Review- PG 7 Night Society Islands Oct 2012

Familygoboston

Hi Family;

Just want to say "thank you" for sharing your trip detail, tips and nice pictures.

You are welcome! I enjoy doing it! The pics are all DH's!

Great report and pictures. Yours is definitely the definitive report on the cruise.

Will wait patiently for your report of your future Marquesas/Tuamotu cruise. I definitely see it in your cards - probably with your kids. Got to show them FP.

I think you are right about the flu! Actually I am already planning! We have a big birthday next year and I'd like to go back for that, but realistically, we have other places on the list right now for big trips. As it is I'm already looking at a week long cruise we have booked next year and thinking if we can go at all I may have to change to a 4-5 day trip. It's just too hard to fit in a trip that far with all the kids have going on...but we will see!

Here are the menus- I asked for a copy of the menu the first night and Remy explained they would have them at the end of the cruise. True to his word, there were packets in English and French all ready to go on our last night.

Unfortunately, I had two problems...they weren't labeled by date, and since we ate at both La Verandah and Le Grille, we don't know which night the menus were offered, but we knew 2 were not familiar to us, so we know they were offered those nights. The second problem was that one menu was missing in my packet- we figured it was Day 2 since we ate in L'Etoile that night, but didn't see the food we ate that night anywhere on the menus we have. And third, is that I didn't get a photograph of the Le Grille menu, it was after the Anniversary celebration at la Palette and I had a little (OK, a lot of ) champagne!

The fact that they aren't dated makes me think that they may be flexible about when they are offered, maybe based on availability of ingredients etc. But hopefully, this will give folks an idea of what is offered.

Thanks so much Family!

If you cannot make it next year you can keep the time for the 2014 repeaters cruise - you havent been to the Tuamotus and thats quite different.

Yup - you have the flu no two ways about it!

Thank you so much for sharing your detailed review and amazing photos; I REALLY enjoyed reading every entry! I look forward to getting around to posting my review (one of these days!), so I can relieve those wonderful memories all over again.

I also wanted to respond to an earlier question you directed to Tess regarding the Odyssey yachts:

I have a question for you...we say two cruise yachts with an Odyssey logo on them in port at Papeete. They both had NZ flags, are you familiar with this cruiseline in that area? I haven't heard of them, but one ship looked like a specialty diving boat- v high end, but active and casual. I was wondering about it, and haven't found much on the web.

I'm thinking these might have been the same boats we saw docked near the PG when we returned to Papeete on August 4, though I don't recall their registry. There were two -- the Golden Odyssey and the Golden Shadow. I looked them up when we returned from our cruise, and discovered they're owned by Prince Khaled bin Sultan of Saudia Arabia. Here are details on the Golden Odyssey and a photo: http://www.superyachttimes.com/yachts/details/268/ and here's a nice story about Prince Khaled bin Sultan and how the ships are involved in his Living Oceans Foundation conservation efforts: http://megayachtnews.com/2011/05/prince-khaled-bin-sultan-bin-abdulaziz-living-oceans-foundation

I somehow failed to get a shot of the Golden Odyssey, but I did get a partial shot of the Golden Shadow:

8139978975_fc162d4cdf.jpg

Thank you so much for sharing your detailed review and amazing photos; I REALLY enjoyed reading every entry! I look forward to getting around to posting my review (one of these days!), so I can relieve those wonderful memories all over again.

I also wanted to respond to an earlier question you directed to Tess regarding the Odyssey yachts:

I'm thinking these might have been the same boats we saw docked near the PG when we returned to Papeete on August 4, though I don't recall their registry. There were two -- the Golden Odyssey and the Golden Shadow. I looked them up when we returned from our cruise, and discovered they're owned by Prince Khaled bin Sultan of Saudia Arabia. Here are details on the Golden Odyssey and a photo: http://www.superyachttimes.com/yachts/details/268/ and here's a nice story about Prince Khaled bin Sultan and how the ships are involved in his Living Oceans Foundation conservation efforts: http://megayachtnews.com/2011/05/prince-khaled-bin-sultan-bin-abdulaziz-living-oceans-foundation

I somehow failed to get a shot of the Golden Odyssey, but I did get a partial shot of the Golden Shadow:

8139978975_fc162d4cdf.jpg

Well, you are the one who has read it! ;) Just kidding! I'm glad you liked it! and hope it's helpful to newbies...and fun for repeaters. Certainly, with just one sailing, I can't say that I have any expertise beyond my own experience and all the paper I brought home with me!

So... the Odyssey's...that explains it! Wow!! I never knew about shadow boats- essentially a boat to hold all your toys so your yacht doesn't look cluttery...Wow!! :eek:

Glad to read that the Prince is so generous with the vessel. In my travels, we've been so many places where these incredible homes and vessels sit empty and unused for much of the year. Good for him for finding and funding a good use for it when he doesn't need it!

Thanks for sharing the link and the photo!

Edited by Familygoboston

Thanks again for your detailed review it brings back all the memories from years ago and excitement for our up coming cruise with Coldweathergirl.

You guys will have a great time at your "scent" free table in the dining room;)...have a great time!! And hope you can report back how it went!!

