First River Cruise

SoCalIrish

My wife and I are thinking of taking a European river cruise on either the Rhine or Danube in the fall of 2013. Here are my thoughts, and I appreciate any recommendations, comments, etc.. We are in our late fifties, physically fit, and enjoy mixed company. I thought the fall would afford the best weather conditions while avoiding high water issues that may happen in the spring. I've been looking at the various river boat companies and they all sound very similar. However, I was not impressed with Uniworld's boutique boats. For my taste, their decor is much too ornate and prissy, not my style. One option I would like to have available are bicycles. What class of room would you choose (excluding suites) and what area of the boat suites you best? Are French balconies worth the additional cost? Some rooms near common areas, kitchen, boat engine may ruin the entire experience.

When you think about river boats, you envision slowly cruising down the river, watching the scenery float by and taking a lot of pictures. However, it seems that most cruising is done at night, and days are spent in port. It's all reasonable, but are there stretches where you can actually do the former? My guess is that the longer the cruise, the more geography you cover and have the opportunity to do this.

What highlights did you enjoy on the Danube? How would you describe this route? How about the Rhine? We will definitely spend pre-cruise time and post-cruise time in the cities of/near embarkation/departkation.

Thanks in advance for reading and passing along your thoughts.

Patrick

Cabin availability is already becoming very "slim pickings" for Fall 2013. For departures mid to late Sept I was unable to get cabins requested...... Yes it is a year away but do not delay.... I was looking at both AMA and Avalon. I was trying to get just reg cabins on top two decks... Not fancy cabins!

I have done two river cruises. The first 7 nights from Nuremberg to Trier which covered the Main, part of the Rhine & Moselle Rivers. Pre cruise in Prague and post in Paris. This was with AMA Waterways in a French Balcony cabin midship on the middle deck. No issues at all with the cabin or noise going through the locks at night. Fabulous first cruise, food excellent, staff wonderful, good tours. There was a lot of daytime cruising particularly through the very picturesque area of the Rhine and the Main.

Second cruise was this year, 14 nights from Amsterdam to Budapest on Scenic Tours in an acquarium class cabin, i.e. with a large window at shoulder height. Again mid ship but on the lowest deck. Covered part of the Rhine, the Main, the Main Danube Canal and the Danube. No complaints except for the scraping, banging and rocking going through the locks at night. Plenty of daytime scenery to see and take pictures of. Enjoyed the tours more on this cruise and everything including tips was included in the cost. Food was not quite as good as AMA but still very good. The tours offered on Scenic Tours were outstanding including the fantastic night in Vienna.

If you plan to only river cruise once, do the 14 nighter from Amsterdam to Budapest or Bucharest, that way you cover the best of all the rivers. If you are not sure you will like river cruising, i.e. not much to do at night except drink and listen to the piano player, then go for the 7 nighter. While I am the type of person who tends not to spend money on a balcony or french balcony, most of my time was spent in the wonderful indoor and outdoor lounges where you get panoramic views of the countryside.

We did both trips in Sept/Oct to avoid the hotter weather and supposedly smaller crowds. Many days it was too chilly to sit outside since there is quite a breeze when the ship is moving. That means it might be too chilly to sit outside on a balcony or cruise with the door open. Everywhere seemed to be crowded but manageable.

That's my own opinion, you will I am sure get differing opinions from others. You will enjoy whatever you pick!

We have done 3 river cruises with Vantage and enjoyed them. The longest one was from Budapest to Amsterdam. We also took a river cruise through Provence and Burgundy.

Both trip stories and pictures are on our website.

We are happy to answer any questions

I agree with your comments about the decor on Uniworld's boats.

I suggest a 7 night cruise for your first time with time in Europe before and/or after.

Our best cruise to date has been on AMA Waterways. We very much enjoyed the boat itself (decor, ambiance, cabin comfort and amenities), the food (quality, variety, taste, serving style, dining room layout and cheese board:D) , the staff (warm and friendly) and the overall vibe which was the youngest of the 5 river cruises we have been on so far.

They offered hosted biking tours in each port and the unreserved bikes were available for individual use.

We have had French balconies on our cruises so far and our preferred location is mid ship, mid deck.

The Rhine Gorge is a daytime sail and has gorgeous scenery and our recent Rhine and Moselle cruise was our favorite for scenery and overall experience (AmaDante) but least favorite in terms of itinerary.

We are taking Budapest to Prague with AMA in 4 weeks, spending 3 nights on our own pre and post. There are two days where we sail until after lunch on this itinerary, something that is not our preference. But we do have several overnights/evenings in port so it was a good compromise as we enjoy going out to or after dinner in the local area. And the morning sail gives us a chance for a relaxing massage and time in the hot tub so we will cope.;)

Hi - I am actually OK with the decor on the Uniworld boats. The pictures often make the boats look like a bordello re-mix , but they aren't as "in your face" as you think when you see them in person. However, if the decor is something that will affect your overall enjoyment, then there are lots of other options.

