Carnival legend review 10/14-10/21!!!

ss75511

Not to argue but don't we tip 11.50 per person per day? Don't the people that deliver our food get a portion of that? That's $80.50 PER PERSON which for us was $161 which was more than our airfare (given we got VERY reasonable airfare :) ) but I feel like with the cost of the cruise + 20% added onto every drink we ordered + $161 in gratuity no one should EXPECT anything additional. Especially in a rude & awkward way. Don't get me wrong I understand where you're coming from, I just don't particularly agree considering the close to $200 in tips we spend over the course of 7 days.

First, thanks for the review... I LOVE that ship! To answer the room service/tip question, NO... room service delivery people do not get any of the daily auto-tips. So next time, please be sure to tip them.;)

Not to argue but don't we tip 11.50 per person per day? Don't the people that deliver our food get a portion of that? That's $80.50 PER PERSON which for us was $161 which was more than our airfare (given we got VERY reasonable airfare :) ) but I feel like with the cost of the cruise + 20% added onto every drink we ordered + $161 in gratuity no one should EXPECT anything additional. Especially in a rude & awkward way. Don't get me wrong I understand where you're coming from, I just don't particularly agree considering the close to $200 in tips we spend over the course of 7 days.

Unfortunately, the $11.50 daily tip does not go to the room service people. According to Carnival the gratuities are distributed this way:

For your convenience, we automatically charge the gratuities for dining and stateroom staff to your onboard Sail & Sign account. The total amount is $11.50 per guest, per day as follows(our recommended guideline effective voyages departing December 1, 2011 and onward):

$ 3.70 USD - Per Day Stateroom Services

$ 5.80 USD - Per Day Dining Room Services

$ 2.00 USD - Per Day Alternative Services: distributed to kitchen, entertainment, guest services and other hotel staff members.

Many of us have tried to find out who gets the $2 but Carnival won't say. Somehow, I think that part of it goes to the Maitre D' because Carnival stopped giving out envelopes to tip him when this new policy went into effect. Anyway, room service expects a tip. JMO.

Personally I think you would be very happy!! This was one of our favorite excursions! It was a great way to see the island via car and when we got to the spa we couldn't have been more impressed! It was literally in the middle of a lush & beautiful jungle...there were animals everywhere & we had the spa completely to ourselves. This was my boyfriend's first professional massage, whereas i've probably had more than 100 in my life. The therapists were very professional & was just such a great treatment. I noticed their prices went up a bit on their website since we went but it's still about HALF of the price of the ship & when do you get to be in such a serene environment like that?! Very comfortable sheets, airconditioned treatment cottages, & clean showers. They've really done everything right. Not to mention its like a beach excursion too! You get to use all of their equipment & their beach front which is beautiful & pristine. Take the time to look on the tripadvisor link because there are great pictures on there but even those don't do the picturesque setting justice!

Have fun & enjoy your cruise! you're gonna love it!!!

Thanks girly, that's what I liked about it, that it included so much along with the massages. I would rather do that than through the ship anyway, I haven't heard too many good things about their onboard spa services... and I know my husband and I would love massages, I run half marathons and he goes to the gym a lot and our sore muscles need it!

In your comments about the awful Lido deck food, I don't see any mention of the Carvery station, did you try the carved meats? They had a huge roast beef one day, a whole roasted turkey another day with all the fixins and the most delicious baked ham I've had in a long time (and yummy cheesy mashed potatos).

Directly following it (at 12:30) was a wine pairing seminar outlining how to pair wines with certain foods & that offered free food & wine.

There is a charge for the wine pairing -- I believe it is $17 per person. Very reasonable considering the generous samples.

ETA Thanks for the review. We have sailed the Legend 3 times. One of our favorites.

Edited by tandemcruzr

Thanks for the review. My Wife and I were on the Legend the week after yours. I agree 100% about the cruise director. This was our 13th Carnival cruise (4th on the Legend) and he was the most unapproachable cruise director I have ever encountered.

Yay! Thanks for the review!

I'm pretty excited about the Serenity area - I was on the ship back in...06 maybe before the change happened and the aft deck was our favourite spot, now that there will be no kids its even better.

Question though, is the aft deck bar, which is now the Serenity bar, still open really late?