:o I'm glad Escriteur found out for you,I didn't know. Interesting, eh? (pleased to see the photos of these ships too, Escriteur)

What a sensational review,- looks like the definitive version!!- and it's just like being there. So great having all the photos too. Reading it has brought back memories and re-kindled desire to cruise these islands again. We did the 10day in July as our first ever cruise , - which we loved.. I 'm already driving my husband crazy talking about going again in 2013 and 2014. I realise how much time and effort it takes to put your review together so thanks again and I am sure many will benefit from your experience. :)Regards

Tess.

uote=Familygoboston;35939148]Well, you are the one who has read it! ;) Just kidding! I'm glad you liked it! and hope it's helpful to newbies...and fun for repeaters. Certainly, with just one sailing, I can't say that I have any expertise beyond my own experience and all the paper I brought home with me!

So... the Odyssey's...that explains it! Wow!! I never knew about shadow boats- essentially a boat to hold all your toys so your yacht doesn't look cluttery...Wow!! :eek:

Glad to read that the Prince is so generous with the vessel. In my travels, we've been so many places where these incredible homes and vessels sit empty and unused for much of the year. Good for him for finding and funding a good use for it when he doesn't need it!

Thanks for sharing the link and the photo!

WOW! Family, this is a geat review. So much good information. We were on the PG three years ago, and are planning to go back for the "repeaters" cruise - which will be our fifth time in FP. (It's never enough!) Thanks. ( We are from the Boston area also.) Linda

:o I'm glad Escriteur found out for you,I didn't know. Interesting, eh? (pleased to see the photos of these ships too, Escriteur)

What a sensational review,- looks like the definitive version!!- and it's just like being there. So great having all the photos too. Reading it has brought back memories and re-kindled desire to cruise these islands again. We did the 10day in July as our first ever cruise , - which we loved.. I 'm already driving my husband crazy talking about going again in 2013 and 2014. I realise how much time and effort it takes to put your review together so thanks again and I am sure many will benefit from your experience. :)

Thanks Tess! We have our long term plans on hold till our kids figure out what colleges they pan to attend and what those academic calendars look like! But like you, I'm thinking another visit to FP is in the cards!

WOW! Family, this is a geat review. So much good information. We were on the PG three years ago, and are planning to go back for the "repeaters" cruise - which will be our fifth time in FP. (It's never enough!) Thanks. ( We are from the Boston area also.) Linda

5 times! Wow! That's commitment! We met so many people from the west coast ( or even TX and OK), but it's a whole other level of complications trying to get there from the East Coast! That's one of the biggest road blocks for us taking more than a 7 day itinerary!

Thanks for your kind words! Hope you didn't get too blown away this week!

GREAT review!! The pictures were wonderful and brought me back!!! Thank you!

Thanks! I enjoyed your review of the SI And Taumotus! If we can't fit in the repeaters cruise, thats is the one I'd do. It's all the prior reviews that really helped us plan our time in FP and helped make it a great trip! Thank you!

Thanks so much Family. I am taking lots of notes for our Jan. 2013 10 day cruise. You put a lot of hard work and effort posting all your details and wonderful photo's. It is greatly appreciated, Donna

Thanks so much Family. I am taking lots of notes for our Jan. 2013 10 day cruise. You put a lot of hard work and effort posting all your details and wonderful photo's. It is greatly appreciated, Donna

Thanks Donna! Have a great time! After I got home I checked out that 10 day, and would love to take that one!:D

Prior to leaving I remember you mentioning concerns about laundry regarding possible shrinkage. You ended up purchasing the pkg. and glad you did. We also want to travel light. Is there any problem if you ask and keep seperate certain items to hang to dry ?

I can't say it enough as your review is absolutely phenomenal ! Donna

I just reread your review as I love all the details. Another question please Family, if you had an early morning excursion was it appropriate to wear your bathing suite with a nice cover up and your DH with a shirt and his bathing suite to breakfast or would you recommend changing ? Thanks, Donna

Prior to leaving I remember you mentioning concerns about laundry regarding possible shrinkage. You ended up purchasing the pkg. and glad you did. We also want to travel light. Is there any problem if you ask and keep seperate certain items to hang to dry ?

I can't say it enough as your review is absolutely phenomenal ! Donna

Thanks for your kind words Donna!

As for the laundry, we did not request for them to hang thing, but I feel like they check care instructions because we sent some workout clothes that recommend hanging dry rather than dryers, and they came back clean but not damaged, or shrunk in any way. Even my fussy DH sent one of his older work out shirts figuring he wouldn't be out too much if it was ruined, and it was perfect when it came back. My own work out clothes had never looked so good since they were new;) I can't promise this will always be the case, but I felt like the clothes were treated very carefully!

As for breakfast- it was very appropriate for people to be in covered up bathing suits or work out ware in the dining areas at breakfast and lunch. My DH wore his long board shorts with a tee shirt and was fine, I worry a cover up or pareo over and was fine! Most of us were!

Good luck!

Edited by Familygoboston

I would love to do the repeaters cruise, but I don't know if we can get away for that long again anytime soon with young kids. But, I would 100% recommend the Tuamotus if you can get there!! Plus, the 3 extra days are wonderful of course.

Please tell your husband how much I loved his photos, you did a great job covering it all, and I will probably be one of many to return to this review when I need a taste of my favorite place on earth!

I would love to do the repeaters cruise, but I don't know if we can get away for that long again anytime soon with young kids. But, I would 100% recommend the Tuamotus if you can get there!! Plus, the 3 extra days are wonderful of course.

Please tell your husband how much I loved his photos, you did a great job covering it all, and I will probably be one of many to return to this review when I need a taste of my favorite place on earth!

I passed along the message, thanks! I know I am very lucky to have his skill...he most loves to photograph people, and I have the most amazing photos of our children and other relatives.

Thanks so much Family ! Donna

No Problem!:D