Review- PG 7 Night Society Islands Oct 2012

Familygoboston

Family.....My wife and I are sailing on the December 29th seven day SI cruise (1st time in FP) and really enjoyed reading you report. We actually were feeling depressed when it ended!! You have given us a lot of valuable information. We'll be spending 3 days pre-cruise at the IC Tahiti and that 1/2 day jeep tour you took seems like a good idea to us. We'll be cruising to Bora Bora on New Years Eve so it should make for interesting times. Again...many thanks for your time and effort. Best Wishes to you and your family... Steve

Family.....My wife and I are sailing on the December 29th seven day SI cruise (1st time in FP) and really enjoyed reading you report. We actually were feeling depressed when it ended!! You have given us a lot of valuable information. We'll be spending 3 days pre-cruise at the IC Tahiti and that 1/2 day jeep tour you took seems like a good idea to us. We'll be cruising to Bora Bora on New Years Eve so it should make for interesting times. Again...many thanks for your time and effort. Best Wishes to you and your family... Steve

Thanks Steve! I thought I was the only one who felt this way about reviews!;):o

That New Years Cruise sounds like fun! Based on the photos PG posted of Halloween, I'd imagine there will be quite a celebration! The Jeep tour in Tahiti is really interesting, and swimming in the waterfall is fun! Hope you have a great trip!

Family,

I so much enjoyed reading your review and seeing your great pics. We've been planning our cruise for over a year and it's coming up in a few weeks. Your review added to the anticipation and I love your sense of humor!

Thanks Lolly! I had mine booked the day the dates came out, and then hung around here to learn and get excited for the next year and 1/2...so I get it:o

You will have a great trip, I'm sure of it, you'd have to have a major run of bad luck or be a complete stick in the mud to have a bad trip with PG!

Hope you can share a few pics yourself when you return!

Hi Family. First please note I am not stalking you..:D I knew you were taking a cruise that I don't think I will ever do and I really wanted to see how great it was. Your review did not disappoint. Your ability to "paint a picture" with words, along with your DH's beautiful photos gave me a chance to escape to a far away land for a short while. As our weather is turning colder here I may just have to re-read this for some virtual warmth. Thanks for doing these reviews for those going on these cruises and for those, like me, that only wish we could go. Now where is my lottery ticket...kidding. We don't gamble.:)

Hi Family. First please note I am not stalking you..:D I knew you were taking a cruise that I don't think I will ever do and I really wanted to see how great it was. Your review did not disappoint. Your ability to "paint a picture" with words, along with your DH's beautiful photos gave me a chance to escape to a far away land for a short while. As our weather is turning colder here I may just have to re-read this for some virtual warmth. Thanks for doing these reviews for those going on these cruises and for those, like me, that only wish we could go. Now where is my lottery ticket...kidding. We don't gamble.:)

Hi Happy! Welcome to the PG boards- everyone is sooo nice over here! I saw one argument, once! And even then everyone eventually apologized when cooler heads prevailed!:p

I'm so glad you did " stalk" - I do it all the time! One thing about "meeting" people on one board is you don't get to see where else they cruise! I think its a great way to learn about other destinations. That's why I've been doing the links in my signature, since I'm the kind of gal who "gets around" on CC;)

You are kind to say such nice things! I do hope you get to travel to FP one day soon...given how expensive just flying to Florida is these days, you might as well go to FP! I don't gamble either, every dollar not spent on a ticket is one more in the vacation fund, right? Hope to see you onboard a ship one day, and thanks again!

Edited by Familygoboston

happyiam...sign up on the pg website for email updates. You'll get notification of when they have their sales. Their prices are totally all inclusive so although they appear high, you literally don't have to spend any more money on board with the exception of tours if you want. A good TA will also give you an OBC and possibly be able to get you group pricing. Many of us book port hole cabins as those prices are really much more affordable than a balcony.

Also keep in mind that they have:

New First-Time Referrals to the m/s Paul Gauguin

If you are booking a cruise as a first-time guest of the m/s Paul Gauguin, simply mention the name of your referring friend and their Loyalty number, and you receive a $200 shipboard credit per suite/stateroom to use any way you want. I'm sure any of us on board would gladly refer you.

