Wine Permitted to Carry Onboard Now

gw2fll

Hi

Question on bringing wine into dining room without getting charged a corking fee..

Does anyone know if you are allowed to bring wine in a soda tumbler in the dining room. I would pour the wine into the soda tumbler and bring it with me to the dining room.. I am assuming that there might be a problem if I pour that into a glass during the dinner..

Thanks

you can bring a glass in with you no problem, regardless of where you get it.. but even I, who can kill a bottle by myself woudl NEVER bring a juice glass full of wine. in my personal opinion that's just ridiculous

Just talked to RCI, there is no bottle size specified, I personally think this may change but at this point that is what she told me.

since it is pretty well a given that 99% of anyone who takes advantage of this will stick to 'normal' bottles, I don't think there will be too much abuse even if they do place an official limit.

Hi

Question on bringing wine into dining room without getting charged a corking fee..

Does anyone know if you are allowed to bring wine in a soda tumbler in the dining room. I would pour the wine into the soda tumbler and bring it with me to the dining room.. I am assuming that there might be a problem if I pour that into a glass during the dinner..

Would they allow that Soda tumbler into the dining room if I have wine it.

I know I have brought many times my own can of soda in the dining room and poured that in a glass without any problems..

Thanks

IMO thats kinda tacky. i would put it in a wine glass and walk in with that.

Would they allow that Soda tumbler into the dining room if I have wine it.

We did this with another cruise line that had corkage fee only if you ask the waiter to open your bottle... The waiter assistant wondered out loud, talking to the waiter, if he should take the empty plastic cups off the table and toss, or wash, or what :D

You can bring any tumbler with you, only keep an eye on it if you don't want it to disappear off the table :eek:

HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY

I know it sounds crazy, but I always appreciated Princess treating me like an adult and allowing to bring on a bottle of wine or two.

I do enjoy having a bottle of wine in the cabin. I typically order a bottle or two to be delivered to the stateroom before I board. Depending on how my supply is, on the last night or two, I'll take a glass into the dining room with me and never had an issue.

The room steward will provide you glasses and a corkscrew (although I have a corkscrew in every one of my suit cases that stays there...I've been stuck in too many hotel rooms with a bottle of wine and no corkscrew, never again!).

I'm not too concerned on how they keep track, etc. Most other lines have this same policy as does Celebrity. I doubt too many people abuse it. While it may lower their pre-boarding orders, I don't think this will really impact many bar bills. I can assure you mine are still very high. Who wants to go back and forth to their room for a glass of wine? I still order at the bar, but enjoy the wine as I'm getting ready for dinner or a post activities drink from my room.

I couldn't agree more with the poster that wrote "About Frickin Time!" Isn't that the truth!! Great News Royal Caribbean! Way to go!!

Oh yeah....now how do I go about canceling the bottles I pre-ordered from myself and my sisters room in November! I guess we'll have extra! LOL

Edited by reney313

do you have any idea how difficult it is to cork a bottle?! or how expensive the machine is to accomplish said task?

As a home winemaker who has bottled over a thousand wine bottles, the answers are:

1) very easy with right tool

2) about $20

Edited by publicpersona

So HAPPY to hear they changed the policy, but we were a week early for it to help us! :( We took 2 bottles, but they took it from us at the port, but we got it back on the last night of the cruise :D now we won't have to worry about it for our next cruise, YEA! We also like to just have it in our cabin, & sometimes just take a glass with us to dinner, but then buy some also at the table. Glad to see they are allowing it now like all the other ships we've been on. :)

So RCI may be making life quite difficult for themselves. If they don't indicate carry-on v checked bags in the policy then people will of course try to bring bottles on board both in their carry-on and checked bags. Unless there is some kind of mechanism whereby they record at checkin/boarding that you have already brought on board your allowance how on earth will they be able to check?! Of course for those flying in to join the ship there really is little choice but to have it in checked baggage.

So we could be looking at 4 bottles/cabin. Hah.

Actually, 2 in my carryon, 2 in my checked bag, 2 in my patner's carryon, and 2 in his checked bag=8 total bottles....if someone really wanted that much...

Fellow cruiser just posted on rollcall that Royal has changed its policy and you can now carry two bottles of wine onboard ship for consumption. Subject to a corkage fee of $25 each.

Called RCCL and agent confirmed, policy change went into effect today.

Why bring a bottle on board, 3 glass of wine per bottle (approx.) @ $6.00/$7.00 glass.( I drink the cheaper wines) Your still NOT ahead of the game!!!:confused::(:eek:

I'm just buying mine on board, you get more for the buck!

Am I missing something here?? :confused:

Why bring a bottle on board, 3 glass of wine per bottle (approx.) @ $6.00/$7.00 glass.( I drink the cheaper wines) Your still NOT ahead of the game!!!:confused::(:eek:

For a 750ml you should get 4-5 glasses, by filling just half the glass. ;) Sometimes more depending on the glass. You can find some very good wines at very good prices.

I am an Aussie, and here the standard serve of wine is 150mL. So, my maths goes a little something like this.... 750mL bottle, 5 glasses, say I pay $10 for a bottle at the liquor store, then that's $2 per glass. Sounds like a good deal to me :D

Great news! Anyone know where I can buy wine near the Sydney port?

Closest one I'm aware of is Vintage Cellars, on Carrington Street. It's opposite Wynyard station, next to the Menzies hotel. I am not from Syndey so there may well be a closer one....

Hopefully the new rule will apply in Australia *fingers crossed*

I like the way you think Benbea. Why lug bottles around when you are on holiday. Cheers:)

Closest one I'm aware of is Vintage Cellars, on Carrington Street. It's opposite Wynyard station, next to the Menzies hotel. I am not from Syndey so there may well be a closer one....

Hopefully the new rule will apply in Australia *fingers crossed*

Wine Odyssey in the Rocks is right up the street from Circular Quay. They have all Australian wines. And the restaurant has one of those put in your card and sample away, we'll charge you later setups, with about 100 wines to try. :eek::D And the lamb tangine is out of this world.

There's also a Cole's supermarket in the business district, near the Westin. They had a nice selection of more "ordinary" wines.

You can see we had our priorities in order when we visited.:D

Actually, 2 in my carryon, 2 in my checked bag, 2 in my patner's carryon, and 2 in his checked bag=8 total bottles....if someone really wanted that much...

With me in is not how much, it is the wine I like that would cost 3 times the amount on board. Sure others feel the same way;)