Best for Children

eliana

Depending on the kid's ages, any of the mass-market lines are fine for kids! Carnival, NCL (the most casual lines), RCI, Disney....all have lots to offer kids. Even the more "upscale" lines have plenty for kids and families....Princess, Celebrity and HAL.....take you pick!

It's probably best to talk to a travel agent, and get some brochures on each line. You will get a "feel" for each line if you do a bit of research via brochures or online!

Yup -

Babies:

• minimum age to sail varies by line
  • in-room sitting availability varies, minimum age for in-room sitting varies

Toddlers:

• Carnival allows 2YO and up in their kids programs, most other lines have a 3YO age minimum.
  • Some ships have water areas for babies in swimmies, most do not (and do not allow non-potty trained babies in any water area).
  • Some lines offer in cabin baby sitting, while others have only the after-hours sitting service in their kids' club.

Pre-school / early elementry school aged

• Structure of kids programs vary
  • activities outside of kids programs vary
  • Can you leave kids on-board if you get off at port
  • Minimum age for excursions / cut-off age for kids rates for excursions

Older kids

• Age when kids can "check themselves out of" the kids program varies
  • Some ships have lots of interesting activities outside of the kids clubs for kids (rock climbing, wave riders, water slides, skating, etc.)

Teens:

• Activities vary
  • Teen programs vary
  • Curfews vary

Not to mention other policies for kids that could influence what line you sail on (price/policies for third and fourth in cabin)

Disney is by far the best. They just do it right as they do on land.

Princess has a fantastic children's program and to me is the best after Disney.

We also have found that Celebrity has a great program as well.

In my opinion, these cruise lines are not only great for kids but for the parents too.

Keith

Ages will help and we all have differing opinions. For instance - I don't think that Disney is the "best" but Keith always does :D

We all have our own preferences for our own families and why.

I am jumping back and forth between Royal Caribbean and Norwegian ships and they are the best for MY family ;)

We have been on Disney and Carnival more than a few times and they just aren't the right fit for us.

Ages will help and we all have differing opinions. For instance - I don't think that Disney is the "best" but Keith always does :D

We all have our own preferences for our own families and why.

I am jumping back and forth between Royal Caribbean and Norwegian ships and they are the best for MY family ;)

We have been on Disney and Carnival more than a few times and they just aren't the right fit for us.

Can you give me an use as to why Disney wasn't a good fit for you guys? As a single mom it was perfect for me with a young child. When he's older other cruiselines and their activities will be more appealing. Right now he won't do things like climb a rock wall, ride a merry to round, or go on a flow rider, etc. He's also barely a character person and only likes chip and dale and stitch. On Disney it was the scheduled activities outside the club that he appreciated. He didnt like the activities inside the club. For example, he doesn't like arts and crafts. He likes to run around, climb on the play structure and will do some other activities if I am there. I'm just curious what happened with you guys.

Can you give me an use as to why Disney wasn't a good fit for you guys? As a single mom it was perfect for me with a young child. When he's older other cruiselines and their activities will be more appealing. Right now he won't do things like climb a rock wall, ride a merry to round, or go on a flow rider, etc. He's also barely a character person and only likes chip and dale and stitch. On Disney it was the scheduled activities outside the club that he appreciated. He didnt like the activities inside the club. For example, he doesn't like arts and crafts. He likes to run around, climb on the play structure and will do some other activities if I am there. I'm just curious what happened with you guys.

As a fellow single mom with young children, Princess was the best fit for us. They allow parents to join their kids in the kids club and had a small playground with slide, big wheels, etc. I think my girls and I would have hated a ship full of kids, so Princess was a great choice for us, enough kids to play with but few enough that my girls were treated like VIPs - along with the fact that it can be half the cost of Disney. Just goes to show that there is no "best ship for kids" - different families have different needs that change as the kids get older.

Best,

Mia

As a fellow single mom with young children' date=' Princess was the best fit for us. They allow parents to join their kids in the kids club and had a small playground with slide, big wheels, etc. I think my girls and I would have hated a ship full of kids, so Princess was a great choice for us, enough kids to play with but few enough that my girls were treated like VIPs - along with the fact that it can be half the cost of Disney. Just goes to show that there is no "best ship for kids" - different families have different needs that change as the kids get older.