Also, if you've sailed on other lines before, depending on the line, you may be eligible for the PG savings of 5% and at times they increase that to 10%.

Family's review was fabulous and hopefully one day you will be able to experience French Polynesia.

Thanks Family. You make a very good point about airfare. I'll have to do some looking. I don't know what you mean about arguments :rolleyes:. Where would I get my laugh of the day from? Life is too short to get your shorts in a knot. It would be so interesting to meet you on board, but as you "get around" also on many cruises I would talk your ear off about your experiences. For example...do you have one cruise that you would repeat as it was your favorite?

Now that you have finished I'll simply say that is the most complete review I've ever seen on this forum or TripAdvisor. Well done, very informative, kept ones attention, great pictures ........... oh, btw, your BH looks like a fun guy, I'd go have a Mai Tai with him any day, sure we would have a bunch of laughs, maybe on the repeaters cruise. Again, well done :)

Edited by Tikiintahiti

Dear FamilyGoBoston,

Thank you for your detailed review. We enjoyed reading it! We hope to see you back on the m/s Paul Gauguin again soon.

Kind Regards,

Paul Gauguin Cruises

I'm so glad you took the time to read through it! You may have noticed, I didn't come up with much you could make better;) Honestly, it was simply the mosr incredible location and the most relaxing, culturally accessible, cruise I have ever been on. I have resisted the so called luxury cruises because I don't care to dress up, and we simply loved the relaxed but attentive atmosphere on PG. We will absolutely be back!:D

Now that you have finished I'll simply say that is the most complete review I've ever seen on this forum or TripAdvisor. Well done, very informative, kept ones attention, great pictures ........... oh, btw, your BH looks like a fun guy, I'd go have a Mai Tai with him any day, sure we would have a bunch of laughs, maybe on the repeaters cruise. Again, well done :)

Thanks Tiki. That's high praise coming from an expert such as yourself! As for DH, I'm kind of partial to him;) He is a great guy, it's embarrassing actually how well he gets along with anyone he meets. I think part of it is he is totally willing to laugh at himself, and I think that's one of his best features! First Mai tai is on us!

Hi Family,

Regarding luxury cruises - I think Crystal and Silversea are still formal but most others are not. Premium ones arent either. In fact Mainstream cruises now tend to be most formal - others more country club casual. That being said nothing as informal as the PG!

I poke fun of myself more than anybody. When I saw your DH I felt that was the case with him. That's why I know I would get along with him just fine :)

Mai Tai on you guys? Well that's pretty cheap on the PG :D

Why do you think I offered;) Ok we will buy one at the IC for you!

Hi Family,

Regarding luxury cruises - I think Crystal and Silversea are still formal but most others are not. Premium ones arent either. In fact Mainstream cruises now tend to be most formal - others more country club casual. That being said nothing as informal as the PG!

Miriam I am planning to email you for some advice about some of the other lines . I think you've sailed Azamara? Also I am awaiting your Moana review this winter. I like an active, casual cruise and you might have a good sense of that. I just have too much to do before I can start dreaming about the next trip.

• 1 month later...

My DH thanks you for the compliment! You don't have to work too hard to get a sunset of Bora Bora to look spectacular!;).

We enjoyed having our balcony, many afternoons we would sit out there until the sunset. Every afternoon, I would take off my wet bathing suit and put on a robe, and just park in the lounger, while DH took photos till it was too dark to see; then we would shower and go to dinner. Total heaven and one of the reasons I'd recommend a balcony on PG. If one is more social and prefers the company of others and easy access to all the bar tenders have to offer (rather then just the offerings in your minibar) one might prefer to go on deck, as I am in the top photo, near the pool. But we enjoyed the privacy and relaxation of having our own balcony.:D

I also want to extend our thanks to "Familygoboston" for the excellent review. It was particularly useful for us since our cruise on May 18th will be our first PG. I made notes of many many items that you talked about. We will be much better prepared when we begin our trip to FP. :)

Gerry (and Elisabeth)