Thanks!

Unfortunately, the $11.50 daily tip does not go to the room service people. According to Carnival the gratuities are distributed this way:

For your convenience, we automatically charge the gratuities for dining and stateroom staff to your onboard Sail & Sign account. The total amount is $11.50 per guest, per day as follows(our recommended guideline effective voyages departing December 1, 2011 and onward):

$ 3.70 USD - Per Day Stateroom Services

$ 5.80 USD - Per Day Dining Room Services

$ 2.00 USD - Per Day Alternative Services: distributed to kitchen, entertainment, guest services and other hotel staff members.

Many of us have tried to find out who gets the $2 but Carnival won't say. Somehow, I think that part of it goes to the Maitre D' because Carnival stopped giving out envelopes to tip him when this new policy went into effect. Anyway, room service expects a tip. JMO.

WOW you learn something new everyday!! :) Thank you so much for letting me know...now I feel like a jerk! i've always just assumed they did get part of that! good to know---I will be sure to rectify in the future!!

We booked the spa excursion, super excited now :). Thanks for recommending it so much you really sold us on it!

OH IM SO HAPPY FOR Y'ALL! Please come back & let me know how you guys liked it!! I hope it's as empty as it was when we went! We had the whole spa completely to ourselves which was so serene & romantic and honestly after being on the ship for that many days with so many people it was really needed to have that peace & quiet. I really am so happy for you. if you feel like it email me at ss75511@appstate.edu & I will send you some of the pictures we took! They're breathtaking & it will get you so excited!! I wish I could post on there but photo bucket was taking like 2 full minutes per picture upload and I wouldn't even know where to begin considering we took 300 pictures in all over the course of the cruise. I would LOVE to send you the one from the spa though!! just email me!

Ok, I have to ask. What did the guide say about December 2012? ;)

Thanks for the review, by the way!

Don't kill me but the last thing I would want to do is take away patrons from this wonderful man by telling people that!! This experience was literally a once in a lifetime type of a situation & I cannot say better things about it! PLEASE go if you're looking for a truly cultural & serene experience unlike anything else you can do anywhere.

Yay! Thanks for the review!

I'm pretty excited about the Serenity area - I was on the ship back in...06 maybe before the change happened and the aft deck was our favourite spot, now that there will be no kids its even better.

Question though, is the aft deck bar, which is now the Serenity bar, still open really late?

Thanks!

You will just LOVE the serenity area. It really was my favorite spot on the ship & that's saying something on a ship this beautiful, well-maintained, with lots of nooks & crannies like the enchanted forest!!

Unfortunately no the serenity bar isn't open past 7 or so. Neither is towel service. That part of the ship pretty much shuts down past 7 but the pool & hot tubs are still open til midnight!! you just have to get a drink from an indoor bar & take it up there with you. Or a pitcher from the sport bar if you're a beer drinker because that's a really good deal! Pretty much all of the outdoor lido bars close before dark except for the deck party/mexican buffet night! Hope this helps, have so much fun on your cruise....you're gonna love the Legend!

You will just LOVE the serenity area. It really was my favorite spot on the ship & that's saying something on a ship this beautiful, well-maintained, with lots of nooks & crannies like the enchanted forest!!

Unfortunately no the serenity bar isn't open past 7 or so. Neither is towel service. That part of the ship pretty much shuts down past 7 but the pool & hot tubs are still open til midnight!! you just have to get a drink from an indoor bar & take it up there with you. Or a pitcher from the sport bar if you're a beer drinker because that's a really good deal! Pretty much all of the outdoor lido bars close before dark except for the deck party/mexican buffet night! Hope this helps, have so much fun on your cruise....you're gonna love the Legend!

Boo! Oh well, maybe that was just our favourite spot on that cruise I'm sure we'll find a new favourite spot this time! Excited about the pitchers of beer too.. I don't remember ever having pitchers on a cruise before!! I'm assuming that means you can take them out of the sports bar?

Thanks for your response!

• 1 year later...

Yes you can take them out of the sports bar! My fiancé got one a few of the nights---I remember the Mexican buffet for sure and we sat in a lounge and drank the beer and ate our Mexican food and were never bothered!