Best,

Mia[/quote']

Great info! :)

Honestly, I'm a Disney fan and even if I was going on an adult trip I'd prefer Disney. I've got a 3 night girl's DVC member trip coming up and I'm super existed about it.

. . . I don't think that Disney is the "best" but Keith always does :D

Can you give me an use as to why Disney wasn't a good fit for you guys? . . .

DD absolutely hated our one-and-only try at a Disney cruise when she was young.

Part of it was a "I should have known better" :D As far as costumed characters are concerned -- if it wasn't Santa with a real beard or Bucky Badger, at 3.5YO she was terrified. Even now (at 17YO) she thinks that they are "creepy" and was more than happy to be the one taking everyone's pictures with the characters at her band trip to Disneyland last year. Her best friend managed to snap one photo of her with Tinkerbell -- she was about three feet away from Tink, with her arms crossed and looking at her rather suspiciously.

Part of it was that the activities at the Disney Kids club were a bit too disorganized for my DD's personality. The age groups (at least at that time) were a bit wide open so there were too many intimidating "big" kids.

She always loved RCCI Adventure Ocean and NCL's kids programs -- I've found the counselors on those lines to really be good. Good with kids, good with organizing the chaos, good with mixing things up. Princess and Celebrity were both good experiences as well.

Don't overlook ones not normally mentioned like Celebrity and Holland America.

My grandchildren have cruised on other cruise lines but have always liked Celebrity best ... and still do as teens.

Princess always has a very decent program.