I love cruising in the fall - but, this is prime time, and therefore costs are higher. Crowds are often a little lighter than in the summer, but can still be quite heavy.

I can't speak to the value of a french balcony, as I don't know how much you are willing to spend for one. We booked mid-ship with a french balcony for one of our cruises, but felt it wasn't (at least for us) worth the extra money. We travel aquarium class to save money and travel more often. Works for us, but others don't want to travel without at least a french balcony. Some lines to have "real" balconies, so that is an option as well.

If you are sensitive to noise, then mid-ship - out of the "flight path" of the dining room might be best for you. Neither DH or I are light sleepers, so very seldom are disturbed by noises going in and out of locks. Can't speak to foot traffic to the dining room, as the dining room is usually above us, and foot traffic light.

Your itinerary will govern the amount of day-time sailing you do. We do enjoy sailing during the day, but many do not.

I agree with the suggestion about 7 nights to start if you aren't sure you would enjoy this experience.

Fran

I'm with caviargal -- AMA's terrific. I've done the Danube three times, the Rhine twice, probably think the Danube is the best when you consider scenery, mix of towns and cities, and, well scenery.

(When I tried AMA it was on the Rhone and there just wasn't time to cycle -- not its fault, mine as I could only be onboard for half the cruise). Also was very impressed by the innovative tours.

I will say that though I can see why Uniworld is prissy to some, it's magic to me. I will also say that I would book a cruise based on whether or not bikes are available (to my knowledge, Uniworld, AMA and Scenic) because, especially along the Danube, it's just a marvelous way to sight-see.

Scenic actually gets an extra nod on the bike front because it has electric models (you still pedal, but you tackle more ground). On service, though, Uniworld's first, AMA's second.

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

I agree with your comments about the decor on Uniworld's boats.

I suggest a 7 night cruise for your first time with time in Europe before and/or after.

Our best cruise to date has been on AMA Waterways. We very much enjoyed the boat itself (decor, ambiance, cabin comfort and amenities), the food (quality, variety, taste, serving style, dining room layout and cheese board:D) , the staff (warm and friendly) and the overall vibe which was the youngest of the 5 river cruises we have been on so far.

They offered hosted biking tours in each port and the unreserved bikes were available for individual use.

We have had French balconies on our cruises so far and our preferred location is mid ship, mid deck.

The Rhine Gorge is a daytime sail and has gorgeous scenery and our recent Rhine and Moselle cruise was our favorite for scenery and overall experience (AmaDante) but least favorite in terms of itinerary.

We are taking Budapest to Prague with AMA in 4 weeks, spending 3 nights on our own pre and post. There are two days where we sail until after lunch on this itinerary, something that is not our preference. But we do have several overnights/evenings in port so it was a good compromise as we enjoy going out to or after dinner in the local area. And the morning sail gives us a chance for a relaxing massage and time in the hot tub so we will cope.;)

We took AMA from Budapest to Nuremberg and on to Prague, and it was great. (We were also considering Avalon.) We loved Budapest and the places we stopped on the Danube. The tour guides made it interesting in terms of centuries of history. I had trouble keeping up with the active walking group because I was so busy taking photos.

We are getting ready for our 4th river cruise in 2 weeks -APT on AmaDante Budapest to Amsterdam 15 days. We have done Viking twice - Tulips and Windmills and then Passau to Budapest. We loved Vienna so much we did 10 days on our own the next summer.This April we were on AMADolce for Rhine and Moselle that was our best so far but now are going with APT which is all inclusive. We are especially looking forward to Budapest again -love a night-time cruise under all the bridges -and of course we get to visit Vienna again as well as all the German villages. We did have a lower deck cabin but I didn't like the high window -I kept jumping out of bed to look out! We're sailing with Viking again next April for the Elbe River. Our trips have been in either April or November and the weather did not bother us -but then we're from Scotland and we are used to cold and cloudy -it just makes the sunny days more special.

We are getting ready for our 4th river cruise in 2 weeks -APT on AmaDante Budapest to Amsterdam 15 days. We have done Viking twice - Tulips and Windmills and then Passau to Budapest. We loved Vienna so much we did 10 days on our own the next summer.This April we were on AMADolce for Rhine and Moselle that was our best so far but now are going with APT which is all inclusive. We are especially looking forward to Budapest again -love a night-time cruise under all the bridges -and of course we get to visit Vienna again as well as all the German villages. We did have a lower deck cabin but I didn't like the high window -I kept jumping out of bed to look out! We're sailing with Viking again next April for the Elbe River. Our trips have been in either April or November and the weather did not bother us -but then we're from Scotland and we are used to cold and cloudy -it just makes the sunny days more special.

Sorry for being dense, but what is APT? We're new to river cruising and trying to "get" all the lingo. :o

APT= Australia Pacific Touring. As I understand it it works in partnership with Ama Waterways and also does all manner of other type holidays. Besides being in Australia and New Zealand they have offices in London UK and in Vancouver. Our previous AMA cruise we used a London agency who in turn used Fred Olson as a representative. Service was OK, a minor glitch with our incoming transfer which I noticed in time to get corrected.

