Review- PG 7 Night Society Islands Oct 2012

Familygoboston

Kayaking the Faaroa River

After lunch at Le Grille, we await our excursion in the Grand Salon at 1:15 PM.

On the dock, we met Celine and Viviene for the Faaroa river kayaking trip and are driven to the put in place, which is in some kind of municipal park about 15 minutes away.

(kayaks)

146945839.jpg

(municipal gathering area, where locals are enjoying their Sunday with music and a BBQ)

146945842.jpg

The kayaks are all tandems (for 2) and a little basic instruction is given, but all but one couple has at least some paddling experience.

(kayaking on the river)

146945841.jpg

146945840.jpg

We head out as Vivienne explains points out plants and things along the route. The paddling is not strenuous, though it gets narrow in places and we all have a lot of laughs turning sideways or getting hung up on the banks. The more experienced folks are encouraging of the newer ones and everyone has a good time.

146945843.jpg

We pass by riverfront homes where people are enjoying Sunday picnics set up on their docks. They are happy to wave to the tourists- "ia orana"! they call as we paddle by. The river is very shallow and the group of 16 is convivial and supportive and we all have a great time. There is a fire station, where the nice firemen let us use their bathroom, upon returning. There is a soccer field where the kids are playing and several of our tour folks join in and the kids are happy to have them. Here they are untainted by an idea that tourists mean money- they are friendly, and happy to have folks join in, but with none of that hand out behavior you see encouraged by heavily touristed areas. The kayaking was great, but seeing local people enjoying their Sunday afternoon was even more fun!

On our ride home, another shower breaks out and when we return to our cabin there is a rainbow over the Motu on the starboard side of the ship we can see from our balcony. The words "impossibly beautiful" pop into my head!

(rainbow over the motu)

146945853.jpg

Our laundry was already back, everything perfectly clean and pressed, everything but socks and underwear on a hanger ( including DHs sweatshirt!) the laundry package is well worth it, our safari shirts from kayaking are covered in mud, and they will go out tomorrow!

We put on our " good stuff "; a sun dress for me, dress pants and a Tahitian style shirt for DH- after all it's the Captains dinner tonight! The dress on the ship is very casual, we rarely see a gentleman in a jacket. Most ladies wear a sundress or capris or slacks with a nice top. Most men wear a Polynesian shirt or other button down or even a collared golf shirt with slacks.

The captain greets his guests in the Grand Salon and there is a chance for a photo with the Captain. Then introductions are made on stage of the officers and entertainment staff. We have dinner in L'Etoile, choosing to dine alone and were seated in the entry area of the dining room where there are padded benches on one side of the table and chairs set up on the other. This is not nearly as lively as the main part of the dining room, and we decide to dine with others except for the nights we will celebrate our anniversary with dinners at Le Grille and La Verandah.

Thanks for the insight and useful discourse of your time. We're booked for next March, so I'm prepping the specifics now. One question (that you and many others can no doubt answer...) re dinner at Le Grill or Le Veranda...

Do they do the reservations day by day, first-come-first-served for both venues, or do folks generally ID the night/s they are after, and then do multiples when they board on the first day? If you decide to try for a reservation the same evening, did they generally have room, or is it more of a Regent or Oceania-style once per cruise evening? We're not getting to the ship until after the initial groups, and I didn't want to have to worry/hustle/whine/moan any more than usual (to the great relief of my DW if so).

Thanks for your help, and for taking the time to post your reviews. Everyone on this board has been very helpful, and we are looking forward to the experiences so many rave over on our cruise.

Best Regards, Bob H

Thanks for the insight and useful discourse of your time. We're booked for next March, so I'm prepping the specifics now. One question (that you and many others can no doubt answer...) re dinner at Le Grill or Le Veranda...

Do they do the reservations day by day, first-come-first-served for both venues, or do folks generally ID the night/s they are after, and then do multiples when they board on the first day? If you decide to try for a reservation the same evening, did they generally have room, or is it more of a Regent or Oceania-style once per cruise evening? We're not getting to the ship until after the initial groups, and I didn't want to have to worry/hustle/whine/moan any more than usual (to the great relief of my DW if so).

