New York Hotel Suggestions?

bunky144

Would love some feedback on where to stay pre-cruise on Canada/NewEngland cruise out of New York, how close is the cruise port to Manhatten and would it be better to stay in Newark where we land and bus it in to be more cost effective? Any suggestions grealy appreciated, thank you in advance for your assistance.

We stayed at the Renaissance right in Times Square before our cruise out of NY. We loved the location of the hotel and had a lot of fun in NY.

The port was right down the street. We parked our car across the street from the port rather then in the lot at the port because we were there when the QE2 and QM2 (I may have the ship names wrong...lousy memory!) sailed together out of NY last April and the lots were full. I doubt you'd have that problem.

The Marriott Marquis and Renaissance are pretty close to each other. I stayed at the Marriott Marquis once - it is a very large hotel in probably the best location in Time Square. There was a teen dance competition staying at our hotel and I got the feeling there were 5-8 teens per room (hotel was very busy!!!). It was not uncommon to wait 15 plus minutes for an elevator. This is probably an extreme situtation but I seriously wished I had stayed at the Renaissance. I had gone back and fourth between these hotels before my trip and really wished I had gone with the latter. Every time I walked by the Renaissance - I wished I had been there.

Once I did get to my room at the Marriott - it was a very large room (by NYC standards) and I had a fabulous view overlooking Time Square. The staff was very helpful and professional.

We just spent a night at the Flatotel, on 52nd st, between 6th and 7th- great hotel! service was wonderful, the room was big, and we enjoyed the extra goodies- chocolate mints, robe in the bathroom, and our room had an empty mini fridge, coffee machine, microwave and safe. There is also a continental breakfast in the hotel restaurant.

Also, We were there the same evening as Kendra from the apprentice- a few days after she won, i guess she decided to hang out in NY for a bit - very nice girl...

I think summer rates are about $250 a night

If you can manage it, the Marriott Marquis is a bit costly, but has some great rooms overlooking Times Square. We stayed there pre-cruise and it was fabulous.

Hi there,

One thing to be aware of if you stay at this hotel. The elevators take forever to get to the floors. Allow a LOT of time if you have to be somewhere. My son and I had a show that I allowed 30 minutes to get to and we almost missed the curtain as it took 22 minutes for the very first elevator to open. Luckily for us the theatre happened to be IN the hotel of we would have missed a lot! This happened both time I stayed at this hotel with the very slow elevators.

This hotel has a great location. It is walking distance from all the Broadway theaters and from Lincoln Center and Central Park. This is convenient if you want to wait on line at TKTS to buy the half-price tickets in the afternoon and then go back at night for the show. You are right there.

It is a small, boutique hotel, not a large, chain hotel.

We enjoyed the complimentary pastries and cappucino in the lobby each morning. It was like being in Italy, well, not quite, but almost!

I was just in NY over the weekend and stayed at the Westin Times Square on 43rd and 8th. This is a beautiful new hotel and is located a few blocks from the port. I was on the 45th floor and had a magnificent view of the city and the river. I could see the cruise ships in port. If you can get a good rate, you should book here.

Definetly check out the Muse Hotel they also have a web site. I think its www.muse.com or www.themuse.com Not pricey but immaculate with the robes and immenities and same location as Marriott Marquis. Modern, the feather beds are to die for.

My husband's headquarters is around the corner from this and whenever he or anyone travels this is where they put them up. He's always had a wonderful stay here.

Most hotels in the midtown area will be close enough to get you to your ship easily by taxi so find yourself a great deal and research on tripadvisors or check it out here.

Would love some feedback on where to stay pre-cruise on Canada/NewEngland cruise out of New York, how close is the cruise port to Manhatten and would it be better to stay in Newark where we land and bus it in to be more cost effective? Any suggestions grealy appreciated, thank you in advance for your assistance.

Hi

We stayed at the Belvedere Hotel, located at 319 West 48th St. This is one way east...I believe at 8th Ave....great spot for coffee, and deli's if you go in a day or two before...rooms are just fine and rates are good...may get even a better break on price if you have a AAA card...

If you are driving yourself...remember about parking charges...this Hotel has a connection with a parking lot two streets away...overnight parking is about $35.00 ...the Hotel charges around $24.00...Its easy to drive to the Hotel and easy to drive to the Car Park and then walk back two blocks to the Hotel

To get to the Cruise Terminal you have to go west bound on W55th st...cross with the lights and drive to your ship's berth...very easy and accessible...if you park at the Cruise Terminal...no problem...cost is about $130.00 for the week and is enclosed by fencing and supervised...you can generally spot your car from the ship, so it is very close when disembarking....if you go by taxi....its a half a block on West 48th...north on 8th ave. to 55th and west on 55th to the ship...should take no more then 5 to 8 minutes...depending on the time of day and which day....

For eating places...lots...Joe Allens is on 42nd( I believe) along with Times Square and Broadway and lots of deli's everywhere..

My choice if I was Cruising out of New York Terminal

Hope this helps

Ken

I was going to suggest the Westin also http://www.westinny.com/

If you are a Starwood member, there are also 2 Sheraton's in Midtown and there are several W hotels in Manhattan as well. ;)

I was just in NY over the weekend and stayed at the Westin Times Square on 43rd and 8th. This is a beautiful new hotel and is located a few blocks from the port. I was on the 45th floor and had a magnificent view of the city and the river. I could see the cruise ships in port. If you can get a good rate, you should book here.

Archived