NCL Drink Etiquette

xxxyyz

We are first time cruisers and are booked on the Dec 9 sailing of the Pearl. It's our 25th Anniversary so this will be something very different for us.

I'm really trying to figure out the drink situation on board which seems very complicated -- plus a real opportunity for NCL to soak you right and left. We are not big drinkers of alcohol though we may have a glass of wine with dinner on rare occasions and may have a cocktail if the price is not too high. $10/drink is usually the limit. Plus we do not care for Pepsi products. So I have a few (well, more than a few) questions:

1. I don't drink coffee or tea and really like juices in the morning. I hate the Tang-like products. Is that all I expect on board. If they offer "real" OJ at a premium, how much are they charging?

2. What juices do they offer in addition to OJ?

3. Is it appropriate to fill a few bottles of juice or juice-like liquids to take back to our cabin? Can they be brought out later to drink in public areas?

4. We are planning to pack some Coke products or other diet drinks with us. Do you recommend cans rather than bottles? Would a 24 pack be a reasonable amount to bring?

5. Sounds like it might make sense to bring our own juices as well. Is that really necessary?

6. How uncool would it be to bring our own sodas to lunch or dinner in the MDRs? To a specialty restaurant?

7. To save money, we hope not to have to bring our own bottled water. I understand that the tap water on board is fine, right?

8. What is the access to ice? Small ice bucket in the room? Is self-service ice readily available in the dining areas or elsewhere on board?

9. I understand that drink service is very slow in the dining areas. Is there a way we can get our own ice water?

10. Are lemons and limes freely available? You know where I'm going here.

11. How much pressure is there to buy drinks in dining areas? Elsewhere?

12. What opportunities should we look out for for special deals on wine or cocktails?

See my responses below. It's really not that complicated. No need to overthink the drinking situation, really.

We are first time cruisers and are booked on the Dec 9 sailing of the Pearl. It's our 25th Anniversary so this will be something very different for us.

I'm really trying to figure out the drink situation on board which seems very complicated -- plus a real opportunity for NCL to soak you right and left. We are not big drinkers of alcohol though we may have a glass of wine with dinner on rare occasions and may have a cocktail if the price is not too high. $10/drink is usually the limit. Plus we do not care for Pepsi products. So I have a few (well, more than a few) questions:

1. I don't drink coffee or tea and really like juices in the morning. I hate the Tang-like products. Is that all I expect on board. If they offer "real" OJ at a premium, how much are they charging?

The jewel offered fresh OJ, and as the sister ship I would guess the Pearl is the same. Since I drink coffee I didn't check the price.

2. What juices do they offer in addition to OJ?

I just saw OJ, but like I said, in the morning I was all about the coffee. The free "OJ" was fine for me when I wanted it. It was more like "sunny delight" than it was "tang" or an orange drink. Most thought it was real OJ. There are also flavored waters during the day available in drink dispensers. I found them to be a nice change from tea and water sometimes.

3. Is it appropriate to fill a few bottles of juice or juice-like liquids to take back to our cabin? Can they be brought out later to drink in public areas?

I've never seen anyone do that, but I don't think there's anything stopping you. They do request that you fill any personal containers using a glass and not putting your bottles up against dispensers

4. We are planning to pack some Coke products or other diet drinks with us. Do you recommend cans rather than bottles? Would a 24 pack be a reasonable amount to bring?

Cans. The amount you bring is up to you. I find taking any amount of soda or water onboard unreasonable because for me the hassle outweighs the benefit (i'm fine with water 90% of the time).

5. Sounds like it might make sense to bring our own juices as well. Is that really necessary?

Depends on how much juice you drink and how important it is for you to have 100% real juice. Again, I think people make way too much of this. There are plenty of things to drink of the ship, and I can't imagine someone not finding something to their liking. That's just me.

6. How uncool would it be to bring our own sodas to lunch or dinner in the MDRs? To a specialty restaurant?

Some here will tell you that it's no problem. I've seen it done, and nobody bats an eye, especially if you are addicted to soda and don't like Pepsi products. I wouldn't do it, but as you can tell, I'm not that picky about what I drink.