Thanks for your help, and for taking the time to post your reviews. Everyone on this board has been very helpful, and we are looking forward to the experiences so many rave over on our cruise.

Best Regards, Bob H

Hi Bob...thanks!!

As to your question, you are allowed to make reservations on the first day for the whole cruise. I don't know whether or not you can make more than one time at each place, because we didn't try, but I'm sure some of our more experienced folks might know. We wanted to book the first night to get our anniversary dinners on the actual day. But plenty of folks could get them during the week, so long as you are flexible about the time. In La Verandah we saw many empty tables at 7:30. Not sure if that was by design to ensure the kitchen can keep up, or if they could fit you in on the same day! I think one of the tricky ones in Le Grille on the first Bora Bora or Moorea nights, since you are not underway, the outdoor experience is a little nicer and less windy.

Hope that helps!

More, more!!!

Thank you for the great review!! Can't wait to see the rest of the review. Just wonderful!

Thanks Tiny- so I thought we had dodged this storm, and then last night we have a thunderstorm and lost power from 6PM- 2 AM. I've been seeing that the NY NJ area really took the brunt of this one, I sure hope everyone is ok, and am keeping all our CC friends from the area in my thoughts! Usually they over hype these things, but this one looks terrible in that area!

This is so great! It's like my new favourite soap (have to keep watching/reading to see what happens next) hehe.

Keep em coming! :)

LOL! Thanks! I promise you I don't burn the ship down and it gets far more boring after this!;)

Day 5 Oct 8 Tahaa

Taaha Ia Orana

146946072.jpg

146946073.jpg

146946074.jpg

146946075.jpg

For this cruise we don't leave Moorea for Taaha till first thing in the morning.

(view of Taaha)

146945859.jpg

We got up early and we sat outside to watch the ship move from Raitea to the little channel between where Tahaa is located and the ring of motus. The sail took about an hour, we could see the Tahaa side from starboard.

We had breakfast after anchoring. We decided to go to La Verandah, and while all the outside tables were taken, we did enjoy a window seat for breakfast.

After breakfast we go our separate ways. I take a Polynesian "Zumba" class with one of the Gauguines. It's great fun learning all dance moves, it's all about the hips. They offered classes every other day during the week, but we have morning excursions, so I only make this class. She plays traditional Polynesian music and teaches us the various steps to Polynesian dances and has us repeat them. She tells us we must have all have a pareo, so we can see our hips, hide our knees and dance properly. Now, I can hardly wait to find one I like!

DH attended the pearl seminar at the boutique, which of course is meant to sell pearls, but also very educational about how the pearls are cultured here.

Now, I can hardly wait to find one I like!;)

In general, we have found that if there is a "talk", it is usually excellent, helpful information. (And the onboard experts in Moorea are not to be missed, in my opinion) On some of our other cruises, these talks are just opportunities to sell something, but even though we didn't go to any of the port talks, those who did go told us they learned very interesting information, helpful tips for navigating the island and encountered no hard sell.

At 10 AM the first tenders go off to Tahaa for excursions and to the motu. We take a later one and arrive at the Motu at 10:20 AM and choose two loungers under a palm tree.

TIPS: Tendering

-The first morning tenders are reserved for those with early excursions, but you can take it if you have an early private excursion to meet.

-We never encountered any lines either leaving or re entering the ship.

-tenders usually run continuously, and the schedule will be posted in the Ia Orana

-This photo is the interior of the regular tender. This one stays pretty dry and has seats up top (outside) and inside below.

146945855.jpg

-There is also one that looks like a military personnel carrier, that they use for the motus, the bow drops down and you exit right onto the sand from the tender- (think Normandy beach without the guns) Beware if you sit in the front of this one because it does take on water if there are waves and you can get soaked! On that tender when the waves wash over the bow, it will flow along the floor of the tender, so if you have dry clothes or towels going to the motu, keep them on your lap, not on the floor, unless you have a waterproof bag.

(this is a pic of DH in the very front of this type- you can see how "open" it is- he got soaked shortly after this:eek:;)

314118_4746988230474_616621206_n.jpg

(marina exterior from the tender- just so you can see how it looks from the outside., This shot also gives you a good view of the dive boats on the stern getting ready to go. To the right of this photo you can just see a peek of the covered part of the personnel carrier style tender!)

