Travel agent or not?

I usually book my cruises while I am onboard and have them listed under my travel agent. Everything has worked out well until this last booking. I checked the booking online a few days after arriving home and noticed my dining time had changed and I was now waitlisted. I checked my confirmation I received onboard and it was for the correct time. When I called RCCL they stated they would be happy to change it with authorization from my agent. My agent called and was told they were not able to change it at this time. RCCL does not want me to fax my confirmation receipt to them for verification for some reason.

The agent claims RCCL will not work with them on this and they will definitely not talk to me about it either.

Anyone else experience this and know of a resoltion. I do not plan on late dining with a young child.

I usually book my cruises while I am onboard and have them listed under my travel agent. Everything has worked out well until this last booking. I checked the booking online a few days after arriving home and noticed my dining time had changed and I was now waitlisted. I checked my confirmation I received onboard and it was for the correct time. When I called RCCL they stated they would be happy to change it with authorization from my agent. My agent called and was told they were not able to change it at this time. RCCL does not want me to fax my confirmation receipt to them for verification for some reason.

The agent claims RCCL will not work with them on this and they will definitely not talk to me about it either.

Anyone else experience this and know of a resoltion. I do not plan on late dining with a young child.

Am also really curious as to whether or not people prefer to use a travel agent or not and why?

We don't use one because I would rather bicker with Royal Caribbean myself about what they will or will not do.

You have confirmation of early dining. Your travel agent says you don't or claims that the cruise line says you don't. I hate to be in that sort of situation, and I prefer to have it corrected or find out the reason why directly. JMO. :)

I have been blessed and have a fantastic TA, now! Yes there was a time not too long ago that I had a TA from hell. I had been with the same agency for about 8 years, with at least 3 cruises a year, multi flights and even hotel, auto rental, the whole deal, and was actually very pleased. Then, my agent moved and I was assigned a new one (she had been there 12 yrs), all seemed well. Two weeks out from my sailing that was booked before my agent moved away, I was told my cabin was changed. Wait...I paid for and had my cabin (aft bal) all set in stone!!! No amount of fighting could get a change. TA told me it just happened. Cruise line told me they were sorry and I would have to deal with my TA. Well, I went on the cruise and on the 4th day I got a bit brave. I walked to the cabin that should have been MY aft bal and knocked on the door. It seems a local dentist and his wife were in the cabin!!!! When they opened the door, I played a bit of a fool and said I was sorry to bother them but just had heard they were on ship and wanted to get together socially with them, offered to meet them later by the piano. We talked and I found out that they just happened to grab that wonderful aft bal just 2 weeks ago from my TA. I didn't want to ruin/spoil whatever their time by telling them the truth but I sure did have my say once I returned home. I never even got an apology from the agency! I learned of a great TA from a fellow cruiser and have been working with her and am so pleased. It is good to know there is someone in your corner when the flight is delayed, the hotel is not up to standard or the cruise you longed for had some issues. She has been wonderful and if you can find one like her, then by all means use a TA. BUT if you get stuck with what I had dumped into my lap, RUN fast back to the cruiseline and book direct!!!

I worked with a TA for our cruise last December, and have no complaints at all. She was very helpful and patient concerning my million and one questions. This time I did the research myself, and booked directly with RCI.

I was chatting with my SIL about this very thing. If you're like her, you're happy to let the TA work out the details and just send you the confirmation. If you're a control freak like me who loves doing all the research, you're going to book directly.

sandy toes, I'm just speechless. I would have been furious. Your TA did you wrong no question. What a nightmare!

What about booking a group cruise? Would using a travel agent be necessary then? We are probably going to do a cruise where we won't know how many people will be going till later on in the process. Would there be any problem with one person being the lead who deals with RCCL or does that need to be an agent?

I have never seen the need for a travel agent and I have been traveling for many years.

Likewise. I want to be able to work directly with the cruiseline, airline etc so we dont use TA's or third party airline booking sites. Not worth it to us to involve a third party just to get an OBC or something. We had fine experiences with a TA back in the 90's but just don't see the benefit anymore.

What about booking a group cruise? Would using a travel agent be necessary then? We are probably going to do a cruise where we won't know how many people will be going till later on in the process. Would there be any problem with one person being the lead who deals with RCCL or does that need to be an agent?

After problems with a travel agent during our first two cruises, we do our own arrangements with RCL. It's so much easier being in control of our own reservation!

They offer us something that we cannot do or achieve ourselves, like extra OBC, specialty inexpensive tours, or especially AIR. No matter what, TA or DIYS booking, you have to micro manage every detail of your travel, I trust NO ONE(even myself) on every thing, they and we all make mistakes on occasion.