This time we went with APT in London which seems to have fully chartered the Ama Dante - it is not on Ama's website, but APT has made it fully all inclusive and has special treats in its excursions.

APT= Australia Pacific Touring. As I understand it it works in partnership with Ama Waterways and also does all manner of other type holidays. Besides being in Australia and New Zealand they have offices in London UK and in Vancouver. Our previous AMA cruise we used a London agency who in turn used Fred Olson as a representative. Service was OK, a minor glitch with our incoming transfer which I noticed in time to get corrected.

This time we went with APT in London which seems to have fully chartered the Ama Dante - it is not on Ama's website, but APT has made it fully all inclusive and has special treats in its excursions.

Thank you! It's always nice to learn something new. :)

Hope you enjoy you're river cruise. We are already planning our first one in 2014.

Hi Kirk,

Not sure if you remember me, but you sent me your Paris itinerary a while back, which has been helpful. We had planned to go on the British Isles cruise but changed our minds and decided to try a river cruise.

Where are you planning to do your first river cruise, and which line did you choose?

We are planning our trip for August 2013. AMA Waterways Blue Danube Discovery. We will do 2-3 days pre-cruise in Vienna, take the train to Budapest for 3 days, board the AmaLyra for 7 days, then 3 days post-cruise in Prague. I think it will be a good mix of pre-planned tours with AMA and lots of DIY for us.

The folks on this River Cruising board have been very helpful.

Bobbie

5326jan - I just was looking at an Avalon Waterways cruise on the Danube that goes from Vienna to Passau and then on to Munich. The river cruise itself is only 5 days with 1 pre cruise day in Vienna and 3 post cruise days in Munich.

I'm only bringing this up because if it is your first river cruise it gives you a good sampling of what river cruising is all about. Some find river cruising too relaxing with not enough excitement like on ocean cruises. You also have the extra days on land with various day trips which allows you lots of opportunity to explore on your own.

With whatever river cruise you do, make sure you have pre and post days added (cheaper if you do these on your own) so that you can really get a sense of the cities/countries you are in. Typically port visits on the cruise are not long enough to experience that.

Have fun planning!

We are also thinking of the fall 2013 Rhine River Cruise, with Grand Circle.Any feedback on Grand Circle, compared to AMA or Viking? I know Grand Circle has only twin beds in the cabins.

My husband and I are in our late 50's and like the convenience of the cruise, but don't like the forced group activities. We like the idea of exploring the various towns on our own. One concern, is what activities are there on the ship during the day and night. One person said- doing jigsaw puzzles got old! I know the scenery is supposed to be lovely, but not at night. Are there movies to watch? PS.how does the ship handle illnesses. Is there a Dr. on board?

My wife and I are thinking of taking a European river cruise on either the Rhine or Danube in the fall of 2013. Here are my thoughts, and I appreciate any recommendations, comments, etc.. We are in our late fifties, physically fit, and enjoy mixed company. I thought the fall would afford the best weather conditions while avoiding high water issues that may happen in the spring. I've been looking at the various river boat companies and they all sound very similar. However, I was not impressed with Uniworld's boutique boats. For my taste, their decor is much too ornate and prissy, not my style. One option I would like to have available are bicycles. What class of room would you choose (excluding suites) and what area of the boat suites you best? Are French balconies worth the additional cost? Some rooms near common areas, kitchen, boat engine may ruin the entire experience.

When you think about river boats, you envision slowly cruising down the river, watching the scenery float by and taking a lot of pictures. However, it seems that most cruising is done at night, and days are spent in port. It's all reasonable, but are there stretches where you can actually do the former? My guess is that the longer the cruise, the more geography you cover and have the opportunity to do this.

What highlights did you enjoy on the Danube? How would you describe this route? How about the Rhine? We will definitely spend pre-cruise time and post-cruise time in the cities of/near embarkation/departkation.

Thanks in advance for reading and passing along your thoughts.

Patrick

We have river cruised with Vantage and AMA and would recommend both.

We did not cruise on the Rhine or Danube, but lived in Bavaria for four years and visited most of the cities from Budapest North and West.

Cruising on those rivers sounds great, but also consider the Rhone river in Southern France. That is a great cruise.

We like warmer weather, so I suggest not cruising to close to Winter. Unless you like short days and dreary cold weather. October is not to bad in Central Europe.

• 1 month later...

As far as cabin location goes I don't think it makes much difference on a river cruise. Obviously your cabin selection will somewhat dictate where you are located. Suites tend to be on the upper deck center. The cheapest cabin will be the lowest levels, and without any outside access. But the boats are so small that location is basically a moot point. There is no boat movement to speak of and you are always close to everything. Most have only three decks anyway, due to the locks they have to travel under.

Archived