146945862.jpg

We decide to start by snorkeling. We were worried too may people would spoil the snorkeling later, by stirring up sand, but that never happens, it's always just a few folks out at a time. No one controls it, but it just never feels crowded. There is no formal trail, but the best thing to do is scope out the darker (deeper) blue channels as the other areas are very shallow with sharp coral and many black spiky sea urchins, so it's easy to get into an area with little room to maneuver.

The snorkeling is quite shallow. We did follow the deeper area and found the area near the wave break (to the far right when facing the water, as Tiki explained to me before we left) to have the most abundant fish and coral. The current is a bit stronger there, but it is pushing you back towards the lagoon and motu, so it never felt unsafe. We made sure to carefully inspect the coral formations as fish hide in the and many colorful clams are tucked into the coral. (DH learned at the pearl seminar that the colorful meat of the clam lips is used in culturing to determine the color of the pearl.) We were also careful not to ever stand on the coral.

While we enjoyed snorkeling here, we did find the snorkeling in other places in FP to be better. There was not quite the diversity of fish here as we saw in BB, though one couple did see an eel, though we weren't able to locate it.

(Snorkeling on Taaha)

602528_4746991750562_832773120_n.jpg

(here are those colorful clams!)

146945868.jpg

146945866.jpg

The clarity of the water is amazing, and there were many different kinds of fish, though they were small and not in big schools. the water has lots of coral and spiny urchins, so beach shoes are a must...flip flops won't cut it, because if you go over sideways ("blow out a flip flop"- if you recognize the reference!) you could step on an urchin, as one young lady did, but the staff had vinegar to help with the sting. Everyone joked about the way to solve the problem if you DON'T have vinegar...any guesses? You have it with you all the time and it's also acidic, which is why it works to counter act the toxins from the urchin! The water was very warm.

(Snorkeling on Taaha)

(these are the urchins to avoid)

146945865.jpg

(fish- I miss having a guide to explain which kinds we are seeing!)

146945863.jpg

146945864.jpg

The Motu has many palm trees, and land crab holes, so beware walking and sitting under palm trees. We saw one couple have a near miss when a huge palm frond gave way and nearly landed on them. Thankfully, they were just getting up to head back to the tender, so it missed them. The cruise line does make efforts to cut the coconuts down and keep up with the decaying palms for safety, but its still a natural area.

Luckily, they put all those removed coconuts to good use!

146945870.jpg

There are many loungers all around under palms and picnic tables under umbrellas. The sand is course and coral studded, not the fine white sand you might have in your imagination. But it is beautiful! There is a bathhouse, an open air barbecue area and a bar.

(buffet)

146945856.jpg

We snorkeled for about an hour and a half, then rested and enjoyed the pina coladas, then had lunch at 12:45 PM. The buffet is open from 12-2 PM and had a variety of meats, chicken, fish, and hamburgers. There were several salads and corn on the cob. Several desserts were set out.

There was a full bar next to the buffet, as well as the floating bar, but since the bar tender doesn't really want to stand out there in the sun, and it's rarely staffed. I stood out there next to it for several minutes, but no one came out to serve me, until I picked up a bottle to pour my own, thinking it might be self serve (?) and then a waiter came running! But it does looks cool floating out there!

While we are talking bar service, I also had a weird experience at the regular bar on the motu. I was waiting to be served, but even though there were several bar tenders working, they kept offering beers to the guys just walking up and standing behind me. It was odd, and I can only attribute it to that they think (know?) that the ladies will want a mixed drink, which is more complicated, so it's easier to hand someone a bottle and hope their buddy gets stuck making my pina colada?? Maybe, it's because I don't spend a lot of time at the bars and the guys behind me were already their "pals"?? Maybe I caused some offense in not having my DH fetch the drinks for me?? After these two off putting experiences, I did make him fetch drinks after that. Anyway, it was odd and the only place I noticed this.

This was the sunniest and hottest day we had in the islands. So we were quite lucky to have our best weather on our "beach" day. The Gauguines offered pareo tying at 2 PM, and Les Gauguines entertain the entire time strolling while singing and playing the ukulele.

(Les Guaguines on Taaha- I'm hugging my "zumba" teacher,... I think she is just surprised that I am still alive after her class!)

