Tux vs. Suit - Reviving an old topic

pat767

I always take and wear my tux but if I didn't own one I'd have no problem taking one of my dark suits in its place. I bought my tux years ago for the formal requirements of my job and once it wears out I probably won't buy another, certainly not just to have one on a cruise.

Absolutely! I wear a suit daily on my job and wear cufflinks most of the time. I think they give a suit a polished, elegant look. Keep in mind, you will need a shirt with French cuffs to wear cufflinks. They don't work with a normal button cuff shirt.

Thanks for the tip! :)

We just returned from 10 nt Panama Canal on Zuiderdam. I pack a black tux jacket, white dinner jacket, tux pants. Also had two blazers for smart casual nights (I wear one on the plane to save weight) and can easily meet the 50 lb airline limit.

If you will use it again, Tuxes can be had very reasonably from on-line retailers. A different cumberbund/tie for the other nights.

Agree with other posters that dressing up makes the evening more special. For a casual cruise, go NCL.

On this cruise we had a bunch wearing penguin costumes. They thought they were funny. Most people did not.

Where on a HAL ship can take out chicken wings be found? I don't think I've ever seen chicken wings on a HAL ship.

If a suit is folded properly, it takes up about as much room as a shirt. Tuck one shoulder into the other shoulder, put the bulky part of the suit into a corner of the suitcase and you are done.

Cufflinks only go with french cuffs. Glad someone mentioned that.

Have your suit altered in plenty of time for your trip. :D

Where on a HAL ship can take out chicken wings be found? I don't think I've ever seen chicken wings on a HAL ship.

If a suit is folded properly, it takes up about as much room as a shirt. Tuck one shoulder into the other shoulder, put the bulky part of the suit into a corner of the suitcase and you are done.

Cufflinks only go with french cuffs. Glad someone mentioned that.

Have your suit altered in plenty of time for your trip. :D

Just off the Westerdam for 30 days--one day they had hot spicy chicken wings in the LIDO for lunch.:)

BG

I purchased my tux several years ago. I have a tendency to suck in my gut and stand a little straighter when I wear my tux. I don't mind it; however, I do have some fun with some BOLD accessories.

Side story:

The other day, my supervisor 'encouraged' me to dress up for Halloween. So I did...I wore my tux!

Jim

Turns out that both suits I had in my closet are beyond altering. Guess I took on more weight than I thought.

So, Formal Wear Rentals it will be! (tux)

I LOVE men in a tux.

So handsome, and makes for a very romantic evening.

I dress for DH and he dresses for me.

Alot of tuxes this last cruise, on the Eurodam.

Thre room service on HAL is great. Steak Sandwich & Club? Awesome!

LOVE cuff links.

Turns out that both suits I had in my closet are beyond altering. Guess I took on more weight than I thought.

So, Formal Wear Rentals it will be! (tux)

I remember my husband trying on old suits and saying, "#$%^ cleaners!" Strange things happen when you don't have to wear a suit to work every day. BTW, he rented a tux on a cruise several years ago, and looked wonderful. It showed up in the closet when we checked in, and left the last day. And it fit.

So, Formal Wear Rentals it will be! (tux)[/quote

Several of our roll call members did that on the Nieuw amsterdam and they were all striking to say the least -less baggage - less worries - why not?

Wish I could talk DH into it:D You'll be fantastic I'm sure:D

I've often wondered about the various formal dress options for men on Formal Nights in the MDR, specifically for serving members of the military and/or law enforcement.

If a gentleman has a "Ceremonial" or "Dress" uniform available to them as part of their duties as an police, corrections, military or other type of officer, what would be the protocols for the use of such a uniform on a Formal Night? (Barring any specific restrictions by that officer's agency on the use of the uniform outside work-related duties, of course).

I've yet to see an officer in uniform on a HAL cruise (well, to be fair, I've only done one so far :p ), but this question has always been on my mind.

Are there maritime regulations covering this?

I've often wondered about the various formal dress options for men on Formal Nights in the MDR, specifically for serving members of the military and/or law enforcement.

If a gentleman has a "Ceremonial" or "Dress" uniform available to them as part of their duties as an police, corrections, military or other type of officer, what would be the protocols for the use of such a uniform on a Formal Night? (Barring any specific restrictions by that officer's agency on the use of the uniform outside work-related duties, of course).

I've yet to see an officer in uniform on a HAL cruise (well, to be fair, I've only done one so far :p ), but this question has always been on my mind.

Are there maritime regulations covering this?

The department I am most familiar with permits wearing of ceremonial uniform when invited to do so by the host or host agency. Usually an invitation to a formal event will also specify if full sized medals, or decorations should be worn. That said, I seriously doubt anyone would even think to pack their ceremonial uniform on a cruise unless requested to do so.

That leads me to surmise that with no host, and no formal invitation I suspect the only ceremonial uniforms ever seen on a cruise ship would be worn by the cruise ship's officers.

Some military, corrections, and police forces allow their members to be wed in uniform. So maybe some folks have packed their kit onboard for their "at sea" nuptuals.

If cruisers could be convinced/allowed to wear their ceremonial uniform on formal nights it would sure add some color to the evening and give people

more opportunities for conversation.

Uniformed members (I'm thinking of some police forces for sure) may be deemed "On Duty" when in uniform so I think that could be a deal breaker in itself. Then there's the question of weapons which are a part of some agencies ceremonial uniform. (another big no no on a cruise ship)

For anyone seriously thinking about doing this, if your not sure, check with your departments S/M, C.O., Vets Assoc.,or whoever in your organization can give you uniform and dress policy advice. My best guess is they'll tell you that your daft for even considering it.

A sign of the times, many uniformed members though very proud, do not like to wear their uniform for any ocassion anymore.

Spamwhiches

Thanks for the reply, Spamwhiches.... I'm pretty sure you're correct on all points.

The agency that I'm most familiar with has two different "levels" of dress: full ceremonial (with regalia, for memorial events & officer funerals), and standard dress uniform (without regalia, for occasions such as court appearances, and private family events such as weddings).

On a cruise ship, without being invited in an official capacity (i.e. for work-related reasons), I can definitely see why it would be inappropriate. Although as you say, it *would* add more colour, pomp and circumstance to the formal nights..... :D It would give us all a chance, if nothing else, to express our appreciation for our men & women in uniform - something that we need to do more of, IMHO (especially in my neck of the woods).

Ultimately though, even though it's a dress uniform, it's a *work* uniform, and the reason all of us are on the ship in the first place is to *get away* from work! (I hope!) :D

Archived