I did learn a lesson on when and how to book, on our booking for the Singapore to Dubai, this coming spring. I transferred the cruise LATE(procrastinator) to my favorite TA to take advantage of Air and a side trip to Hong Kong, waiting to do this was for a lot of reasons, but if I had booked or did the whole trip as they had planned earlier, I would have saved about $1600 for the exact same cabin/travel adventure. The problem booking early, with this travel agency, it is their policy that the deposit is not refundable, but their prices are terrific.

Sandy Toes, I have never heard of a TA story like that, WOW, I would have, I do not know how I would have handled that, but I bet it would not be pretty.

I book online and transfer to a TA also for the onboard credit. I would bring the confirmation page with you when you check in and go directly to the dining room when you get on the ship. Go early if you can. They have always changed our table for us with no issues. I bet they would change your time too. Just get on as early as you can.

We always book while on board (and also we get a FCC). Once we get everything the way we want it, we transfer it to our TA, who then adds either OBC or Pre Paid Gratuities. She's been good so far. I've always gotten the dining I want. Sometimes she sends little coupon books.

I can't imagine NOT using her since I'm basically getting all the extras for nothing.

:cool:First two cruises I used a TA. After then I started doing it my self after I had some idea how it worked. I prefer to go to RCCL web, get all info available regarding cruise, cabin selection, prices etc. Then I call RCCL, give them my list of requested cabin in order of preference, and book. Later, I order wine packages, gifts n gear, flowers, speciality restaurants, and excursions as I need them. I prefer controlling the trip. Why bother with a TA if you can do it yourself. No headaches that way.:cool:JACK IS SAILING AGAIN

I think it's better to book through an agent, especially when booking a group cruise. My agent took care of the arrangements when I went on a group cruise and it was so easy to not to have to worry about getting everything set for the group. Not to mention the additional amenities I got by booking it through the agent.

For groups I would definately use an agent, there are alot of details to work out and alot of headaches sometimes to deal with especially with several cabins and different people. The agent can keep everything straight for you and be sure payments are made on time and accurately.

I use a TA and I used to be like many of the others here who "have to do it myself". I changed my tune because while I could do it myself, why not have someone else do it for me? Provided your TA is good (which mine is), using a TA saves me so much time calling RCL for silly things.

Even if it takes 10 minutes, that's 10 less minutes I have to spend on the phone. Nevermind the 3-4 price changes I've had my TA done since I booked my cruise. Considering I don't pay her, it's a great deal.

To use or not to use a TA is like asking someone which of their children do you love most. I have seen some horrendous arguments regarding this over the years. Great arguments for and great arguments against.

I personally used a TA for 20 years. She was magnificent and actually got me a $500 refund for a cruise gone bad a few years ago when I went up against the cruise line. She jumped into the fray and damned if she didn't get us cash back - not a future cruise credit.

But alas, she has retired and we now book directly. We have had no issues with direct booking and continue to do so.

I think the best way is to do what feels good for YOU. Not what Aunt Martha or your neighbor down the street did. Like I said, there are pros and cons to each, but at the end... YOU ARE STILL ON A CRUISE!!!

I do not use a TA anymore because I like having direct control over my reservation. I want to be able to negotiate changes and issues with RCI myself, because I am my own best advocate and no TA has ever done anything for me that I couldn't do better and more efficiently for myself. I do not need (or like having) a middleman working on my behalf, and the two occasions where I ran into problems, the TA was not able to come to a satisfactory resolution, and I ended up having to fix it myself anyway.

I know that TA's offer OBC and other incentives, but I am not interested if it means turning the reservation over to someone else to manage.

I booked directly in the past until I learned I can receive a massive OBC (onboard credit) when working with a LARGE travel agency...

I just booked a cruise on the Oasis next year... $270 onboard credit -- and that is before any price drops.. that's just $270 for booking.. the trip costed $2,072 total.. (for 2 in a superior ocean view balcony)

For groups I would definately use an agent, there are alot of details to work out and alot of headaches sometimes to deal with especially with several cabins and different people. The agent can keep everything straight for you and be sure payments are made on time and accurately.

I agree. For a group use a TA that has a good group dept or is experienced in group bookings. They do all the work for you and send out the reminders, make sure the payments are made etc. All you have to do it round up the people to book to your group. There are also CAP points that may apply to your sailing for group amenities like and OBC, etc. A good group TA will take care of you. If you deal directly with the group dept at RCI you have to remind folks to pay etc.

Archived