I think if you take longer cruises on CCL is't better short once are disaster.

LOL I know .People get FREE upgrade from inside free status match (hate MSC for this) and still complaining....

MSC STOP DOING STATUS MATCH .

GB ... the poster got a FREE cruise in a Bella Inside, then got a FREE upgrade to a balcony cabin PLUS gets all the Black Card benefits FREE - and is still not happy!

Other than continental breakfast, Royal Caribbean charges for room service delivery ($7.95). You can get as much food as you want - the fee is for the delivery. What rcl did do was improve the room service menu when they implemented the fee so soften the blow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never understood why some people want to eat their breakfast in a tiny cabin? Unless you're in Grand suite which has dining room table, I rather go to buffet or dinning room on sea days and eat there.

I totally agree.... I find the food (especially bagels and other bread items) awful....and there really isn't a table to eat off of. My wife occasionally orders coffee and may ask for a muffin while we waited for my kids to rise and shine...but that has been the extent of it with us.