Southern Caribbean ports with kids

danilynn17

My family is going on RCL Adventure of the Seas in March - me, my husband, our two children (will be 3 and 11 months) and my parents. Ports are St. Croix, St. Maarten, St. Johns, St. Lucia and Barbados. The game plan is that in one of the ports my husband and I will do our own thing and my parents will stay with the kids either on the ship or in the dock area. The rest of the days we'll either do easy excursions (tours, etc.) or stay on or near the pier.

Are some or any of these ports dead outside the dock area? Or are some of them located in a livelier area with things to see and do nearby? We're trying to figure out what to do wear. With five ports it is a bit overwhelming, and trying to figure out things to do with young kids adds another layer of craziness.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Best advice is to get a guidebook....libraries have them, and read them! Decide what there is in each place that interests you! And, you'll be able to determine if you'll need to pay for an excursion, or if it's a DIY sort of thing. Beaches seem to be quite popular with very small kids....and they are easy things to do on your own.

Research is key to getting the most from your short time ashore.

After you have an idea of what you want to do in each place, go to the "Port of Call" boards and see how others have done what you want to do.

• 2 weeks later...

St Croix has some shops in the port area and if I remember correctly there is even a park you could walk to...there was also a big market area set up with vendors, nothing pushy at all. When we were there last year we rented a jeep for the day. Explored the island and had a great time. St Lucia has "inside the port" shops and you can also walk about 10 mins to town, we did a morning excursion here and then my husband and I walked around in the afternoon while my son (9) did Adventure Ocean. St John-Antigua had again the usual shops, but here we just snagged a cab and went to the beach for a few hours, nice calm drive and beautiful beaches! We are doing the same itinerary you are (March 24)

Just read the boards for each island and you will get some ideas.

We got off the ship and walked around in Barbados. Went to the Malibu Rum place (rip off) then Mount Gay rum factory (bought here). There was a public beach right there, but it was too hot so we decided to go back to the ship. Our daughter was 14 months at the time.

I would visit the ports of call boards on Cruise Critic.

A lot of good information.

St. Lucia is pretty intense near the port. I would either do a tour or stay on the ship.

Barbados has a nice beach right near the ship. You can also walk to the downtown area from the port (about 30 minutes) and do touring and enjoy the downtown area. That would be a nice one for your husband and you to do.

Keith

Ive briefly researched southern ports. We aren't sure when we'll book a cruise there, so I haven't spent too much time. I think quite a few ports have butterfly farms. We've taken DD to a small butterfly garden and she had fun chasing after them. I would look for Aviaries too. I would imagine the caribbean would have an abundance of birds to see.

I know when we do the souther caribbean, I don't need every day to be another beach day!

When we did a 5 port cruise with two kids (my nieces, not mine), the kids stayed on the ship one day.

Be sure to allow down time for them (and naps!)

We stayed on the ship in st. lucia. the older one went to camp, the younger one stayed with me. I needed a break from all of the people. We hung out, played dolls and read books. It was perfect!

• 1 month later...

DH and I will be travelling with our 2 year old. We're trying to do cruise ship sponsored excursions 3 of the days and possibly just expore the area near the port on the non-excursion days. Which ports are easy to do with a 2 year old? We want to stay close to the ship. Thanks in advance.

We just got back from a cruise that stopped in St Maarten and I highly recommend taking a taxi to Le Galion beach. It was perfect for small children. My kids are 9, 6, and 2 1/2 years old and had the best time there. There were no waves and it was a family friendly beach. You should definitely go there when you go to st maarten.

PS--we did bring a carseat for the youngest one. The taxi had seatbelts to strap it in if that matters to you.

We've been to Barbados and St. Lucia with three children and loved them both. We did the mud bath and volcano in St. Lucia and they were wonderful with our youngest who was close to 2. We've been to Barbados twice, and our kids really enjoyed Harrison Cave. At the time our youngest was almost 1, so I doubt she understood anything, but she was fine with the entire tour. Barbados is the easiest of the two with children in my opinion, but we sooo loved St. Lucia. Our girls spent over an hour at the banana farm, running around like crazy. Made for some great pictures.(Our monkeys playing in the bananas!!!) Have a great time.

We've been to Barbados and St. Lucia with three children and loved them both. We did the mud bath and volcano in St. Lucia and they were wonderful with our youngest who was close to 2. We've been to Barbados twice, and our kids really enjoyed Harrison Cave. At the time our youngest was almost 1, so I doubt she understood anything, but she was fine with the entire tour. Barbados is the easiest of the two with children in my opinion, but we sooo loved St. Lucia. Our girls spent over an hour at the banana farm, running around like crazy. Made for some great pictures.(Our monkeys playing in the bananas!!!) Have a great time.

Were both of these cruise ship excursions? And how did you keep your LO entertained on the way there, as well as on the plane trip to your departure port? Thanks for your help!

We always book our excursions with independent drivers. We like the idea of having our own tour guide, and if you are traveling with a carseat it is so much easier than standing in line waiting for everyone to get on and hoping you have space for the seat. We also love the price, as they are usually half the cost of cruiselines. Our daughter was easy to entertain and loved looking out the window of the van. (We flew to San Juan in December, 5 hour flight and she did fantastic. Love crayola wonders!!!) Remember, if you hire a private driver and your little one acts up, they can always stop and give them a little time out of the vehicle, unlike if you are traveling with a larger group.

We always book our excursions with independent drivers. We like the idea of having our own tour guide, and if you are traveling with a carseat it is so much easier than standing in line waiting for everyone to get on and hoping you have space for the seat. We also love the price, as they are usually half the cost of cruiselines. Our daughter was easy to entertain and loved looking out the window of the van. (We flew to San Juan in December, 5 hour flight and she did fantastic. Love crayola wonders!!!) Remember, if you hire a private driver and your little one acts up, they can always stop and give them a little time out of the vehicle, unlike if you are traveling with a larger group.

Can you recommend someone for any of these ports: St Maarten, St Kitts, Barbados, St Lucia, or St Thomas? I wasn't sure of the safety factor going on a non-cruise ship excursion.

Archived