Traveling with small children: which stateroom type would you choose?

Gizmoltom

I will be traveling with my husband and young children (4 and under) on an RCI cruise in the spring. Right now I have a family stateroom reserved. The benefit of this is everyone in one room, extra closets, and a bathtub. Of course, the disadvantage to this is also that we will all be in the same stateroom. Prices on the cruise have come down a bit since I booked, and it is now a similar price to book two adjoining staterooms. Which would you choose and why?

I have a question about adjoining staterooms. Is it possible to leave the door open all the time, except when privacy is desired? Would you feel OK with leaving the kids in one room and the adults in the other?

Thanks for any advice and first hand experience tips you can offer!

We have always been in a balcony cabin. Our boys were 5&3 on our first cruise, so if one needed an afternoon nap, the other went to the kids program or out and about on the ship with a parent. In the evenings, we sit out on the balcony while the kids are asleep, it is one of the best parts of our cruise!

I haven't booked adjoining cabins, mainly because I worry a out how we would do it with one cabin being a balcony...there aren't many options like this available and I would worry about safety. We spend so little time in the cabin that the small space is tolerable, and I'd rather spend my money on interesting things to do in port than more private space on board.

Thanks for the info. We were originally looking at Promenade staterooms which can only hold 2 people. Two adjoining rooms are still cheaper than one balcony, and we really enjoyed it on our last trip without kids. I've heard so many people say that they enjoy sitting on the balcony in the evening when the kids go to sleep that we decided to go for it. I have a feeling we will be joining the balcony only club after this cruise :)

Having one room can work. The issue is how well the kids sleep at night and whether or not you will disturb each other. Only you know the question.

If you do go with adjoining rooms the door can stay open as i would recommend and it would be fine to have them both in there. When you sign up for the rooms you likely will have to show one adult in each room but on the ship you can change all of that.

Keith

Of course you can leave the connecting doorway open! However, most connecting D and E cabins have no tubs....so a JS may be a better bet.

Having a balcony is a bonus...it gives you adults someplace "to be" when kids are down for the night or napping.

Connecting cabins will give you privacy....and space. If you don't have a cabin with a tub...start getting the kids used to a shower. Babies can use a small, blow-up tub...they make them! Helps immensely!

My husband and I have been on two (CCL) cruises with our children (ages 9 & 11), most recent cruise just this past week. We prefer the two adjoining rooms, it offers a lot more room, plus you then have two bathrooms. In the evenings we close the door, but stick a sneaker in it so that it doesn't close all the way. Also, our girls like having "their own room". :)

My husband and I have been on two (CCL) cruises with our children (ages 9 & 11), most recent cruise just this past week. We prefer the two adjoining rooms, it offers a lot more room, plus you then have two bathrooms. In the evenings we close the door, but stick a sneaker in it so that it doesn't close all the way. Also, our girls like having "their own room". :)

This is exactly what we have done on several cruises. Now are kids are 16 and almost 12, and for the first time we are going to do a balcony with an inside across the hall for our Christmas cruise. But we have loved our connecting staterooms. You have the benefit of the extra space and two bathrooms, but it's easy to peek at the kids and verify they're safe and happy.:)

On our first cruise with our daughter she was 7 months old and we had two OV balconly rooms. My mother came along with us. We were originally going to book the family room, but I switched to the two seprated rooms with a common door. I liked the idea of having two bathrooms, two tvs, and two separate spaces. It worked our great.

However, we are sailing next year and my daughter will be three. We opted to book two adjoining ocean view rooms because she is a climber and can already undo all child safety locks. She can even open car doors and sliding glass doors that are very heavy. She's like a cross between Houdini and the hulk. Lol. I'd love to have a balconly again, but it just scares me.

I have sailed with my 3 kids in family staterooms twice. They are our favourite staterooms! They are almost like a 2 bedroom suite. The layouts vary, but they all have a separate, curtained-off sleeping area for 2 kids.

On our first cruise, we had a FOV on Navigator. The sleeping area was 2 bunks in an area the size of a closet. The older kids, a boy and a girl, aged 8 and 11 loved it. With 2 bunks, they felt they had lots of privacy from each other. The second FOV was on Radiance. This FOV had more of a square layout. The separate sleeping area was again 2 bunks, but had lots of floor space as well. The older kids were 11 and 13 this time and again loved it.

The sofa sleeper is also curtained off from the main bed and the separate sleeping area, so you really have 3 private areas. The availability of these cabins is a deciding factor when we cruise RCL. We have also cruised RCL in adjoining and connecting cabins. With the connecting cabins, we sailed with my youngest who was 2 at the time. I did not feel comfortable with not being able to see him easily. You can keep the door between the cabins open at all times, but the door was right across from the 2 beds and was in the way much of the time. With the adjoining cabins, youngest ds was 5 and he managed to look himself out one day when dd and I were at an early spa appointment. :eek:

I would definitely keep the family cabin. :D

I will be traveling with my husband and young children (4 and under) on an RCI cruise in the spring. Right now I have a family stateroom reserved. The benefit of this is everyone in one room, extra closets, and a bathtub. Of course, the disadvantage to this is also that we will all be in the same stateroom. Prices on the cruise have come down a bit since I booked, and it is now a similar price to book two adjoining staterooms. Which would you choose and why?

I have a question about adjoining staterooms. Is it possible to leave the door open all the time, except when privacy is desired? Would you feel OK with leaving the kids in one room and the adults in the other?

Thanks for any advice and first hand experience tips you can offer!

Archived