Panama Canal tour advice

Everglades

I'm booked on the Island Princess Dec. 20 cruise out of FLL, which is a partial transit (Gatun locks only) of the Panama Canal. Having read Path Between the Seas, I'm excited to see the canal firsthand. I'd appreciate advice from veterans as to the best way to see the rest of the canal- boat tour or railroad, or something else?

I have done the full canal by tour boat and can recommend it.

It is also offered by independent agents.

On Princess for the partial tour you can only disembark for an excursion if it is a Princess tour. They let you out while you are in Gatun Lake. and ten you will return from your tour by bus to Colon to rejoin the ship.

I too would recommend the tour by boat. It's a great way to experience the canal first hand. We did the partial canal cruise on the Coral and took this excursion. Just be aware... the lunch offered is "not so great" and it's a long day.... pack some snacks. They provide drinks. Also, it is a long bus ride back to the ship. But I am not sorry we did it!

Here's a review from October 2009. The poster also did the 10 day partical transit on the Island Princess. It's detailed and has lots of pictures. Even thought it's a bit older post, you will get a feel for what it's like. :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1080738&highlight=panama+canhttp://mysite.verizon.net/res76zxu/princessbalconies/id6.htmlal+review

As stated by the others, the Panama Canal Excursion by boat tour is the best way to go. A little pricey but worth every penny. The ride back is definitely unexciting. No regrets here whatsoever.
I agree. I was just on the Island Princess for my 4th Canal cruise. It was the first time I've taken the ferry tour going through the locks. You definitely get up close and personal. This was the best tour I've taken in the Canal.

I also agree with Bill re: the train ride. Only one side of the train really sees anything and even then, there's so much foliage that you can't see much. If you're on the "wrong" side of the train, it's hard to take photos during the few glimpses since those at the Canal side are standing up and blocking most of the view. I thought it was a nice train ride but way overpriced for the few glimpses and almost no photo-op. The best photos I took were from our stop at the Miraflores locks viewing platforms.

I'm booked on the Island Princess Dec. 20 cruise out of FLL, which is a partial transit (Gatun locks only) of the Panama Canal. Having read Path Between the Seas, I'm excited to see the canal firsthand. I'd appreciate advice from veterans as to the best way to see the rest of the canal- boat tour or railroad, or something else?

Back in the 1990's I did the transit from Florida to San Fransico for 17 days and I believe Princess gave me the book...Pathway between the Seas.A great read on the complete undertaking of the building of the Panama Canal.It made the transit so much more enjoyable.:)

On the small boat ask the pilot about the dent in the Miraflores lock.....

they won't tell you which pilot caused it.

By the way, our boat had unlimited soft drinks and some packaged snacks included.

Just finished Canal cruise on Celebrity last week we did the train trip if you are on the right side of the train the view is ok of the canal but you also come back on the train and the view can be blocked by foliage. We thought the train trip was extremely over priced the lunch was a box with a couple of snacks in it. Very poor we paid $164 each go with boat trip that way you will get to experience what most full transit people experience.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe you are on what is called a partial transit cruise? Basically it is a round trip out of Florida and the ship only enters Gatun Locks and exits them, later docking in Colon. That being the case, once the ship reaches Gatun Lake after leaving Gatun Locks you can only take ship's excursions at this stop.... no independent tours at all. There are a lot of great tours here, but if you are looking to maximize your exposure to the Canal itself, the Panama Canal & Locks Transit by Boat (PC1-615) would be the tour to select.

Thank you so much for your help. We'll definitely choose the boat tour with Princess.

I would appreciate any other suggestions about the ports on this cruise.

Thanks again.

As far as suggestions for the other ports, it's really more of what you would like to do. Since the Canal is taken care, you can sort of lump the other stops into some loose categories. Aruba and Grand Cayman are going to have the beach/water type activities as the larger attractions. Colombia and Costa Rica, your largest choices would be more in the history and sightseeing excursions. Colombia would be skewed more towards history... Spanish fortifications and Inquisition, the walled city and La Popa Monastery. Costa Rica would take you in the sightseeing and nature type excursions. No bad choices... just whatever you are interested in:).

• 3 weeks later...
I have done the full canal by tour boat and can recommend it.

It is also offered by independent agents.

We are going with Celebrity in April on a full transit. The Canal excursion by ferry is most interesting. Anyone have experience with private tours?

• 1 month later...
I too would recommend the tour by boat. It's a great way to experience the canal first hand. We did the partial canal cruise on the Coral and took this excursion. Just be aware... the lunch offered is "not so great" and it's a long day.... pack some snacks. They provide drinks. Also, it is a long bus ride back to the ship. But I am not sorry we did it!

Can someone please tell me about how long the bus ride is back to the ship and if the bus is cramped or has a bathroom available?

Can someone please tell me about how long the bus ride is back to the ship and if the bus is cramped or has a bathroom available?

We did this tour on Christmas Day, 2012. It's about 50 miles back to the ship, and it took probably 90 minutes. It's a nice interstate highway the entire way. The bus was a modern touring bus, just as nice as anything you'd find in the states. Not sure if it had a bathroom. The ferry had a nice enough bathroom. They must have improved the food since the earlier posts, because we had all we wanted to eat. It's a long day, but certainly worth doing once. If you can read up on the canal before the tour it will really enhance the experience. McCollum's Path Between the Seas is the gold standard. Hope you enjoy it.

We have been through the canal four times and, actually, I suggest for your first transit to just stay on your cruise ship. It is a wonderful experience and most ships have interesting commentary and it's also not an extra charge. If you've done the canal transit before, then the boat trips are a great thing.

Archived