Cruising after knee surgery

addicted2

I just found out yesterday from the Dr. that I will be having knee surgery on Dec. 10. He will be converting my partial knee replacement to a total knee replacement. We have a cruise booked for January 19th just a little over six weeks after surgery. Have any of you had this surgery and if so how mobile will I be six weeks out. I am in my early 40's and am very active and in pretty good shape so hopefully that will help speed up my recovery. Just not sure how mobile I will be.

Hey addicted2, this is a timely post. I am a 54 year old guy, active but on the heavy side, who had a full knee replacement on August 9th, about 10 weeks ago. I leave for my cruise on the Allure in 9 days. I can give you my perspective on the experience with my knee, but of course everyone is an individual and will have unique challenges.

After 6 previous scopes, my knees were toast and the first knee replacement was done. Frankly, the post surgery pain was very intense. For the first 2-3 two weeks you will be on a heavy duty cocktail of pain killers. Take them so you can do your exercises. You get what you put into it. I was supposed to be on a walker for up to a month, I was on one for 4 days. The cane was supposed to be another month, I was off it after 8 days. How - I worked my butt off at physio, as painful as it was. After being discharged from physio, I continue 3x per week workouts at the gym but am very careful at the exercises I do. I had a physio and personal trainer design my program together and checked it out with my surgeon to be sure that I was not doing any damage.

My knee is almost feeling great. I have no pain walking. The only outstanding issue is pain going down stairs. The surgery removes the anterior cruciate ligament and the quad muscles have to take over. I have no doubt that I will be able to enjoy the cruise without difficulty. I may not be doing the flow rider or the two-step but normal activities should not be a problem.

Six weeks though? That's going to be cutting it close. Even though my surgeon said that I am way ahead of the curve in terms of recovery, six weeks would have been really tough. I don't think I could have done it. In addition, you should check whether your surgeon will allow you to fly. There might be a risk of blood clots.

Good luck!!

At 40, I think chances are good you will be feeling ok, but not great. I had mine done last year at 50 and was back to work in 6 weeks but the first 4 weeks were not a fun trip. A few months prior, I was on a cruise 4 weeks after a total hip done and it was great. Just don't have high expectations for a vigorous workout -yet! I really like my orthopedic surgeon and am thankful they have the technology to replace joints!!

I had left knee replaced one year and the right replaced the next year.

both recoveries, I was playing golf in 6 weeks..I was able to do the stairs.

your PT is critical tho...make sure you work on getting your leg straight as well as range of motion.. so all they tell you to do and you should be fine..happy cruising

Bev

I cruised five weeks after the partial replacement last year. I still had a brace on and had to ice pack the knee every night. Granted I wasn't able to do stairs all that well but I still went to the fitness center every day and rode the stationary bike. Just don't know how much harder the recovery from a total will be. My Dr. has already said that I can travel after a month so that won't be a problem, plus he knows (since this will be the sixth knee surgery in 2 1/2 years that he has done) that I fit surgeries in between our busy travel schedule.

I had left knee replaced one year and the right replaced the next year.

both recoveries, I was playing golf in 6 weeks..I was able to do the stairs.

your PT is critical tho...make sure you work on getting your leg straight as well as range of motion.. so all they tell you to do and you should be fine..happy cruising

Bev

How long ago were they done and how are you doing today?? Hopefully only my right knee will need to be done, the left one already has a partial and is doing great.

I had my left knee replaced in Aug. 2010, we cruise in Oct. 2010.

A key to coming out better is to start now stretching your hamstring. One of the first things they did to me in PT was put a rolled up towel under my knee. The PT person told the aide to leave it like that until he screams. She came back a little later and said I didn't hear you scream. I told her that I had stretched my hamstring before surgery. This helps a lot. Good luck with your surgery.

I cruised five weeks after the partial replacement last year. I still had a brace on and had to ice pack the knee every night. Granted I wasn't able to do stairs all that well but I still went to the fitness center every day and rode the stationary bike. Just don't know how much harder the recovery from a total will be. My Dr. has already said that I can travel after a month so that won't be a problem, plus he knows (since this will be the sixth knee surgery in 2 1/2 years that he has done) that I fit surgeries in between our busy travel schedule.

If your doctor has already told you that you can travel 4 weeks after your surgery, then why are you questioning your ability for mobilization while on the ship? I apologize if I appear harsh with my question but I'm a recovery room and ICU nurse and I have taken care of many patients who underwent knee replacements. I share the same care principle with many of the doctors that I work with; our care is based on patient individuality and not everyone as a whole.

So...your surgeon is the ONLY person who can truly answer your mobility questions since he/she knows the extent of damage to your knees, knows how to fix it and knows your limitations post-operative. You should be able to enjoy your cruise but what you want to physically do on your cruise needs to be discussed in detail with your surgeon.

After 6 weeks, you should be good to go. You may need a cane, but probably not, depending on your therapy. Go to therapy religiously!

yup! I had a miniscus tear in my knee in 2004 and had surgery, was walking in WDW in december of that year. it was a bit painful after a few days, but some aleve worked. then in 2012 I fractured the same knee that summer, and in January 2011 was on a cruise. that salt water was like a miracle. I am 43 now.. I am just now walking extremely comfortable in my stilettos all day. do the therapy, exercise and you'll be fine. BRING THE ALEVE!!:D

If your doctor has already told you that you can travel 4 weeks after your surgery, then why are you questioning your ability for mobilization while on the ship? I apologize if I appear harsh with my question but I'm a recovery room and ICU nurse and I have taken care of many patients who underwent knee replacements. I share the same care principle with many of the doctors that I work with; our care is based on patient individuality and not everyone as a whole.

So...your surgeon is the ONLY person who can truly answer your mobility questions since he/she knows the extent of damage to your knees, knows how to fix it and knows your limitations post-operative. You should be able to enjoy your cruise but what you want to physically do on your cruise needs to be discussed in detail with your surgeon.

Being able to travel is different than how mobile I should expect to be. Being able to travel means I can physically get on the airplane, I am more worried about whether I will be off crutches or other assisted walking devices. And just wanted opinions from others who have been through the same surgery as to how they were at six weeks out. Yes I know to work hard with a PT and to do the exercises ( it will be my eleventh knee surgery) I just have never had this invasive of a surgery before and don't know what to expect recovery wise. Of course I will be talking with my doctor during recovery. Just trying to get as much information beforehand as I can.

I had my total left knee replaced on Oct. 20, 2010 and sailed on Dec. 27. I felt good and did some exercise while on the ship such as my home PT program and aqua therapy in the solarium. We did take a wheelchair along just in case because my right knee also isn't as good as it should be.

My suggestion to you is be vigilant with you pre-surgical exercise program as well as your PT both at a rehab and also at home. I believe it will make all the difference in your recovery. I had an isssue with scar tissue build-up and had to have an outpatient procedure around week 4 of my recovery to break up the scar tissue. After that I progressed much more quickly.

Good luck to you as you prepare for your surgery!

I just wanted opinions from others who have been through the same surgery as to how they were at six weeks out.

At the six week period you are still going to hurt. There will still be residual swelling and the soft tissues will not be completely healed. The more time you spend on your feet, the worse it will be. As you've heard from many who posted, you will be a long way from 100% but with a solid exercise and physio routine, plus appropriate medication and RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation) you will likely do OK. Remember however, that everyone is unique. You won't know how you will be until you actually board the ship.

Archived