Passport to enter Belize?

agc291

I am a tad bit confused. I thought as long as you are on a closed loop cruise you do not need a passport to travel via cruise ship.

According to Belizes site you do need one, even by cruise ship?

Before anyone starts, I have my passport. I am just asking because this is a port I plan on visiting on the next couple cruises and want to make sure any travel companions have the correct documents.

www (dot) belize (dot) com/caribbean-cruise

you do not need a passport in belieze if you are traveling there by cruise ship.

to get back on the ship you need a photo id and your sign and sail card.

if the ship leaves without you and you do not have a passport-- you are in BIG TROUBLE MR>

this sentence here--- All visitors need passports to enter the country; these should be valid six months beyond the intended stay is for people staying on the islands

However, once the cruise ship anchors in Belize waters, local Immigration and Customs officials board the ship upon arrival and departure to handle entry and exit procedures directly with cruise line officials, working off the Passenger Manifest. Cruise ship passengers are considered in-transit passengers, and so no VISA is required for visits or tours.

I don't read it the same way that serene56 does. Belize and Honduras are not listed on the State Department's list of Caribbean countries that participate in the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative. IMO, the odds are extremely thin that your friends would be asked for their passports while in port but if they were, they could be IN BIG TROUBLE MR.

I had the exact same concerns as listed above. Not listed as part of the Western Hemisphere etc.

However, I Can tell from personal experience that a passport is NOT required to board the ship for a cruise visiting these ports nor to visit these ports if visiting fron a cruise ship.

I had the exact same concerns as listed above. Not listed as part of the Western Hemisphere etc.

However, I Can tell from personal experience that a passport is NOT required to board the ship for a cruise visiting these ports nor to visit these ports if visiting fron a cruise ship.

Lets not confuse the OP... short and sweet if you are on a closed loop cruise US citizens do not need a passport. if you happen to miss the ship trust me you will be allowed to come back to America.

I have been trying to understand the rule too. Can anyone tell me what happens if you are traveling with children. My youngest 15 does not have any photo idea other than her passport, we are all going snorkeling and do not want to take them with us. Will a photocopy of her passport be OK as idea. (In UK there is no other means of photo idea other than passport and driver liecence which is not allowed until 17)

I have been trying to understand the rule too. Can anyone tell me what happens if you are traveling with children. My youngest 15 does not have any photo idea other than her passport, we are all going snorkeling and do not want to take them with us. Will a photocopy of her passport be OK as idea. (In UK there is no other means of photo idea other than passport and driver liecence which is not allowed until 17)

You can take a copy of child if it makes you less nervous but they dont really need it.

16 and above need a photo id= your 15 year old will be fine

Let's be crystal clear.

U.S. citizens on a closed loop cruise do not need a passport to re-enter the United States. All others need a passport. U.S. citizens without a passport will face a bureaucratic nightmare but will ultimately be allowed to enter the country.

Countries that you visit on your cruise set their own requirements for passports and visas, and it is your obligation to meet those requirements. If you do not, you won't be allowed to leave the ship.

Currently Belize and Honduras require U.S. citizens to have a passport to enter, but waive that requirement for cruise ship passengers.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

It is confusing because on any given day the procedure changes. When we went they were asking ( in our line) for passports. Of course a lot of people did not have them. They were happy enough with photo identification, however it seemed like a lot of people only had their sail and sign cards and they were kept aside until the very end in a 'naughty' group. The crew was telling us that it just depended on the mood of whoever was working the line. We always take a photo copy of our passports with us.

For the millionth time, You do not HAVE to have a passport, but I NEED one to breathe easy when cruising. I always leave it in my cabin safe in ports. You will NOT need it in the countries, unless you get left by the ship. I WILL NEVER be left by the ship and If there is an emergency, I will be able to get it from the ship and fly home.

It is confusing because on any given day the procedure changes. When we went they were asking ( in our line) for passports. Of course a lot of people did not have them. They were happy enough with photo identification, however it seemed like a lot of people only had their sail and sign cards and they were kept aside until the very end in a 'naughty' group. The crew was telling us that it just depended on the mood of whoever was working the line. We always take a photo copy of our passports with us.

In line for what? disembarking to go ashore via the tenders???

It has ALWAYS been a requirement that passengers have a S&S card and a photo id to come back into the secure area to reboard the ship. It has NEVER been a requirement that the photo id must be a passport.

I've cruised 27 times and 26 of them to the Carribean and I've been to Belize at least 5 times and have never had to show anyone my photo id when in port, only to get back through security to get back on the ship.

I also never take my passport onshore with me, it stays locked in my safe. I carry my S&S card, DL and a CC when I go ashore.

I have a passport.

I've been to Belize 4 times. I have never once been asked for my passport. It stays in my cabin safe at all times. I do, however, take a copy of it along with photo id and S & S card.

The only time a passport is needed is if you miss the ship while in a foreign country. If you miss the ship, it get be retrieved from your safe. The copy you bring with you assists in expediting the process.

Have a great cruise and don't worry about it!:D

I have a passport.

I've been to Belize 4 times. I have never once been asked for my passport. It stays in my cabin safe at all times. I do, however, take a copy of it along with photo id and S & S card.

The only time a passport is needed is if you miss the ship while in a foreign country. If you miss the ship, it get be retrieved from your safe. The copy you bring with you assists in expediting the process.

Have a great cruise and don't worry about it!:D

Good Tip...Thanks

Archived