Review of Nieuw Amsterdam, Mediterranean Glamor

We_like_to_cruise

Today we have no definite plans.

Originally scheduled to visit Tunis, Tunisia, we are docked in Cagliari, the capital of Sardinia. Sardinia is the second largest island (after Sicily) in the Mediterranean, and is part of Italy.

After breakfast in the Lido, we take a shuttle bus from the ship to the port entrance. There we spot a visitor information booth. A very helpful woman gives us a map and outlines a two hour walking tour of the city. Perfect.

Sardinia is very hilly and following her directions we find the convenient elevator by Chiesa di Santa Chiari which takes us up to a large terrazza where we enjoy the view of the harbor with the NA in the distance:

b_110356.jpg

We stop in at the Cathedral of Santa Maria:

b_110402.jpg

b_110359.jpg

and also enter the Palazzo Reggio.

When we enter the Palace, we are surprised to see no guards, no velvet ropes, no signs. So, we wander around and take some photos. The dining room had a table for twelve; you could have eaten your lunch here!

Seeing another information booth in front of us, we inquire about a public restroom. The young woman advises us it is up the hill and just outside the Archeology Museum.

OK, we admit we were more than a little surprised about what greeted us when we opened the “restroom” doors. :eek: Good thing we had our own supply of tissues and hand sanitizer!

b_110405.jpg

Finally we make it to the Roman Amphitheater of Cagliari – and it is surrounded by metal fences. Apparently there is ongoing construction (well, it was built in the 2nd Century AD) and we peer through the openings for a glimpse. Gee, we didn’t know the ancient Romans were so skilled in manufacturing metal stairs and railings:

b_110410.jpg

Fortunately, the trip back to port was all downhill:

b_110413.jpg

Walking back through the urban port area we stop and look in some of the many shops. We find some nice leather goods and jewelry, but nothing strikes our interest. Except gelato. :D

b_110422.jpg

***this is an aside. I took this picture of a sign on a street in Cagliari, but could not get anyone to explain its meaning to me. (Beware of macaroni?) Any takers?***

b_110419.jpg

This is a short port day, so after lunch the pool gets crowded and we head to Trivia in the Crow’s Nest.

Our team-mates greet us with a bottle of champagne. Apparently the winners from yesterday presented it to our team after we had left, as they did not drink. We toast and concentrate on the game.

Despite some differences of opinion, we all agree on our final answers and … We Are The Winners! Not only that, but we do not make one mistake, and get every question correct !!! Ah, victory! Each team member gets to pick a prize and our team gets another bottle of champagne.

We head back to the room to prepare for the Renewal of Vows ceremony.

I had read about this package on the HAL boards and knew it was right for us. After all, our only other HAL cruise was our honeymoon, and we would be visiting Roma, the city of amore. Yes, I am a romantic :p

DW looks as beautiful as the day we married (;)) in a pretty gown, and ok, I look pretty good myself in my tux.

(I asked DW if she minded if I posted personal pix of us, but she was reluctant.

"You wish to be anonymous?"

"I wish to be left alone!")

The Silk Den lounge is closed for a Private Party – hey that’s us!

b_120421.jpg

We are greeted by Beth, the party planner, who pins a corsage on each of us as we are offered champagne and passed hors d'Oeuvres by one of the waiters:

b_120427.jpg

Now, when the ROV ceremony is booked, you share that time with whatever other couples sign up.

Beth informs us we are the only ones signed up. She explains that the Captain will come by shortly, perform the ceremony and pose for pictures taken by the ships’ photographer. She also offers to take pictures with our own camera.

Captain Vincent Smit arrives, and to our surprise, sits down at the table with the three of us. We four chat, and then chat some more. He visits with us for almost 30 minutes as we talk about our travels and our families. What a gentleman! We indulge in more champagne and appetizers as he drinks bottled water. (Thank goodness … wouldn’t want any BWI problems.)

He performs the ROV ceremony and DW is teary-eyed. (I may have been a little misty myself, but um, it could have been an eyelash or something in my eye.)

We repeat after Captain Smit:

"I stand, once again before you, to renew our vows of marriage.

I promise to be strong in my love,

Gentle in my care, and unwavering in my trust.

In the name of all we have created together,

And all we are yet to become,

I offer you my hand

As your partner, lifetime friend and companion."

He continued:

"With these words, I as the master of this vessel, wish you all the

joy and peace which only love can bring, and may it be yours today

and in all of life's tomorrows.

Congratulations. You may kiss your bride now."

(Darn, I think I got that silly eyelash in my eye again...)

