Checking In and Leaving Ship

DolfanNY

People do it in San Juan...of course, the ship doesn't leave until 10pm.

I think it could be easily done in Tampa if you checked in early enough. There's an aquarium, restaurants and movie theater within walking distance.

Miami and Port Canaveral do not have anything I can think of within walking distance.

I don't recall if there's anything to see near Galveston.

The rest of the ports I have no idea about.

I do not know the answer but was wondering why you would check in? Would that be to get your baggage checked and not have to worry about them (assuming you flew to the port)? Couldn't a person just drop their baggage off, leave and come back to check in?

I do not know the answer but was wondering why you would check in? Would that be to get your baggage checked and not have to worry about them (assuming you flew to the port)? Couldn't a person just drop their baggage off, leave and come back to check in?

...because they wanted to.

I agree with a previous post....just drop off your bags and do not check in till your ready to board. Although I would think if you can do it in San Juan you probably could do it at any port. Just don't think many do since you have to be on the ship by about 3:00 so there's not much time.

They let my freind of the ship in miami after we had checked in she left the camera in the car .she went to the parking garage got it and came back on in 45 min. I went to the lido and had lunch with the rest of the group but this was pre 9-11 so dont know if they still do it

Galveston. My niece lives in Texas and wants to meet for lunch before the ship leaves.

Daughter and son in law did this years ago, not sure tho if it was Miami or FLL - they checkin in - went on - came off to meet friends for lunch that lived in Florida - got back on in time - no problem.

Going to be trying this get on, check in, get off "process" with the Breeze TA from Barcelona in about a week and a half. The process suggests, you can board, check in through security, then get back off and visit the duty free shops in the port building and bring a few extra refreshments back onboard.

My plan was to drop off bags and meet my niece. If she is running late, we could check in and get our SS cards and then leave. I also did it in San Juan but was curious about the states. We found a few breakfast joints close to the port in Galveston. Anyone have any suggestions?

In Galveston (my homeport) I would drop my luggage with the porter, (I usually arrive at the pier at 10:30 and the porters are ready to accept your luggage) then go shopping and or eat over on the Strand (across the street from the pier) or go to Willie G's, Olympia Grill or Fishermans Wharf (right next to the pier) for lunch.......Those 3 restaurants are pretty pricey, but you can sit and watch the activity on the pier as the ship gets loaded......Don't miss having some Shrimp Kisses.....they are to die for..........

Across the street in the Strand district are many restaurants, plus lots of shops and stuff that are open after noon on Sunday.......

You need to be sure to have all of your boarding documents with you (ie. passport, BC, DL and funpass) and you need to plan on being inside the terminal and checking in no later than 2pm.........

In Galveston (my homeport) I would drop my luggage with the porter, (I usually arrive at the pier at 10:30 and the porters are ready to accept your luggage) then go shopping and or eat over on the Strand (across the street from the pier) or go to Willie G's, Olympia Grill or Fishermans Wharf (right next to the pier) for lunch.......Those 3 restaurants are pretty pricey, but you can sit and watch the activity on the pier as the ship gets loaded......Don't miss having some Shrimp Kisses.....they are to die for..........

Across the street in the Strand district are many restaurants, plus lots of shops and stuff that are open after noon on Sunday.......

You need to be sure to have all of your boarding documents with you (ie. passport, BC, DL and funpass) and you need to plan on being inside the terminal and checking in no later than 2pm.........

Exactly the answer I was going to give!

There is a fisherman's wharf right next to the port, the strand is across the street. A few years back, the Ecstasy was delayed, they were giving us OBC to offset food, so we walked across, ate and came back to the port.

As long as you don't plan on dropping off your luggage at 1, checking in, leaving and coming back by 2, you should be fine. Remember, you will have to do security twice if you check in early.

Galveston. My niece lives in Texas and wants to meet for lunch before the ship leaves.

I suggest dropping your luggage off with the porter then make your way to meet your niece for lunch.

I would not waste that time checking in. by the time you get done your lunch the lines should be minimal for checking in.

head back to the pier around 2pm

Going to be trying this get on, check in, get off "process" with the Breeze TA from Barcelona in about a week and a half. The process suggests, you can board, check in through security, then get back off and visit the duty free shops in the port building and bring a few extra refreshments back onboard.

When in Barcelona, after you check in, you have to pass the duty free shops to board the ship. We checked in, got our sign and sail cards, hit the duty free shops for sodas and boarded the ship. Easy peasy!!

DW and I attempted to do this in Tampa and were denied. I do not think they have the machines that check you off and then back on the ship in ports at the embarkation stations. When we went to Hawaii we boarded the normal way and since we had a full day before departure we were allowed to leave and reboard through the lower deck where the id machines are.

Out of Miami once, DH forgot sunglasses in the car... I mean, who forgets their sunglasses on a cruise??? ;) Needless to say, they let me off and out, but only after I physically pointed out my car in the parking area. They weren't thrilled, but let me anyway. I apologized and smiled ALOT... :)

Archived