146945869.jpg

(Pareo tying with Gauguines- she taught the guys some of the "male" wraps too, but we all made "what happens on the Motu stays on the Motu" promise not to post any photos or youtube videos)

146945871.jpg

146945872.jpg

There were also several craft and pearl vendors set up, so do bring some cash with you if you'd like to do some shopping.

After a relaxing day, we tender back to the ship around 3:30 PM. We start out at a sail away party on the pool deck and then move to our own balcony.

The ship leaves for Bora Bora right at sunset and the view from our balcony is stunning! We can see Bora Bora in the distance. To sail to BB the ship must navigate a narrow channel through a huge coral ring, and once through, it turns again and Bora Bora is still on the starboard side. Because the sail is short, we stay out on the balcony until dark, before we anchor in the lagoon at BB at 9:30 PM.

(photos of BB from the starboard side of the pool deck)

146945875.jpg

146945876.jpg

(sunset views with a motu from our balcony sailing to BB)

146945877.jpg

146945878.jpg

146945879.jpg

After the sail away we head to L'Etoile to enjoy dinner with 2 other couples and have a wonderful time. Dan Murphy is performing in the Grand Salon tonight, but we turn in early.

Tips: Seasickness

The question comes up a lot on Cruise Critic about seasickness on PG. Part of this is that some people who would never otherwise cruise are attracted to PG (and rightly so!) Also, I have read reviews where people who have taken some longer PG cruises have found her not well suited to longer and open water itineraries. But on this 7 day cruise I am not sure how seasickness could be a problem. Even if the weather is rough, there is so very little time under sail.

On our cruise, we sailed at 11:30 PM until early morning the first day. This was the longest stretch and we were sound asleep. Once in Raitea, we stayed overnight and left for Tahaa in the morning, we were under sail within a calm lagoon for no more than 2 hours. Then we sailed from Tahaa at 5:30 PM and arrived in Bora Bora at 9:30 PM. We had pretty clam seas, but again, the time was so short that even a rough patch would be short lived! We made the longer stretch to Moorea from early evening till early morning and I did feel some effects of the motion. Some newer cruisers suffered from some motion sickness during this sail, but in Moorea the ship is anchored for overnight. The trip from Moorea back to Papeete takes about two hours. There are no sea days on this itinerary.

Just to compare this to Alaskan or Caribbean cruises, where you are under way every night for 8-12 hours, plus sea days (at least 48 hours underway, plus 24 for each sea day) here we were only underway sailing for a little more than 24 hours, so you literally are moving less than 1/2 the time than on one of those cruises. If you have motion concerns I think the 7 night Society Islands cruise, even in tough weather, you would be less likely than on other kinds of cruises to suffer from motion problems.

Here are my motion sickness tips (for newer cruisers):

-try not to be caught with an empty tummy, proteins work best to alleviate the nausea. Try to have a nut snack or enjoy something with protein for breakfast or dinner.

-some find the sea bands to work well for them.

-I always carried ginger gum, when I started to feel dizzy from motion I chewed this and it prevented nausea from starting. Having a ginger ale will work similarly.

- less drowsy Bonnine, (meclizine) can be taken a bit before the ship sails to prevent motion sickness. I did take them the night we sailed from Bora Bora to Moorea.

- Dramamine (dimenhydrinate) is stronger, but also can make you drowsy, best to use right before bedtime and only if it's really rough.

- I did see some folks just wearing the Scopolamine patch and they seemed to have no trouble. You should ask your own travel doctor about any medications.

-I wouldn't let the fear of this keep you from taking this trip and we didn't find any level discomfort that interfered with our enjoyment of the trip. A few new cruisers missed dinner during the BB to Moorea sail, but I think had we sailed a few more days, they would have fared better, IMO, you do get used to the motion and feel the effects less over time.

Up next: Bora Bora!

Day 6 Oct 9 Bora Bora

Bora Bora Ia Orana

146946076.jpg

146946077.jpg

146946078.jpg

146946079.jpg

Tenders leave from starboard side, and we have a view of Motu Toopua, while the port side had views of the mountain, Pahia, on BB. The ship anchors in the channel very near Vaitape, the main village. There are several gift shops there as well as an Avis for car and bike rentals.