We expect Captain Smit to make a hasty get-away, but he sits down again with us for another 10 minutes or so. Wow, so unexpected and nice. (Even Beth is impressed with how long he stays.)

We are offered a full sized large cake - not some mini thing - to cut and enjoy. We demur as we have not even had dinner yet. Beth arranges for the cake to be available for our table after dinner this evening. (And, we actually feed our table of eight, as well as two other tables with slices of our “wedding cake” that night.)

b_120424.jpg

The ROV was truly one of the highlights of our cruise and we would certainly recommend it.

Now, come closer so we can whisper something in your ear. We wouldn’t want the bean counters at HAL to hear this and up the price. Seriously, this has to be one of the best bargains on HAL. In addition to everything mentioned above (as well as flowers and canapés in our stateroom on embarkation day and two dinners at the Pinnacle Grill), a few days later we receive a large photo album with an 8x 10 from the ceremony, copies of our vows and plenty of room to insert our own photos and cruise souvenirs.

WONDERFUL!

The best $120 we have spent on a cruise.

And of course the memories are priceless. :)

Congratulations on your renewal of vows. I teared up too!

According to Google's translate "Caduta Maccharoni" means "Macaroni Fall" so I'd guess while in Sardinia one needs to be aware of falling macaroni... :eek:

WOW! All I can say is WOW!!!

We did a renewal of vows many years ago on NCL and no way did it compare to this - there must have been 100 people in the room. Didn't feel special at all.

Love the vows they did - Love the whole thing.

and of course - love your review and pics.

I had an eyelash in my eye reading it too.

Beautiful - I just might consider doing it myself after reading this:D

I am so glad it turned out so well for you - and again thanks for sharing:) Can't you talk your DW into the picture - I think you should show us what a wonderful couple you were;)

<snip>

We did a renewal of vows many years ago on NCL and no way did it compare to this - there must have been 100 people in the room. Didn't feel special at all.<snip>

Beautiful - I just might consider doing it myself after reading this:D

We didn't really know what to expect, but honestly really did not expect this!

Yes, you should do it. It was awesome.:D

<snip>

According to Google's translate "Caduta Maccharoni" means "Macaroni Fall" so I'd guess while in Sardinia one needs to be aware of falling macaroni... :eek:

You know, I read that too, but it didn't seem to make too much sense. :confused:

Although, I did not look up when I saw the sign. :D

Wonderful, wonderful. I really appreciate your review, blog whatever. It is timely for us, since we are off to Barcelona tomorrow for a few days in the city and then off on the Ryndam on Oct 26th.

Hope that you continue cruising with HAL so I can read more of your experiences. However, I love Princess as well so I will look for you there as well.

:):):) Really more than a 3 smile review. THANK YOU!

I seem to find no way to correct or add to a previous post, so am resorting to this additional post.

Unfortunately, due to an editing error, in the transference of words and pictures from computer to website I left out a paragraph. (I cut, but did not paste. :()

So, I would be remiss if not acknowledging the work that Beth the party planner did in making sure our ROV was the success that it was.

In fact, she proposed the toast after the ceremony:

“Here’s to good ships,

Here’s to wood ships,

And to ships that sail the sea.

But the best ships

Are relationships,

And may they always be.”

<snip> I confess we rarely do breakfast in the Lido:o but have always found berries at the regular breakfast (MDR or PG):)

<snip>

We never made it to the MDR for breakfast - too busy running around :) with not enough time for a full sit down meal.

Thanks for the tip for next time. It might be worth the trip!

Thank you for taking the time to share with us. We did the Med last year on the Carnival Magic and it was truly memorable (much due to the great private shore excursions we booked). This year, truly just needing/wanting R&R, we are doing the Eastern Carib on the NA. Having recently read some questionable reviews, was feeling some trepidations. Thank you for restoring my faith in HAL. BTW don't see any renewal of vows options on the HAL website for our sailing

<snip> we are doing the Eastern Carib on the NA. Having recently read some questionable reviews, was feeling some trepidations. Thank you for restoring my faith in HAL. BTW don't see any renewal of vows options on the HAL website for our sailing

I am sure you will love the NA. She is a beautiful ship with a wonderful crew. As you can probably tell from our review so far we would sail on this ship again anytime!!!:D

As far as the ROV ceremony, see the next post. (Couldn't get the multi-post thingy to work.):confused:

Did you book the vow renewal in advance? Through HAL directly or with a TA (if you used one)? There doesn't seem to be any info on the website.<snip>

I originally heard about the ROV ceremony on this very HAL board, which is where I got the phone number below. It piqued my interest. Like you, I really didn't find anything about it on the Holland America website, or as an option to purchase after we had a booking number :confused::confused::confused:

But, if you call the Ship Services Department at 800-541-1576 they can give you all of the details.

