Are You a Specialty Restaurant Hold Out?

sail7seas

I have always said that if people continue to hand them more money for something they've already paid for than they will continue to charge for other things too. I recently read that HAL was now charging for an expresso after dinner in the MDR and RCL wants 4.00 for a glass of real orange juice. Soon all the meals will be alla carte and expensive and it's only our fault for letting them get away with it little by little.

I have always said that if people continue to hand them more money for something they've already paid for than they will continue to charge for other things too. I recently read that HAL was now charging for an expresso after dinner in the MDR and RCL wants 4.00 for a glass of real orange juice. Soon all the meals will be alla carte and expensive and it's only our fault for letting them get away with it little by little.

Exactly.

What is the cost of dining at Canaletto? When we cruised last year, we found it to be pretty good and there was not an additional charge. We tried to dine at some of the other specialty places, but always end up waiting too long and can't get in!

We do not object to being able to choose to dine in alternative venues and paying for it. We don't have to go to Pinnacle, Tamarind or Canaletto if we don't want. As to whether the MDR food has been reduced to 'less than it used to be' because of the alternative restaurants? No, I don't think so. There isn't that much seating in Pinnacle and Tamarind to warrant reducing quality in dining room just to fill Pinnacle. The incentive to lower quality and staffing in MDR is reduced overhead resulting in hopefully for them, profit.

I agree the MDR has suffered in recent years and it is obvious to mostly all of us.

But I do not agree it is because of alternative restaurants.

I do believe a la carte dining is on the horizon.

I haven't seen anyone gorge themselves, but I can't say it's always been civil. I have seen far too many passengers pick through the cut fruit salads in the Lido to get only the stuff they like. I have seen people pull out ALL the strawberries. I have also seen passengers touching every piece of smoked salmon before they find one they like, and the same with bread and rolls. I have also witnessed passengers fill their plates with far more chips and toppings from the taco bar than any three people could eat comfortably.

I always like the Code Red Days at the beginning of the cruise, because people are not allowed to serve themselves or pick out just the "good stuff."

That is just nasty. Another good reason to avoid the lido.

What is the cost of dining at Canaletto? When we cruised last year, we found it to be pretty good and there was not an additional charge. We tried to dine at some of the other specialty places, but always end up waiting too long and can't get in!

It is $10 pp but has the same three and four star mariner discount that Pinnacle and Tamarind have.

It is reported diners are to receive an included beverage with their meal in Canaletto but some have reported they were not offered the wine or soft drink. I don't recall on which ship(s) that happened.

I think everyone should boycott them as it appears the main dining has suffered, not only at HAL but across all the main cruise lines.

That said I ate at one once and it was excellent. But if people don't stop supporting them, traditional dining is dead.

I agree!

We do not object to being able to choose to dine in alternative venues and paying for it. We don't have to go to Pinnacle, Tamarind or Canaletto if we don't want. As to whether the MDR food has been reduced to 'less than it used to be' because of the alternative restaurants? No, I don't think so. There isn't that much seating in Pinnacle and Tamarind to warrant reducing quality in dining room just to fill Pinnacle. The incentive to lower quality and staffing in MDR is reduced overhead resulting in hopefully for them, profit.

I agree the MDR has suffered in recent years and it is obvious to mostly all of us.

But I do not agree it is because of alternative restaurants.

I do believe a la carte dining is on the horizon.

sail, you are looking at it strictly through HAL though, many of these newer ships have 5-10 or more specialty restaurants. That is definitely enough seating to cut down on MDR service. HAL is matching that deteriorating service according to recent cruisers. A la carte is definitely on it's way, and I found on the Monarch if you say a word about the quality of the food, even on the lido, it is "You can always go to the pay restaurant". It is coming to everyone.

On a lot of cruises coming up HAL is cheaper than Carnival, Princess, X, and RCCL. They should be as they have the oldest fleet and therefore have been able to amortize their costs over the years, but instead of becoming cheaper and going a la carte on everything, they should maintain pricing structure and add improvements rather than having to gut their prices to draw customers.

With cruise prices so consistently low over the last decade or so, there is no way HAL could provide the quality of food that is in the Pinnacle Grill in the MDR. We ate at PG twice on our last cruise, and had one of our more memorable meals ever (the second time we went was not as outstanding, but still very good). We also enjoyed Canaletto's twice. The food wasn't fabulous, but the experience was enjoyable.