(map of BB- here it is so you don't need to go back)

146946080.jpg

We had a tour booked with Patrick's company, Maohi Nui in BB. I had contacted them before we sailed and they were very responsive. We were able to get a group together on our CC roll call who wanted to do a tour with his company. One young man was planning his honeymoon and staying at the BB IC Thallaso, but found us on CC to join our group. There was much back and forth about whether to do the 1/2 Lagoon Safari, or the 3/4 Day Safari with BBQ. After many back and forths, we finally settled on just the 1/2 Day Lagoon Safari. Those of us on the ship felt we already had a meal paid and waiting for us on board the PG and we didn't need to pay for an additional one.

Maeve at Maohi Nui made it very easy, each person contacted her personally via email to commit to the excursion, and she would send us all an email to confirm the price (based on the number of people) and time. It couldn't have been easier to plan and the office was very responsive!

There was also the same excursion offered by PG; Lagoon Excursion with Maohi Nui, and we did see PG cruisers doing this excursion at our stops. The only advantage of taking the private excursion, is with a group, the price per person is better than ships excursion. But the experiences are the same, with a slightly larger group on the boats on the ships excursion. We did have the advantage of having Patrick himself lead our tour, and he was terrific, engaging, knowledgeable and fun!

Unfortunately, our tour started about 1/2 late because the newlyweds at the IC Thalasso forgot to take the water shuttle over from their hotel to the main island and so Patrick had to pick them up by boat at the IC Thallasso, and was 30 minutes late. His assistant Maeve was there to meet us and explain this to those of us who came over from PG. She watched our snorkel gear while the 6 of us from the ship shopped at the local shops. But Patrick made the time up plus more on the other end, so no harm, and it was good of Maeve to make sure we were well taken care of till the tour started.

(our boat and captain for 1/2 day lagoon tour)

146945905.jpg

(Patrick at the helm)

146945881.jpg

We had a great group on our tour, Nikki and Jamie, Janet and Joe, all celebrating long marriages on PG and our newly weds, Adam and Chelsea. We had a lot of laughs and saw some amazing marine life! We enjoyed Patrick's narrative and he and his guys free diving with the sharks.

First stop, unscheduled! Patrick and some of the other tour boats spot a mother and calf humpback whales. We follow at a safe distance (for the whales) and watch them surface and saw their tail flukes. It's a breathe taking sight, but unfortunately all of us have our Nikon water cameras and not near enough zoom to get a good shot of them. Luckily, I did bring my binoculars and I can see quite well, despite the distance.

Our first official stop is sharks!!

(black tip sharks)

146945890.jpg

146945889.jpg

146945888.jpg

(lemon sharks were huge, 6- 8 feet, luckily they stayed low, or I might have been a bit nervous!)

146945884.jpg

146945882.jpg

Even the "sucker fish" attached to it on the bottom was pretty good sized!

(Patrick's guys free diving)

146945883.jpg

My very first cruise ever was on the PG and I felt motion sick. Ever since then I travel with sea bands and Bonine. I pop a pill to start and then see how I feel in the next 24 hours. The dining room has crystalized ginger to munch on as you enter or leave the main dining room.

Did you attend any of the evening shows? Besides the Gauguines, who was performing?

I think your motu bar experience was unique.

After our tour, time for a circle tour of the island. We drop the newlyweds off on the dock to their OWB as we go by and then head back to town so we can get a tender back to the PG.

(serenaded by Patrick)

146945896.jpg

(warming up on the bow after snorkeling)

146945904.jpg

(enjoying a local libation)

146945903.jpg

TIPS: what to take on this excursion

-wear swim suit

-ships snorkel gear

-cover ups (one for wet between stops, such as a surf shirt and one warmer for the circle tour)

-wear reef or water shoes

-sun screen

-ships towel

-camera

-binoculars

-don't wear flashy jewelry in the water with the sharks!

Before leaving Bora Bora on the tender, we did a little shopping at the craft market right at the pier and some of the shops in the town. I'll talk a little bit more about shopping on day 2 in Bora Bora.

We met a few folks who had done some biking around Bora Bora. The bike rental shop is right at the pier where the tender leaves you. The island is small enough to do the circle in 3-4 hours with stops. It looked pretty flat along the ring road along the shore.

