I'm scared to ask but.....

saffy22

Ok,

I do know the drinking age in the US is 21. Here in Au it's 18. So wondering if any Aussies have any experience with how strict they are on the ship. My son is 21 a few days after we disembark, we are heading to Vegas from Hawaii to celebrate there.

I do notice the NCL ships in Europe allow 18 plus to drink, the pub crawl would be right up his alley- he will have to sit in the cabin while his brother goes. We definitley are not " Ugly Australians" who get smashed a lot!! We do like a wine (or beer) with dinner though.

Cheers (or not)

Saffy

Not an Aussie, but until he turns 21, he'll have to settle for nothing stronger than root beer (it's non-alcoholic fizzy soda). The Pride of America only sails between US ports, so US law is strictly adhered to. If he celebrates his 21st birthday on the ship, then he'll be able to have alcoholic beverages.

And, if I'm not mistaken, they have more than one pub crawl during the week.

980221444_Alohapalm2.jpg.92a5f0d49d33439640193b5666f78179.jpg

It looks like you're out of luck for the Hawaii cruise. According to NCL's website:

ALCOHOL CONSUMPTION POLICY

Passengers must be 21 years of age or older to purchase or consume alcohol.

With the exception of Alaska and Hawaii itineraries, Norwegian permits young adults to purchase and personally consume wine and beer only while onboard and with the consent of an accompanying parent. Authorization will be given only when the accompanying parent completes the Young Adult Alcoholic Beverage Waiver form. This form can be obtained and completed at the Guest Services Desk upon embarkation of the vessel. However, passengers 18 years of age or older are permitted to consume alcoholic beverages when sailing on round-trip European voyages without having to complete the Young Adult Alcoholic Beverage Waiver form.

Looks like it doesn't matter for Alaska or Hawaii. Sorry no pub crawl for him

Ok, if he is a responsible drinker, and only drink quietly in the cabin, can't see NCL security busting the doors to handcuff and blindfold him, then have him walk the plank at swordpoint:D

We definitley are not " Ugly Australians" who get smashed a lot!!

Just curious, what do ugly Australians look like? :p

I agree with Middleager that what you and your son enjoy on your balcony will most probably not be a problem unless he goes "streaking" around the ship. We have three young adult children, the youngest being 20. We have found that often at restaurants in Hawaii when a younger than 21 year old is with us and orders a beer with everyone else they may or may not be asked for I.D. When purchasing alcohol in the stores they ask everyone for I.D., even me, and I can tell you I do not look younger than my children.

I would also like to say that I have never met an Australian that I did not like. I don't know if it's the air you breath or the water you drink but an adventurous, optimistic approach to life seems to accompany Australians whenever I meet them. Have a good trip, Cherie

Archived