spa. steiner owned?

massagegirl

The spas are managed by Steiner but I don't believe they are "owned" by Steiner. I know Steiner has a contract with Princess to run them. Princess experimented with managing some spas on their own but that fizzled.

Steiner runs the spa's on virtually all the mass market cruiselines (and many of the upscale ones as well.) As a side note a few years back NCL declined to renew their contract with Steiner and signed on with Mandara Spa. A year later Steiner bought a controlling interest in Mandara Spa. There's no escaping Steiner! :D

I felt that both my therapist were people off the street not really trained in massage. One massage they never did my neck and shoulders. They were more like light body rubs. On RCCl we did not get robes to change into. I know these therapist are over worked so I booked both early so they would be refreshed, but it did not help. I did not feel like they enjoyed what they did. I know there were more details, but as time passes the details fade and all I remember is saying that I will never spend that money again, and believe me I dont mind soending on a massage that is worth it! I go every chance I get.

Last year on RCCL I was very disappointed in my spa services also. I found the therapist not to be at all accomadating. I normally take a 90 minute massage at a very nice resort here in Cancun so I asked for the same and I was willing to pay whatever it cost but they told me no. I also felt that the thereapist was not well trained and spent way too much time asking me personal questions. I think that filling out a questionare and signing a waiver is more than enough. I also thought that the pressure was too light but that might have been because most of the people that they see aren't used to getting regular massages and they're cautious. And the worst part were all the products that she tried to sell me at the end. I'm used to being offered products after a facial but never after a massage. The girl that did my services was getting close to the end of her contract and her boyfriend had just gotten off the ship so I'm sure that added to her general attutude.

I'm not sure if I'll spend the money on my next cruise.

I had a mixed experience with my spa experience on the CB

Negative - I was one of the many caught up in having booked spa services when the Lotus Spa was run by Princess and having services/prices changed when Steiner took over. Pain in the neck to resolve, but in the end all was well.

Ended up having my massage as planned and it was great. I normally frequent Elizabeth Arden, and was happy with the massage on the CB. There was no hard sell involved for me, just a few product recommendations (written down, not pushed on me). Would book again on the CB, but I'm sure that staff quality differs ship to ship (as it would spa to spa on land).

Also did the couples Rasul Experience on the same cruise. Very happy with that as well, but that is totally dependent on your partner, as they are your massuse!!:D

I have always had a good expercience at Elizabeth Arden. I think that if CB was just switching over to Steiner they still had the same staff. I heard they were resort and professionally trained. By now they most likely brought in their own staff. I will not spend money now. On RCCL, I had a week booked of services. Then my BF and I hated are services. Customer service did not care, but I got the last laugh. I cancelled my week of services and we had a 6 other people with us, they all cancelled their treatments, now I'm sure they got there spots booked, but I still feel better.

I'm curious to know about your experience... what was bad about it that made you never want to use steiner again?

During the past winter we took two cruises on Norwegian Dawn. On the December cruise, the fitness classes were excellent with two fine female instructors that gave many no charge classes during the day. There was only a nominal $5. for Yoga and Cycling classes. If you attended a specified number of classes, you received a free "In Motion On The Ocean" T-shirt.

We returned to the Dawn in February and found that Steiner had taken over the fitness program. There were now two male instructors, giving fewer no charge classes at inconvenient times (during breakfast and dinner). The fee for yoga, cycling and now pilates (formerly no charge) was now $10. paid in advance for 5 classes (no refund if you don't up). The final straw was that the T-shirts you formerly earned were now only for sale.

Naturally, we were not impressed with Steiners as to their fitness program.

I have had massages on Princess, HAL, RCCL and Carnival in the last couple of years and they all were fairly comparable to massages I have received at several of the local spas located in resorts.

I don't know if it is because I am a guy, but in recent years I don't get the hard sell. The worst was one time the person started a spiel but I quickly stated I wasn't interested in buying anything and she immediately stopped.

Archived