Some one familar with Honolulu Airport!

zookepr0

When we are transferring to the inter-island terminal we usually allow an hour and a half. You will be fine. You may even have time to enjoy a tropical beverage and the island breezes before getting on the next plane. The Honolulu airport is very easy (lots of walking) and I enjoy the open walkways after being on a long flight. Have fun, Cherie

Our flight from Detroit will land at 3:09 pm can we easily catch another flight Hawaiian Air departure 5:32 pm. How long should it take to get around the airport. Thanks for the help.

I worked as a flight attendant in the islands for 5 years and am quite familiar with the Honolulu airport. If you are flying with any of the island airlines (go!, Island Air, or Mokulele), you will be able to retrieve your baggage from your Mainland flight and catch a airport shuttle to the commuter terminal. The commuter terminal is quite small with a very small TSA check-in. The time of day you are traveling is busy if during the week (due to 'end of the day' tour groups returning to other islands or locals returning home from daily commute).

Your connecting time is still doable though. Allow at least an hour for the 5 minute shuttle ride, ticket counter check-in and TSA. This allows for plenty of stress-free time if there are lines at the ticket counter or at TSA. The gates for departure will be a 1 minute walk (or less :-) from TSA.

*** Past TSA in commuter terminal, a small bar and a snack kiosk only for food and beverages ***

Enjoy the islands --- they're the best!

DUH --- I reread your post and realize you are on Hawaiian Air so you will remain in the main terminal and not have to go through any TSA lines! Hopefully, you are checking your bags all the way through to your final destination ;-).

Like earlier posters have said, enjoy walking the terminal to your next flight. Good food to be enjoyed and beautiful outside areas to relax close to gate areas (all within secure areas). Have fun!!! Aloha!

There are some rumblings going on on some other boards (flyer talk) about how Hawaiian is now charging people for luggage even if they already paid fees on their originating airline. Also some rumblings that, if your HA flight isn't part of the same PNR (reservation AND ticket) as your Mainland flights, you cannot have your luggage transferred for you - you have to pick up the luggage, drag it to/from HA terminal, go through TSA again, re-check bags with HA.

I would highly suggest that you seek out details on this from HA and your Mainland airline. It wouldn't be fun to get to your destination, only to find out that your bags are still on the carousel in HNL, waiting for you to pick them up :eek:

zookepr0 - I am assuming that you are on a Delta flight. If so, Delta is a partner of Hawaiian Airlines and they should check your bags all the way to your destination when you check in for your flight in DTW. Make sure you ask though so that if necessary you can collect your bags in Honolulu, check them in on Hawaiian Air, and proceed to the gate. It's really no big deal as long as you know what to expect. We only travel to Hawaii a couple times a year but have never had to worry about our bags when traveling on a partner airline. Next week we will be on Hawaiian from LAX to Hilo and I will let you know if there are any problems. Cherie

Archived