LIVE - Caribbean Princess Nov. 2, 2012 not the Oct 31

compozer

Good morning,

WE MADE IT!!! We just passed the Statue of Liberty and are very happy to see lots of lights on. From the reports we heard, we were afraid everything would be dark. Hope the power is back on for everyone. Our thoughts and prayers are with all the families in Sandy's path. Doesn't seem right that we are getting prepared to go on a vacation when so many are going thru this disaster.

We received a letter last night saying we are suppose to meet at 10:50 to go thru customs. I thought it might be delayed so this is good news.

Looking forward to meeting our new friends that will be joining us today.

The Good Sandy

There also does not seem to be any lights on in the buildings around the port. Not sure if it is too early in the morning or if the power is still off.

We aren't sure if we will go ashore for a while. Does anyone know if there is anything in this neighborhood? or a good map of the area?

thanks

Compozer,

I had to laugh when I saw the "Good Sandy" signature. Funny story; my sister who works part time at a Home Depot in Connecticut. Last weekend it was obviously mobbed by crazy people looking for batteries, generators, etc.

When they would see her nametag "Sandy" they would crack a smile and say thngs like "So, this is all your fault", etc. It made a busy tough day go by fast for her and added some levity to a tough situation.

Unfortunately she is still without power.

I'm so sorry for your sister and my heart goes out to everyone in the same situation. I got the same thing - "so it's your fault"!

Yesterday, many people were saying there was a lot to do around the cruise port. I think people, like us, just want to get outside for a while since the weather has been lousy and we have so many sea days coming up.

No announcement yet regarding disembarking.

There also does not seem to be any lights on in the buildings around the port. Not sure if it is too early in the morning or if the power is still off.

We aren't sure if we will go ashore for a while. Does anyone know if there is anything in this neighborhood? or a good map of the area?

thanks

Welcome Back! If you are at pier 88, it is approx. 48th St. near the Intrepid. There is not much around the pier but if you walk straight

across from the ship you can walk about 1/2 mile (long blocks) to Rockefeller Center, etc. Times Square is 42nd St. Here is a pdf street map....hope you can view it: http://www.nyc.com/visitor_guide/pdf/manhattan.pdf

if not here is the site -put dots where the spaces are:

www nyc com/visitor_guide/pdf/manhattan.pdf

Have fun!

That's funny - I like the "Good Sandy" signature. I too am a Sandy (even though my cruise critic name makes it seem like I am Sally), but somehow my brain just can't remember that my name is the same as the hurricane. So every time someone says "hey, you must be tired of the jokes" it takes me a minute to figure out what they are talking about!

Hope you have a chance to look around and stretch your legs -thanks for posting.

Compozer,

I don't blame you for wanting to get off the ship for awhile, especially if you've never been to New York city. Most of the power outages are in the lower half of Manhattan, below 39th St. However, I'm sure there are spotty outages above that area and some traffic lights out. Just be careful crossing the streets if you do decide to venture into the city. I live here and have not heard of any widespread looting or fighting....only one or 2 cases which I don't think were even in Manhattan?

You can always just get off the ship and walk to the Intrepid pier...I'm sure you can see it from the ship. The museum itself may not be open but the pier should be. Have a wonderful time on the next voyage!

my wife and i have been staying at park central hotel for the last couple of days waiting for cb. trust me when i say everything is safe if you get of ship. we actually walked down to pier from 7th ave yesterday. very nice walk and safe. new yorkers are very nice, get off ship spend some money, that will help them in the best way.

Compozer,

I don't blame you for wanting to get off the ship for awhile, especially if you've never been to New York city. Most of the power outages are in the lower half of Manhattan, below 39th St. However, I'm sure there are spotty outages above that area and some traffic lights out. Just be careful crossing the streets if you do decide to venture into the city. I live here and have not heard of any widespread looting or fighting....only one or 2 cases which I don't think were even in Manhattan?

You can always just get off the ship and walk to the Intrepid pier...I'm sure you can see it from the ship. The museum itself may not be open but the pier should be. Have a wonderful time on the next voyage!

LOL, just reread my post and I guess it sounded a little "panicky", forgot most of the chaos is in lower Manhatten. And, I forgot that live reports are usually better, and more different, from our beloved media. Guess lots of the fighting is at gas stations in some of the other boroughs.

If I was there I'd wander around that great city myself. As you said, I'd just be extra careful.

Enjoy that cruise!

I'm so sorry for your sister and my heart goes out to everyone in the same situation. I got the same thing - "so it's your fault"!

Yesterday, many people were saying there was a lot to do around the cruise port. I think people, like us, just want to get outside for a while since the weather has been lousy and we have so many sea days coming up.

No announcement yet regarding disembarking.

From one Sandy to another ....have a great day in New York! You are probably at less risk of people behaving badly in New York than some of your soon to be cruisemates. Apparently a small group on facebook feel that Princess has ripped them off and needs turn the next leg back into a 10 day trip.....I guess Princess is just being unreasonable by not adjusting the cruise dates of every other cruise after their's:rolleyes:. The good news...the weather in Florida and the Caribean is awesome the next 7days!

Thanks for all the good wishes and help.

We are sitting by the Crown Grill waiting to go thru. Customs but, as usual, some people are taking their time

Everyone wants to know about the future cruise credits and were just told that it will take until next Tuesday or Wednesday until they have everything organized

And will be able to tell anyone anything.

Ok

We made it thru customs- Didn't really even look at anything.

No power- huge generators

No heat and most of us did not wear coats but it isn't really bad.

So now again this is the fault of Princess.

It is hard for people having to walk up stairs but there is lots of help from the staff.

No idea when we can get back on the ship.

Most people around us are in a good mood

Ok

We made it thru customs- Didn't really even look at anything.

No power- huge generators

No heat and most of us did not wear coats but it isn't really bad.

So now again this is the fault of Princess.

It is hard for people having to walk up stairs but there is lots of help from the staff.

No idea when we can get back on the ship.

Most people around us are in a good mood

The good Sandy - LOVE IT! :)

It was wonderful to meet you - have a wonderful trip to my hometown! Dwight and Celeste decided to stay on til Fort Lauderdale...wish I could have stayed on too - damn job!!! :)

See you on a future cruise....

Just an update.

We decided to take a little walk in the fresh air after lunch BUT after making our way close to the front doors we changed our minds. The lines are so long at security that we didn't think it was worth it. It's cloudy and cold out - can't wait for some warm sunshine.

Poor customer service - they have had huge lines every time we have passed by. I imagine people want to know when they will get their credit.

I mentioned it on another thread - it will take Princess until next Tuesday or Wednesday to start issuing the credits.

My friend who is on your sailing texted me that she is on the Princess bus from Newark Airport and there is LOTS of traffic...based on what you said Compozer I texted her to expect slow embarkation, long lines and few porters. But soon you will be on a great, long anticipated cruise. Bon Voyage!!!

sunsetbeachgal,

I just took a walk and not as many people are coming in so I would imagine the lines have shorten by now. The rush is probably over. I bet they will be able to walk write on. Text her back - hate to see her worry any more than she probably has.

Sandy, thank you for continuing to keep us up to date. We will continue to follow you throughout this portion of the cruise. Enjoy your shortened cruise...know with your attitude you will. Hope not to many gritchers boarding today.

Archived