Gift for a friend who is cruising?

Tex Gal

My daughter's teacher is taking a cruise on the Crown Princess this Christmas. I was thinking of getting her a soda card for her Christmas present. Is there a way I can pre-purchase that and give it to her or does it have to go on her reservation (ie she has to buy it?)?? Can you think of anything else that might be a nice addition to her first cruise? I had a lanyard on my cruise (Disney cruise - I am not familiar with Princess, yet! LOL) so I thought about getting her one of those as well but I'd love to know what other people think might be a good gift for a new cruiser. Thanks in advance!

The soda card is only worth it if she's a big soda drinker. One gift that can be useful for everyone is onboard credit. That way she can choose what she wants to use it for--even if it's only to help cover tips. The Gift Services catalog is here.

My daughter's teacher is taking a cruise on the Crown Princess this Christmas. I was thinking of getting her a soda card for her Christmas present. Is there a way I can pre-purchase that and give it to her or does it have to go on her reservation (ie she has to buy it?)?? Can you think of anything else that might be a nice addition to her first cruise? I had a lanyard on my cruise (Disney cruise - I am not familiar with Princess, yet! LOL) so I thought about getting her one of those as well but I'd love to know what other people think might be a good gift for a new cruiser. Thanks in advance!

I "gifted" myself with prepaid gratuities, internet and excursions. You'll need to know her cruise information if you use the form the previous poster directed you too. You can also do a coffee card if you know she drinks coffee.

Buy a plain canvas tote and iron on a design about her cruise-- like the ship name, a picture of the ship, and the date. Then fill the tote with things useful for a new cruiser: a power strip, a battery-powered travel alarm, an over-the-door shoe bag (for storing miscellaneous items)... I'm sure you could think of more.

(For what it's worth, I *tried* to start a business selling such "cruise kits," but I couldn't get enough orders to make it worthwhile. Matter of fact, the link in my signature goes to cruise-related articles I've written, and if you scroll through them, one or two talk about those cruise kits and what was in them.)

Buy a plain canvas tote and iron on a design about her cruise-- like the ship name, a picture of the ship, and the date. Then fill the tote with things useful for a new cruiser: a power strip, a battery-powered travel alarm, an over-the-door shoe bag (for storing miscellaneous items)... I'm sure you could think of more.

(For what it's worth, I *tried* to start a business selling such "cruise kits," but I couldn't get enough orders to make it worthwhile. Matter of fact, the link in my signature goes to cruise-related articles I've written, and if you scroll through them, one or two talk about those cruise kits and what was in them.)

What a great idea!

You can call Princess to pre-cruise purchase this for her. At the least you must know her name, the ship's name, and the date of the sailing. The Princess rep should be able to look up the reservation with that information.

As an alternative, you could purchase a dinner for her in one of the Specialty restaurants, the Crown Grill for steaks/seafood (I think the fee is $25/person) or Sabatini's for Nortehrn Italian food (I think the fee is $20/person).

The soda card is only worth it if she's a big soda drinker. One gift that can be useful for everyone is onboard credit. That way she can choose what she wants to use it for--even if it's only to help cover tips. The Gift Services catalog is here.

Its the thought that counts!! ;)

Its the thought that counts!! ;)

With all due respect, no it's not.

If I'm going to give someone a gift, I want to give them something they'll use. While I have never heard of giving teachers gifts (that was against the rules when I was in school), the fact is that you probably don't know your kid's teacher well enough to know what they like/don't like. Which means money, as in OBC, is the perfect gift. Unless you know for a fact that the teacher loves soda or definitely plans on eating in the specialty restaurants (maybe they're a vegetarian?) or drinks coffee . . . see, it's a minefield. Go with the OBC.

With all due respect, no it's not.

If I'm going to give someone a gift, I want to give them something they'll use. While I have never heard of giving teachers gifts (that was against the rules when I was in school), the fact is that you probably don't know your kid's teacher well enough to know what they like/don't like. Which means money, as in OBC, is the perfect gift. Unless you know for a fact that the teacher loves soda or definitely plans on eating in the specialty restaurants (maybe they're a vegetarian?) or drinks coffee . . . see, it's a minefield. Go with the OBC.

Now it sounds like bribing a gov't official. :eek:

Since you titled this thread about a gift for a friend cruising do you know what they may like? If so then I'd suggest a gift like a nice bottle of wine that I gave to friends on their 1st cruise or any other type of gifts suggested by others. If you don't know them that well, then a gift of onboard credit would probably be your best option. Either way I'm sure they'll be very appreciative for you thinking about them.

Thanks for your responses! I know she drinks sodas so I think I am going to go that route along with a lanyard. I think I will present her with cash in the amount of the drink card... unless I can get my other friend to help me out. Thanks again for your responses! :)

Thanks for your responses! I know she drinks sodas so I think I am going to go that route along with a lanyard. I think I will present her with cash in the amount of the drink card... unless I can get my other friend to help me out. Thanks again for your responses! :)

I figured as much! :D

No need to talk you out of it. :eek:

You can order the soda sticker pre-cruise as a gift for her. Just call Princess to do so.

I always prepurchase my soda sticker, then it is already attached to my cruise card and I can use it right away!

Archived