I just called them and the cost for the couple is $120.40. If you want any guests to attend, each guest is another $13.42. Children aged 2-12 are $6.71.

I was told that it is a little different for cruises to the Caribbean. The ceremony is done in a "bohemian" (her words) church on the private island Half Moon Cay. She said the cost per couple is "around $80" but gave me no other details. I am not sure of the guest costs for this one. She did mention that the "perks" are different for the Caribbean sailings.

The ROV ceremony must be booked in advance, at least four days before your cruise. They take your credit card number over the phone to reserve it.

She advised me that they usually have three or four or more couples in each ceremony, often attended by family members. I guess it was unusual for us to be the only couple, and with the kids in college we had no guests.

Please feel free to ask if you have any other questions.

Oh, one other thing. You will receive an invitation in your stateroom telling you exactly when the ceremony is. (We also received a telephone call.) That is decided by the Captain. We had hoped ours would be on one of the formal nights, but it was not to be.:( So, we dressed fancy for three nights instead of just two. They told us it is generally between the first and second seating times in MDR, which was correct in our case.

Enjoy!:)

I originally heard about the ROV ceremony on this very HAL board, which is where I got the phone number below. It piqued my interest. Like you, I really didn't find anything about it on the Holland America website, or as an option to purchase after we had a booking number :confused::confused::confused:

But, if you call the Ship Services Department at 800-541-1576 they can give you all of the details.

I just called them and the cost for the couple is $120.40. If you want any guests to attend, each guest is another $13.42. Children aged 2-12 are $6.71.

I was told that it is a little different for cruises to the Caribbean. The ceremony is done in a "bohemian" (her words) church on the private island Half Moon Cay. She said the cost per couple is "around $80" but gave me no other details. I am not sure of the guest costs for this one. She did mention that the "perks" are different for the Caribbean sailings.

The ROV ceremony must be booked in advance, at least four days before your cruise. They take your credit card number over the phone to reserve it.

She advised me that they usually have three or four or more couples in each ceremony, often attended by family members. I guess it was unusual for us to be the only couple, and with the kids in college we had no guests.

Please feel free to ask if you have any other questions.

Oh, one other thing. You will receive an invitation in your stateroom telling you exactly when the ceremony is. (We also received a telephone call.) That is decided by the Captain. We had hoped ours would be on one of the formal nights, but it was not to be.:( So, we dressed fancy for three nights instead of just two. They told us it is generally between the first and second seating times in MDR, which was correct in our case.

Enjoy!:)

Not sure that a Bahamian church would be the right venue for us, but appreciate all the info

Not sure that a Bahamian church would be the right venue for us, but appreciate all the info

The combination of a bad cell phone connection and me trying to write everything down while she was talking probably made me misinterpret "Bahamian" as "bohemian!"

I am sure that you are correct, as Half Moon Cay is in the Bahamas.

Sorry for any confusion.:)

Short port day (All Aboard at 2:30 p.m.), visiting Palermo, Sicily. We walk right off the ship and into the city after breakfast.

DW is somewhat out of sorts today, cause unknown (too much champagne last night for an infrequent drinker ?)

When I suggested we might later try a traditional Sicilian delicacy, Pane con la Milza, DW seems interested. When I explained it was a fried beef spleen sandwich, she turned green. :eek:

b_080318.jpg

Palermo is very urban with an unusual mix of modern buildings right next to deserted broken down ones.

b_080312.jpg

b_080303.jpg

We wander and make our way to the piazza surrounding the Teatro Politeama Garibaldi:

b_080315.jpg

and walk further onward to the Teatro Massimo:

b_080306.jpg

The latter is the largest opera house in Italy and third largest in the world. Unfortunately, we just missed the last tour and the next one starts too late for us to consider.

We are conflicted by the contrast of a city where we must side-step garbage and dog poop on the sidewalks to reach these two beautiful opera houses minutes away from each other.

Despite spending a few hours wandering about, and doing some shopping, Palermo doesn’t do it for us.

If we visit this port in the future, we will make plans to visit the Cathedral at Monreale.

Back on the ship we lounge by the pool area for the rest of the afternoon.

Our goal was to have an early dinner to make the early show. But, we had so much fun conversing with our new tablemates that we totally missed the show.

Tonight is the earliest we hit the sack – need to be up early tomorrow for Rome! We place a wake up call for 6 a.m., Yikes, aren’t we on vacation???