Carnival Victory Review Nov 4-11 2012

BenjiRodney

We just got off the Victory on Sunday and got home last night. We flew to San Juan a day early and stayed a day latter as well.

We did this cruise last year and wanted to do it again as there is way too much to try and do in one weeks times. It my myself 42 (Roger) Jerome 48 and a friend from work and her mother. We were on Panorama 1057, they were on Spa Deck 1105. We had different flights and made plans to meet at Senor Frogs for dinner Saturday night.

The Taxi from the airport to CasaBlanca was 25 dollars and that included the charge for the luggage, it took maybe 20 minutes.

Only thing wrong with hotel no hot water in the room, and no other room to move us to.

We checked out of the hotel at 11:55. Went right to the ship to drop off the bags and check in. Your documents will state that check in is from 230-830, but boarding had already started and it took maybe 20 minutes from curbside to check in a getting that magical little S and S card. Picked up a 12 pack of Diet Coke from the store in the upstairs boarding area and off to check out our home for the next 7 days.

San Juan is an easy embarkation, they seem to know what they are doing and how to do it. Fair Warning, they were looking hard for Booze and seizing all that they could. You can still take your one bottle of wine or champagne.

Our room was ready when we boarded so we left our carry on items and set out for Lido Lunch.

The first day dinner is very casual and open seating. We stayed off until around 530 and then got back on board and met our friends for dinner and then back to the room to see if the luggage arrived. It had, unpacked them and decided to go wait it out until the dreaded safety drill. This year it was longer than last and was miserable, but still necessary.

We checked out of the hotel at 11:55. Went right to the ship to drop off the bags and check in. Your documents will state that check in is from 230-830, but boarding had already started and it took maybe 20 minutes from curbside to check in a getting that magical little S and S card. Picked up a 12 pack of Diet Coke from the store in the upstairs boarding area and off to check out our home for the next 7 days.

Can you help us through this beverage process??? Did you stop at the store for additional liquor and is it better to wait until you are in the upstairs boarding area to buy packs of soda or at the CVS or Walgreens in the Old City?

I did not try to bring on any liquor in San Juan. CVS sells 8 packs of soda and the shop upstairs sells 12 packs, I went ahead and paid more for the 12 pack so I would not have to carry it as far. They had coke, sprite and diet coke 8.95 tax free for 12 pack, sounds like a lot, but will cost you twice that much on the ship if you bought 12 cans. We each bought a 12 pack.

In St Thomas, and St Kitts, I did purchase some of the airplane size and put them in the pockets of my cargo shorts and walked right through the metal detector without it going off. They did seize my flask size of rum I tried to bring on in my back pack in Barbados. So it seems to be hit and miss.

St Thomas, this would be the third time for us in this port. Again I booked an Island tour for the four of us through Air Force One tours and we were lucky enough to get Papa Bear again as our driver. He takes a route and shows you things that you would not get to see if you booked the Island Tour through Carnival. St Thomas is one port I feel fine in booking on my own. He tells you what you are seeing, makes many stops to allow you to take pictures. The tour is 35 per person, much cheaper than what the cruise line charges. You do not feel rushed at all on his tours. I can't say enough good things about it. You also get to visit Mountain Top where, if the clouds are nice, you can see Megan's Bay. After the tour you can go back to the ship or he will let you off downtown for shopping, and then a taxi back to the ship is 4 dollars or a mile walk. We have done both.

Also Paradise Point is nice to visit, we did not this time, but did the past two times.

We got sucked into a time share presentation for an hour with promises of prizes just for coming. I got a nice diamond looking charm, Jerome got a 2 day cruise from Palm Beach to Freeport and the ladies got money/certificates for jewelry. (PS we did not buy the 14995 time shares, that dropped magically to 1995 when we said no, we still said no.)

We finally met our cabin steward today, Harry. nice and also kept everything clean and tidy. They seem to know your schedule and clean around you. We were on Panorama Deck 10, Cabin 1057. Will be back later with more, gotta go from one job to the other. (took a part time job to pad the cruise funds, next cruise is Jan 28 on the Carnival Imagination, quick 4 day Key West/Cozumel cruise)

Archived