Miami/Ft Lauderdale question - need advice!

jimbug

Ok, here is the situation...need advice/input, please!

Background info:

We are flying into Ft Lauderdale on a red-eye flight, and will be arriving on a Friday morning around 6:00 a.m. We will be 4 adults + 2 toddlers. The toddlers still require car seats in regular vehicles, so that is something to consider. Hotel reservations are in Miami, and we are cruising out of Port of Miami the next day.

Option #1:

Take the Tri-Rail commuter train from FLL to MIA. The hotel (Element by Westin) offers free pick-up from the train station, and includes transfers to the port the next day. We would need to use the hotel shuttle or cabs to make a grocery store run that day, and would basically be confined to the hotel, with food delivery for dinner (they don't have a restaurant). Total cost: $16 for the train fare, and maybe $5-$10 in tips if we can talk the hotel shuttle into taking us to the grocery store and somewhere for dinner.

Option #2:

Rent a car from Fox in FLL, with return in MIA the same night. The cons are that we have to take 2 shuttles with our bags and the kiddos just to get to the car rental facility, plus paying for the rental, car seat rental, gas, and tolls. Also having to hassle with returning it to MIA and catching the hotel shuttle back that night. The pros are that we'd have our own transportation with the freedom to come and go as we please, for meals and shopping runs, etc. We'd also be able to go over to the nearby Marriott to hang out with friends who are cruising with us and staying there. Total cost: $73 per family ($146 total).

Mathematically, it's an easy answer...but convenience-wise, what would you choose?

Option #2- But with a caveat. Ditch the fox rental and go with an agency located in the car rental center.

I could not imagine loading onto Tri-Rail with TWO toddlers and luggage. I did Metrorail with my wife and daughter (also a toddler) and while we fared well, we only had to wait a few minutes for the train. The wait time between Tri-Rail trains and the kids will be hard to bear...doesn't sound like the way to start a vacation IMHO.

Option #2- But with a caveat. Ditch the fox rental and go with an agency located in the car rental center.

I could not imagine loading onto Tri-Rail with TWO toddlers and luggage. I did Metrorail with my wife and daughter (also a toddler) and while we fared well, we only had to wait a few minutes for the train. The wait time between Tri-Rail trains and the kids will be hard to bear...doesn't sound like the way to start a vacation IMHO.

The price difference in a car agency in the RCC and Fox is astronomical. Must be the time of year, because Fox was only $37 (tax included). We were looking at paying at least $85+ for another agency one-way rental...and that was WITH trying all of our corporate discounts, coupon codes, etc.

Ok, thanks for the info on Fox. We will scrap that idea.

Right now we are deciding between using Tri-Rail down to MIA as described, or booking a shuttle service and moving our reservation downtown Miami. Or for yet another option, staying in FLL overnight and then shuttling to the port the next morning.

:)Of course, first make sure that SAS transportation service has toddler car seats. I don't have that info. Other popular transfer services are Larry's Limos and Quality Limo Service.

And FLL based Go Airport Shuttle. :)

I think we are going to stay in Ft Lauderdale. Sheraton Suites Plantation, actually. A little further out than the airport hotels, but they are willing to send a shuttle for us at the airport and guarantee at least one of our rooms would be ready for our early (6 am) arrival. Also, they have a free shuttle to a local mall and Target, restaurants, etc., which is exactly what we need.

I have a lead on a couple of reputable shuttle services to Port of Miami the next day that provide child seats.

Thanks for all your help!

My last bit of advice is to consider bringing your own car seat. You know the condition/cleanliness of your car seats. They take up a bit of room in the cabin on the cruise, but its worth the sacrifice to me. Also most domestic air carriers will NOT charge you for the car seats, they also don't count against checked bag limits.

Whatever you decide, I wish you a pleasant trip and a relaxing cruise.

I think we are going to stay in Ft Lauderdale. Sheraton Suites Plantation, actually. A little further out than the airport hotels, but they are willing to send a shuttle for us at the airport and guarantee at least one of our rooms would be ready for our early (6 am) arrival. Also, they have a free shuttle to a local mall and Target, restaurants, etc., which is exactly what we need.

I have a lead on a couple of reputable shuttle services to Port of Miami the next day that provide child seats.

Thanks for all your help!

Sounds like a much better option than going through the hassle of a one-way rental.

Archived