We had a 4 x 4 tour planned for day 2 in Bora Bora, which we want to do, but we consider cancelling the 4x4 tour (which would be our 3rd that week) we had scheduled in Moorea to rent mountain bikes instead. Our plan is to tackle the Belvedere by bike rather than rental car or 4x4 tour in Moorea. After all the rich food, we can use the workout! So on our way back to our room, we stop at the Travel Concierge desk and Fernando promises to arrange bike rentals on Moorea and call us when it's all set.

That evening, the honeymooners and anniversary celebration is scheduled for 5:15 PM in La Palette. We dress and head up to find the lounge full, but we find our new friends Janet and Joe, and Nikki and Jamie, who did the Patrick's tour with us. We had learned on CC before we left that we were married on the exact same day as Janet and Joe 25 years ago! Talking a little more we learn we were both married at 10 AM....1/10/10 at 10...not easy to forget!!

The ceremony is lovely, the Gauguines dance, read a poem and perform for us, explain the Polynesian tradition behind the blanket. Then Verity Brown the cruise director calls up all the newlyweds and then couples by years married till we get to the folks married the longest. We go outside where we are wrapped and have a photo with BB in the background. Cake and champagne is served and we all toast to many more happy years!

(Les Gauguines)

146945907.jpg

146945908.jpg

(Joe and Janet and Kathy and Jeff married the same day 25 years ago!)

146945911.jpg

(wrapped in the blanket)

146946061.jpg

After the celebration, we have reservations at Le Grille. Some friends are going back to BB to go to Bloody Mary's for dinner. Later they tell is it was wonderful and all the fish was excellent.

We relax on deck at LaPalette with Siglo playing and we mingled with others before our dinner reservation at 7:30 PM at Le Grille.

Le Grille was very good, but I couldn't get past it being the "pool buffet". Certainly, the food was excellent. I had fish and DH had beef, I probably had a little too much champagne to accurately review the food,;) but the atmosphere did feel casual. We like casual and we enjoyed our dinner before heading back to La Palette to relax on the stern. It was a romantic and relaxing night in French Polynesia.

We did stop in to see Verity Brown's show at 9:30 PM in the Grand Salon. She has a lovely voice, and did a very nice job with the standards and a little medley of the Carpenters, but we called it quits for the night when she started with a few country and western tunes, since that's not our thing.

I'm reading this at work dreaming about my own PG cruise next June. Great stories, tips and photos. Thanks VERY much.

I have a bad feeling this story is going to have a sad ending!:rolleyes:

LOl! Yes...like all my trips...they END!:( Thanks!!

My very first cruise ever was on the PG and I felt motion sick. Ever since then I travel with sea bands and Bonine. I pop a pill to start and then see how I feel in the next 24 hours. The dining room has crystalized ginger to munch on as you enter or leave the main dining room.

Did you attend any of the evening shows? Besides the Gauguines, who was performing?

I think your motu bar experience was unique.

Thanks! I enjoy writing them and reliving the trip! We didn't attend all the shows, it was a combination of being a little jet lagged early in the trip and wanting to spend some of our vacation time with each other. We did catch the "guest" shows - the Polynesian dancers visiting in Mooera and Tahiti and we really enjoyed those. (The group names are in the Ia Orana for Moorea, coming up soon)

The Krew Kapers show was cute and we enjoyed that. We caught a bit of Verity's show, but we missed Dan the piano man doing movie themes (though later you'll hear how my DH dominated "name that tune":rolleyes:).

In general I didn't have high expectations because we were really going on this trip for the islands and I was very pleasantly surprised...everyone was very talented and I especially loved the cultural shows! I'm still mad at myself that I missed the kids in Raitea!:mad: I teach preschool and love the children!

I certainly hope my motu bar experience was unique, I'm not a pushy person, but I'm not invisible either. But I was on Island time...so I didn't make a big deal out of it, but found it was odd!

Family,

Like someone else said it is unusual to wait for service at the Motu. This is certainly not the standard. I know they are extra warm to returning guests or those they serve a lot in the bars simply because they have established relationships but its definitely not the norm and even on the first visit to MM we had excellent service.