Help me please!!!

Step away from the pants! You could double up, and bring quarters for laundry in case something happens that a pair gets dirty. :) Or just pack into a bigger suitcase and be happy. No one will judge you on how much you bring!

Enjoy your cruise!

When I was packing for my first cruise someone on here told me to pack compleatly, then only take half the clothes and twice the money. It's served me pretty well :)

Great advice! I wish I could do it. I always pack too much; the worst is schlepping all of the clothes around and then not wearing them!

Leaving Friday for our next cruise - maybe it is not too late to take this advice!

Kevin C

Step away from the pants! You could double up, and bring quarters for laundry in case something happens that a pair gets dirty. :) Or just pack into a bigger suitcase and be happy. No one will judge you on how much you bring!

Enjoy your cruise!

This is totally what I would do if I didn't have to deal with airline luggage restrictions. I actually found I could have gotten use out of a lot more things than I was able to take on our Victory 7-day recently. Also, there's PLENTY of storage space in your cabin, don't worry about that part. And doing laundry on vacation?? Have to shoot you a NO on that one! :D

When I was packing for my first cruise someone on here told me to pack compleatly, then only take half the clothes and twice the money. It's served me pretty well :)

This applies no matter how manty pairs of pants are in your suitcase!! :D

I plan the activities I want to do, and then figure what I have to wear to do them. Each time I think I am packing less and less, but the suitcase seems to stay full. 7 pairs of pants might be over kill for a 5 day cruise though. Have fun, pack what you want, but think about what you will be doing during your cruise before you put things in the suitcase.:)

My biggest mistake on our first cruise was to overpack. we ended up using half of the stuff we took! You might think you will use it all but you most likely wont. Especially in our case, being in a balcony room, meant less time on the top decks so we wore shorts and tshirts or pj's most of the time. I would take maybe 4 pairs and double up on a few (they do have laundry rooms onboard if you would like to use them)

God luck and have fun!

We always do laundry on the ship! It takes no time and when we get home we don't have to do laundry. :)

On our cruise in 2011, we brought 6 suitcases (I know, I know... I have lost 177 lbs. and I wanted to look nice in my clothes--it was a new thing for me, so gimme a break!). THIS year, we each brought one and a cosmetic bag. I have status with the airlines so we get free luggage.

This year, even though I packed a different outfit for each day, I *still* didn't use all of them. I was in my swimsuit more and our excursions were beach-related, so I agree with some of the other poster's up above--think about what you're going to be doing with your day and see if you need all the clothes you're planning.

And yes, there is a TON of storage in the cabins, so if you can get it to the ship, you'll have places to store your stuff.

I don't know if I'll ever be LESS than one suitcase, but one suitcase each is pretty good, I think! :)

Having been on 9 past cruises, unless you're planning a month long cruise, 5 pair is way too many. For a 5-day, I would pack the following, 2 pants, 2 shorts, 2 swim trunks, and wear a pair of Levi's or blue jeans embarking and debarking. Most of the time onboard you'll be in shorts or swim trunks. Make one pair of your pants either dress pants or suit pants, only if you are planning to attend the elegant meal, which is usually a one-night one-time thing on your cruise. We have learned to pack lightly, especially in view of the airline baggage fees that are being imposed by most airlines. Don't dress for a fashion show, nobody cares about what you are wearing. The only things anyone cares about is getting sun and having fun. :)

Having been on 9 past cruises, unless you're planning a month long cruise, 5 pair is way too many. For a 5-day, I would pack the following, 2 pants, 2 shorts, 2 swim trunks, and wear a pair of Levi's or blue jeans embarking and debarking. Most of the time onboard you'll be in shorts or swim trunks. Make one pair of your pants either dress pants or suit pants, only if you are planning to attend the elegant meal, which is usually a one-night one-time thing on your cruise. We have learned to pack lightly, especially in view of the airline baggage fees that are being imposed by most airlines. Don't dress for a fashion show, nobody cares about what you are wearing. The only things anyone cares about is getting sun and having fun. :)

While it's not a fashion show, I do have to say that when I see someone dressed nicely, I always extend a compliment. Last formal night, I had a girl come up to me--actually chased me down--and wanted to say that she loved the way I was dressed and she just had to tell me. I love to dress for dinner and do. It's the one time a year I can get dressed up. :)

OP, you don't say what ship, or what cruiseline you are on. But, be aware that not all ships have laundry facilities for the passengers to use. I'm going through the same thing for a 14 day cruse, on the other side of the world, so have already committed to the unlimited laundry package and am trying to pare down accordingly. It's HARD to do!

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

We always do laundry on the ship! It takes no time and when we get home we don't have to do laundry. :)

On our cruise in 2011, we brought 6 suitcases (I know, I know... I have lost 177 lbs. and I wanted to look nice in my clothes--it was a new thing for me, so gimme a break!). THIS year, we each brought one and a cosmetic bag. I have status with the airlines so we get free luggage.

This year, even though I packed a different outfit for each day, I *still* didn't use all of them. I was in my swimsuit more and our excursions were beach-related, so I agree with some of the other poster's up above--think about what you're going to be doing with your day and see if you need all the clothes you're planning.

And yes, there is a TON of storage in the cabins, so if you can get it to the ship, you'll have places to store your stuff.

I don't know if I'll ever be LESS than one suitcase, but one suitcase each is pretty good, I think! :)

Just wanted to say huge congratulations on your amazing weight loss! :D

A big inspiration for me - I'm in the middle of my weight loss plan, and have about 80 pounds to go.

Well done you!

WOW!!! Awesome for you! How did you do that? I don't blame you for bringing all your new clothes. When you feel good about what you're wearing and how you look, it's easy to want it all. You should be very proud of yourself!:)

WOW!!! Awesome for you! How did you do that? I don't blame you for bringing all your new clothes. When you feel good about what you're wearing and how you look, it's easy to want it all. You should be very proud of yourself!:)

Awww, thanks! I *am*. I worked hard. I had gastric bypass surgery. Before people think I took the "easy way out" (not that you do, but many many people do), gastric bypass is a tool... it's definitely not a magic pill. I work at it every day and have given up a lot in regards to eating in order to maintain a level of health. It was the best decision I ever made (aside from marrying my husband) and got my life back. It's not the best decision for everyone, though. You have to have the right thinking in your head and know that it is a LIFELONG commitment that you cannot reverse. BIG decision. LOTS of work. HUGE payoff. :)

Here is a before and after of me...day before surgery and me, this past summer.

20monthspost-opbathingsuitside-1.jpg

I know several people that have had bypass surgery and I am not one who thinks it's the easy way out. I say, whatever one needs to do to get their lives back to a healthy place is a good thing.... aside from the obvious things like bulemia, illegal drugs, etc. I am on weight watchers and that works for me. Slow and steady.... it's a journey, not a quick trip. :rolleyes: But Cheers to you, you look maaaahvelous! as Billy Crystal would say! :D

Dear OP, Sorry for that little sidetrack from your post. :)

You are bringing 5 pairs of pants...what else are you bringing? My first trip was a 5 day Bermuda in August. I brought a shorts outfit for each day, plus a dress for each night at dinner. I brought one extra outfit and a pair of pants in case it was cool at night. I ran out of shorts that were clean. Bermuda was HOT! I got very sweaty.

It all depends on what you do, where you guy, what season it is. & pairs of pants doesn't seem like too much, unless you are going somewhere warm and have 8 pairs of shorts plus 7 or 8 outfits for dinner each night.

Archived