Pre & Post Tours: Downton Abbey

editor@cruisecritic

Next year, passengers who cruise on one of Viking Rivers' French river cruises can opt for a pre- or post-cruise tour to England's Oxford, with the highlight being a tour of Downton Abbey. Curious: Would that opportunity impact your choice of cruise line (on France's rivers)?

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

Interesting point (the tour includes London & Oxford too).

Yeah, know it's not really "Downton Abbey" but am a bit excited about the premiere of season 3 (going to London in a few weeks, hoping to catch a few episodes!). It's Highclere Castle.

Carolyn

Too easy to do on own--why pay the cruise line about 3-4 rines what it you could do on own? Off to China this afternoon. Pat

• 1 year later...

It was a deal-maker for us. In March 2013 Viking announced that the Oxford/Highclere post cruise was an option for the 2014 Viking Cities of Lights from Prague to Paris. We immediately booked for their July 5, 2014 sailing including pre-cruise in Prague and post-cruise in Oxford. We leave in twelve days. I can't wait to tour Highclere Castle.

It was a deal-maker for us. In March 2013 Viking announced that the Oxford/Highclere post cruise was an option for the 2014 Viking Cities of Lights from Prague to Paris. We immediately booked for their July 5, 2014 sailing including pre-cruise in Prague and post-cruise in Oxford. We leave in twelve days. I can't wait to tour Highclere Castle.

Please come back and give your review of Highclere Castle.

We are doing a post-cruise land trip to London and surrounding area in a few weeks. We'll have a car and can go there on our own. Just trying to decide if we should take the time to go there.

Hello Carolyn,

certainly an unusual port- or pre-cruise idea. From my perspective, I do not think I would see this as a combination with a cruise. But then I know my way around England and a seven-hour train ride takes me right into the heart of London. I would do the castle with a local company offering exactly the Highclere/Oxford/London trip as a day trip. You can search for this on the internet. Does Viking offer this as a high-speed train connection from Paris to London or is it a connecting bus trip?

Highclere castle has a very comprehensive website explaining all you need to know for a trip. Just for interests sake I would like to point out that Highclere as it stands today is not a medieval castle but a Georgian/Victorian mansion. Stunning nevertheless, from the photos I have seen.

Oh, and yes, Downtown Abbey is a big hit in Germany. I watched it as well. :) For me, a pity is always having to watch it dubbed. Mind you, the dubbing is excellent. Just takes some of that "Britishness" away. ;)

I am looking forward to your report, I am now contemplating the idea of having a trip there during my holidays. :D

notamermaid