7. To save money, we hope not to have to bring our own bottled water. I understand that the tap water on board is fine, right?

The tap water is more pure than what you can bring on in bottles. It's purified on board. You may want to bring a bottle to fill. Remember, use a glass to fill it. Don't put it up to the water dispensers. There are signs about this too.

8. What is the access to ice? Small ice bucket in the room? Is self-service ice readily available in the dining areas or elsewhere on board?

You'll get ice every day in your room. You can ask for two if you want. There is always ice available in the Garden Cafe if you run out.

9. I understand that drink service is very slow in the dining areas. Is there a way we can get our own ice water?

In the buffet you get your own. In the restaurants we've never had to wait for water. They generally bring it when you sit down just like any other restaurant

10. Are lemons and limes freely available? You know where I'm going here.

lemons, yes. Not sure I saw limes, although you can get them at any bar

11. How much pressure is there to buy drinks in dining areas? Elsewhere?

You will be approached on the pool deck by bar waiters. No pressure at all in the dining areas. They're no different than a restaurant.

12. What opportunities should we look out for for special deals on wine or cocktails?

There are "drinks of the day" and 6 for the price of 5 beer buckets. There are also martini tastings and sometimes margarita and beer tastings that are a good deal at $15 for the amount you get. There are also tastings in the gift shop at least once on the trip

We always order extra juices from room service in the morning. (OJ, tomato and another IIRC) They come in a glass with clingfilm on and we put the spares in the fridge for later. The OJ is OK from my PoV (no vodka but hey-ho you can't have everything!)

See my responses below. It's really not that complicated. No need to overthink the drinking situation, really.

I follow SDMIKE all the time and he knows his stuff, trust what he says. I thought the OJ was more like regular OJ than Sunny D. I also encountered a sweetish apple juice on all my NCL Ships at Breakfast.

Your overthinking a minor issue. The flavored waters are also quite good and they usually have 3 going. You can always save a drink glass, Wash it out and fill it with your favorite beverage before going to dining room.

Again don't overthink this...the amount of money you would save would be less than the stressful methods to save it.

They also have a fresh juice bar in the buffet at breakfast where you can get them to make a juice of your choice, if you're keen to have freshly squeezed juice-very nice and not overly expensive.

I ordered a carrot/celery/ginger one each morning.:)

Yes, coldferret I did join the Roll Call. Such a great idea! Just dipping my toe into the cruising universe. Wonderful folks.

Thanks for the great advice, everyone -- especially SDMike for responding to all 12 questions ! Definitely feeling more relaxed about it all.

The OJ seems real in the MDR. I know in the suites, they have fresh squeezed OJ for a price of $3.50 or something like that. I cant remember if that option is also in the MDR but I think it is.

For breakfast in the MDR and the buffet, the only downer is for scrambled eggs they use some sort of egg beaters or almost powdered eggs. But the omelets use real eggs :)

We always take two 12 packs of Diet Pepsi on board. My wife needs that stuff like I need my coffee. OJ...appears fresh in the MDR, probably concentrate out of the machines elsewhere...but not bad in my opinion. No pressure what so ever to buy drinks. You wil be politely asked if you want one. As someone already said, sit donw in a MDR or speciality restaurant and you can count on geting water very quickly. My wife seldom leave the cabin without a Diet Pepsi in her hand. She doesn't hesitate to take one to the MDR with her for breakfast or lunch. Don't believe she has for dinner though although no one would care at all. Ice is considered an element with high potential for transmitting germs. Therefore only ship personnel can handle it until it is in a container for you...but all you want is available. We have before taken a small cooler and asked the room attendant to keep it filled. They did. Ice didn't melt as fast as in the standard room ice container.

• 4 weeks later...

If you have any concerns about water (I'm extremely sensitive to off tastes, smells, etc.), bring along a Brita water filter pitcher. You can pack it in a suitcase - just put socks, etc., in it so you don't completely lose the space. Or bring along one of their filtering water bottles - you can get them in pairs at Target. They work great.

Archived