We did not have a set dining time and found it difficult to get the table for two we wanted in the MDR. We ate at the Lido a lot, and because of that, our 4 alternative restaurant evenings were lovely and worth the money, it my opinion.

At first we avoided the SRs - partly becuase my DH does not eat many things, likes every plain and initially the SRs did not want to deal with "special orders" off menu.

The MDRs on many ships and lines have gotten more crowded, with larger ships, consequently more noisey and not a very intimate dining experience.

So gradually we have booked SRs, when we fine ones willing to do some special ordering, off menu for the DH and then, we enjoy the peace and quiet of the SR atmosphere. Generally we only do SR 1 or 2 times per cruise. We go more for the atmosphere then the food.

We also fine the buffet in the evening may be equally quiet, if we eat early we can get a view and enjoy the sunset at the same time.

Some times we buy some food items in port and enjoy a meal on our balcony. We did this while on the Queen Victoria in Haifa Israel. Our room was next to a suite with butler service, interestingly the folks in the suite were also enjoying a private balcony dinner served in courses by the butler. Ours was less fancy for sure but still enjoyable.

The good news is today there are a variety of options on cruise ships. When we board, we check out was is available and do what suites on different nights.

We cruise a variety of lines: Princess, HAL, Cunard, Celebrity and NCL.

When HAL brought out Zuiderdam and introduced Pinnacle Grill to us, we were a little surprised there would be a charge to dine in any venue on a ship. For HAL, it was a new concept as Marco Polo and Odyssey had been no extra charge (except a tip if one wished to leave one.)

We enjoyed it right from the start and have never been on a cruise since the ships started having them added that we have not dined there definitely once and usually more.

I know some people still feel the cruise lines should not charge but we have felt having them available has enhanced our cruise enjoyment. We would miss to not have that choice now.

We think the price is fair and the experience/food/service very worth it.

I wonder how many people still think HAL made a mistake by adding Pinnacle, Tamarind and Canaletto seeing they bear a charge.

How many folks feel that way?

All I can say is I haven't eaten in the main dining room for years. I'm currently booked on the Nieuw Amsterdam for a week's cruise, and I'm pre-booked for five nights in the Pinnacle, and have a gift of another dinner there from Stein Kruse making it six. You can't touch anything comparable for the cost, and that's before the Mariner discount. I guess I'll have to book the empty evening in the Tamarind:eek:

All I can say is I haven't eaten in the main dining room for years. I'm currently booked on the Nieuw Amsterdam for a week's cruise, and I'm pre-booked for five nights in the Pinnacle, and have a gift of another dinner there from Stein Kruse making it six. You can't touch anything comparable for the cost, and that's before the Mariner discount. I guess I'll have to book the empty evening in the Tamarind:eek:

I agree dinner in Pinnacle is almost alway excellent.

But the menu has not changed in a while and there are only so many things on it that I care for or can/want to eat. If we go to Pinnacle more than two or three times in a week, I get bored with the menu.

If you don't limit your choices and dine from the entire menu, that would be different. I eat red meat but very little and once a week is enough for me. I can only eat just so much salmon as I have that in the MDR also. The fish choices in Pinnacle aren't all that wonderful IMO

Their forte is steak and they do it great. :)

It took me until 2008 and a freebie from my TA to get me in the Pinnacle. I always thought I'm not paying extra for food. Once I went there I was hooked. I love the Tamarind and plan to do several dinners there on my next cruise. If people don't want to go it's fine by me. More room for me. I think it's a mistake to charge for Canneletto. The place is mediocre at best.

We always do at least one Pinnacle evening as we find the quiet elegance a nice change from the busy MDR. We also love the Tamarind for the same reason and for the amazing food. We've done the Cannaletto both free and for a fee and you are right - unremarkable so not worth paying for. All in all, we have to say the Tamarind is the best bang for your buck.We have definitely seen a diminishing quality of service in the MDR, but this is in no way the fault of the servers - they just have too much to do to be able to offer the service we have gotten used to. :)

Totally AGREE!!

with 30% of the people on board ordering multiple orders... Holland and others need to allow at dinner and lunch to order 1 of each course... no reason to order more unless you are just out of control. Want 2 entrees great and 2 deserts and so on. Great first is free and the second is $$$

Restauraunts do not let you order everything for on price.