LuLu

~~~~

My kids can't go on a flow rider and the youngest doesn't like to rock climb. But what she DOES like is being something like a celebrity when she travels ;)

When we travel on Disney - my girls are 1 in 1,000 other Princesses. When we travel on Royal Caribbean - the crew members say "Good Morning Princess" and they mean it.

The pools on Disney are LOBSTER TANKS. Filled with kids jumping over one another.

118.jpg

The pools on RCL ships are more open with room to move and relax.

039.jpg

There is nothing relaxing about standing in line 100 people deep at a character signing. We go to WDW almost every year and my girls rarely have to wait to meet the characters. So it's annoying to do it on a ship.

The dining room servers are fair - both the Magic and Wonder's servers we had to wait for our drinks every night. On every RCL ship - phenomenal service. On our last RCI sailing in August we were laughing at the assistant waiter because everytime I took a drink he refilled up my tea. It became a game for us.

And they know our NAMES. No matter where we are on the ship - if the cabin attendant or one of our servers sees me - they ask where my girls are by NAME. We didn't have that on Disney.

The kids club on Disney - CHAOS! Kids running everywhere. ADULTS allowed into the kids club! This was a huge problem for me! No other kids club allow adults into their club and I don't want any adults having access to MY kids! I found my daughter in the bathroom and they didn't stop me from entering the bathroom (they didn't even notice me) which means anyone could have had access to children in the bathrooms. Frightening! Adults who DON'T have kids in the club are allowed into the kids club "just to look around" - OMG!

I work with children and as far as safety goes - Disney clubs are scary to me.

And lastly (because you asked me)

The cabins....

Here is one of our cabins on Disney - Verandah

045.jpg

We spent less money on this one and its much more space on Independence

065.jpg

And THIS was HALF the cost on NCL Gem - this is just the bathroom of our two bedroom suite. The girls had their own cabin with bathroom within our suite. We had a butler. And all kinds of suite amenities. Disney couldn't come close.

374.jpg

My kids can't go on a flow rider and the youngest doesn't like to rock climb. But what she DOES like is being something like a celebrity when she travels ;)

When we travel on Disney - my girls are 1 in 1,000 other Princesses. When we travel on Royal Caribbean - the crew members say "Good Morning Princess" and they mean it.

The pools on Disney are LOBSTER TANKS. Filled with kids jumping over one another.

118.jpg

The pools on RCL ships are more open with room to move and relax.

039.jpg

There is nothing relaxing about standing in line 100 people deep at a character signing. We go to WDW almost every year and my girls rarely have to wait to meet the characters. So it's annoying to do it on a ship.

The dining room servers are fair - both the Magic and Wonder's servers we had to wait for our drinks every night. On every RCL ship - phenomenal service. On our last RCI sailing in August we were laughing at the assistant waiter because everytime I took a drink he refilled up my tea. It became a game for us.

And they know our NAMES. No matter where we are on the ship - if the cabin attendant or one of our servers sees me - they ask where my girls are by NAME. We didn't have that on Disney.

The kids club on Disney - CHAOS! Kids running everywhere. ADULTS allowed into the kids club! This was a huge problem for me! No other kids club allow adults into their club and I don't want any adults having access to MY kids! I found my daughter in the bathroom and they didn't stop me from entering the bathroom (they didn't even notice me) which means anyone could have had access to children in the bathrooms. Frightening! Adults who DON'T have kids in the club are allowed into the kids club "just to look around" - OMG!

I work with children and as far as safety goes - Disney clubs are scary to me.

And lastly (because you asked me)

The cabins....

Here is one of our cabins on Disney - Verandah

045.jpg

We spent less money on this one and its much more space on Independence

065.jpg

And THIS was HALF the cost on NCL Gem - this is just the bathroom of our two bedroom suite. The girls had their own cabin with bathroom within our suite. We had a butler. And all kinds of suite amenities. Disney couldn't come close.

374.jpg

Wow, aside from the size of the cabins I've never experienced any of that. I've always had great service and attention. Adults are not allowed in the club (and definitely not the bathrooms-I was stopped from going in with my son) except to go pick up their child and during open house times. I've only been on off season cruises leaving out of Los Angeles so I know nothing about those crowds. Sorry your Disney experience was negative. I love DCL and all of the Disney magic.

Wow, aside from the size of the cabins I've never experienced any of that. I've always had great service and attention. Adults are not allowed in the club (and definitely not the bathrooms-I was stopped from going in with my son) except to go pick up their child and during open house times. I've only been on off season cruises leaving out of Los Angeles so I know nothing about those crowds. Sorry your Disney experience was negative. I love DCL and all of the Disney magic.

I travel off season as well. And you said it yourself "adults are allowed in to pick up their children". I happen to be standing near someone when they asked to see the kids club. On other lines "NO adults even WHEN they are picking up their children are allowed in the kids clubs".

On RCI, CCL and NCL - the adults don't make it past the front door. Just because someone has a child doesn't make them safe to be around my child. ;)

I travel off season as well. And you said it yourself "adults are allowed in to pick up their children". I happen to be standing near someone when they asked to see the kids club. On other lines "NO adults even WHEN they are picking up their children are allowed in the kids clubs".

On RCI, CCL and NCL - the adults don't make it past the front door. Just because someone has a child doesn't make them safe to be around my child. ;)

Actually twice ccl asked me to come on in. Once because my 2 yo would not let them change her so i did it in their changing area and once cauze she was sleeping in the corner to pick her up. So cc did allow adults past the door at least on that ship.

I think each cruise line has something for everyone. If you are a huge Disney fan then you'll love DCL. I'm a bigger Disney fan than cruise fan so if I didn't do DCL I'd be happy at Aulani (I own there) or the parks. I cruise Disney for the magic. I hope to try a different line as a parent someday. I've tried different ones parenthood and wasn't that impressed.

We cruised Disney 8 times. It was great when they were younger, but last year, at age 8 and 10, they wouldn't touch the clubs. Next week we are sailing the Oasis. The whole family is excited about trying a new ship, and if the kids don't want the clubs, I know they will have plenty to do

Deeds2, Since your going on the Oasis next week with a Nine year old I believe. Can you please bring back and upload the Daily Compass and Kids section? We are cruising for the first time with a child who is 9 in May on the same schedule. We want to make this a GREAT!! experience for her and her mom since it will be a longggggg time before they could (if ever) do this again. If you don't mind give some advice on what the 9 yr old liked and didn't like. Mine is kinda shy at first but can make friends quickly if comfortable in her surroundings.

We cruised Disney 8 times. It was great when they were younger, but last year, at age 8 and 10, they wouldn't touch the clubs. Next week we are sailing the Oasis. The whole family is excited about trying a new ship, and if the kids don't want the clubs, I know they will have plenty to do

Definitly more active, exciting options for older kids and adults on the Oasis. Should be fun!

Archived