Rental car to Galveston

mina

We sail on April 6. Arriving on Friday the 5th. I called the enterprise desk at hobby and they told me to just rent the car online and tell them that we will return to Galveston when we pick up the car. No need to book a one way return. Has anyone done this before? Nervous that we get to the desk and they say no way! Also how bad is the drive there on a Friday around 2 pm? Ha e read it can be nasty on a Friday afternoon, but hoping leaving between 1 and 2 is early enough to neat traffic. Thoughts?

Hi Gwen, did you call the reservation line or call the desk at hobby directly. The desk at hobby told me not to call the reservation line. But again not sure that is good advice.

I actually called the Galveston location and talked to one of their employees and they told me that the drop fee for leaving the car at the airport was $50 if i did not return it to the Galveston Enterprise.

Sailing on Triumph 5-day on 12/31. Used that name your price site and bid $17/day for a midsize. Prepaid parkandcruise, $35. My bid at IAH was accepted. Be aware that taxes and franchise fees are outrageous and when added to my $102 rental fee took the total cost to $181. Add the parking and transportation to/from port will be $216. Even though the car will sit most of the time, since we arrive at noon on 12/30, extra $50 to have a car at our disposal, and to get back to airport on Saturday, is well worth it. Bid was accepted by that company that had commercials showing OJ running through airports.

I just spoke to enterprise with the same question and was told it was $100 drop fee. My quote for oneway rental compact car from IAH to Galveston was $232.15...very scary !!!

I booked with Enterprise out of Hobby for Friday, March 29 with a Sunday, March 31 return in Galveston. Was told there was no drop off fee and doesn't look like there is one on my confirmation. I did call and book with an agent, did not do it online. Here is the price breakdown from the confirmation they sent for an intermediate size car:

Rate information (all rates in U.S. DOLLARS):

Daily 2 DAYS @ 54.99 = 109.98

TEXAS REIMBURSEMENT FEE 2 DAYS @ 1.35 = 2.70

* Subtotal = 112.68

CONCESSION RECOVERY FEE 11.11 % = 12.52

SALES TAX 10.00 % = 12.52

HARRIS COUNTY STADIUM TAX 5.00 % = 6.27

Total charges = 143.99

Now I just have to figure out how to get to the cruise terminal once we drop off the car.

... Now I just have to figure out how to get to the cruise terminal once we drop off the car.

Since Enterprise in Galveston is closed on Sundays, you will be dropping the car off and putting the key in a box.

If I remember correctly, there will be a sign there with taxi info to get you to the cruise terminal.

Kat 50.gif

Its cheaper to rent the car for a week from Houston, park it at the EZPark and then take it back to Houston. Thats what DH and I are doing for our upcoming cruise (except we are leaving it at the hotel in galveston) There is a thread someone on this particular thread about easy park and getting $5 off the parking price. I think for 6-9 days it was $60 which is a better deal. Its one fill up from and back to houston.

Traffic is hit or miss, sometimes 2 pmish works really well depending on construction and the roads you take. If there is an accident its going to take you a lot longer. Normal drive time is about 1 1/2 hours

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update -- we decided to book through Z limo -- got a towncar for $90 plus airport fee of $6. We do not have to stress about traffic, getting the rental car filled for return and then getting a taxi to the hotel! Seemed easier this way!

Archived