Maybe a simple card scan, If you get it scanned at breakfast in the Lido, the Dining room will accept you for an additional price. You need to pick where you eat... I would welcome it That would be a quick 30% increase in the bottom line !

with 30% of the people on board ordering multiple orders... Holland and others need to allow at dinner and lunch to order 1 of each course... no reason to order more unless you are just out of control. Want 2 entrees great and 2 deserts and so on. Great first is free and the second is $$$

Restauraunts do not let you order everything for on price.

Maybe a simple card scan, If you get it scanned at breakfast in the Lido, the Dining room will accept you for an additional price. You need to pick where you eat... I would welcome it That would be a quick 30% increase in the bottom line !

In the main dining room for dinner, I will often order two soups, but no appetizer or salad. Other times I order a main course portion of an appetizer. And many times I will mix and match the side dishes of the main courses in place of the main course. I like being able to mix and match from the menu and would be very unhappy if I were limited to the combinations the chef deems appropriate. I have never ordered more than one main course protein. I think limiting the main course proteins is fine, but not necessarily limiting appetizers, soups, salads, sides, or desserts.

I am not sure how you can limit anyone going back and forth to an open self-service buffet with two separate, independent lines, and multiple stations. The man-power and equipment needed to ensure one-trip per person would not be cost effective.

And many people are of the opinion that the food has already been paid for, so they might as well get their money's worth. Other than an a la carte system, what are you going to do about those? I would not object to an a la carte system, as I often use that system anyway.

In the meantime, it would not be hard for the dining room/Lido to keep track of what each passenger orders and charge for the second main course -- I have wondered why they have not done that for years.

I think Bruce often just makes things up. I cannot think of any feasible way for a cruise line to track where and when 'every passenger' eats on a ship...as he put it.

well, I don't think he makes things up - but I do wonder seriously how they know where everyone goes - for example, the Neptune Lounge didn't figure into the equation.

Here's my big 'pig out' example - I'll scoot up to the Lido and get us a sandwich or a panini to share and bring it back to the room and we will munch on the balcony. A few hours later I will nip up to return the plates and grab a few veggies or cheese and crackers.

So, should I be charged double? Is that visiting twice?? is that extra? i don't think so - we barely took anything - we just choose to snack and not pig out all at once:D

If they are counting that then I guess we are one of them - but since we don't pig out (no plates laden down per se) just wondering how they count that??

I believe Bruce said they did a survey. I don't know how long ago the survey was done, what criteria they used and whether it was a scientifically valid sample size.

What he did do is mention about every way there is to eat on board with the exception of the Neptune Grill.

I really doubt people would eat at the MDR for breakfast and then go eat breakfast in the Lido and then eat lunch in the MDR then eat lunch in the lido then eat a bowl of ice cream then eat dinner in the MDR, follow that up with another dinner in the Lido and to top it off finish with room service or the PG or the midnight buffet.

Especially one in three people (approx). That to me is skewed.

You are correct. On ships, a tip is generally not required. But if you eat in a NY City Restaurant and leave less than a 20% tip, there is a very good chance the waiter and manager will follow you onto the street for some serious discussion on your tipping habits.

I have lived in New York City 26 years, have eaten in many restaurants of various levels and have never, ever seen that happen.

I wish I had found this thread sooner. In the first four years of cruising, we ate in a specialty restaurant only once. We found the MDR on both Princess and HAL to be much to our liking, and frankly the first time we ate in a steakhouse, the portion was bigger, but not any better.

Then we tried the Pinnacle and fell in love with it. Now on a two week cruise we are in there at least four times. The next thing we found was the Tamarind and we also found that to our liking. It was only by accident that we wound up in the Caneletto, they had empty seats and the stewart suggested we try it free. Needless to say we have been there three or four times a cruise since. For a while, it was the best kept secret on the S and R class ships. When not in a speciality restaurant, we have dinner in the Lido.

Unless we are cruising with another couple, we don't bother with the MDR anymore, especially on the Vista ships. They have too much oversize furniture crammed into too little space resulting in an obstacle course for the waitstaff. With the staff all stressed out, and waits of up to fifty five minuted for the first course to be served, we just got tired of it.

Archived