How do you Do formal night in Alaska, Diamond Princess

wadeod

Wade,

I'm glad you asked this. We are on the Diamond with you and DH was planning on a navy blazer and slacks with a tie. I am bringing short dresses for both formal nights. I hope he doesn't need to bring a suit.

We just got back from the Diamond Princess Alaska cruise 5/14, and formal nights didn't seem to be any big deal. My husband wore what he wore everynight to the dining room (blue slacks, sport coat, white shirt), but he fancied it up with a tie on formal nights! The first formal night I wore a short, black cocktail dress and the second formal night I just wore a nice pants outfit and didn't feel out of place at all. There were people in the theater in jeans and sweats on formal nights, but I didn't see any of that in the dining room. Hope this helps.

Jennifer

If you want the Princess explanation of what to wear, read on.

"For evening dining, there are two designations for dress codes in our dining rooms: smart casual and formal. When evening dress is smart casual, passengers dress as they would for a fine restaurant at home."

"On formal nights, appropriate attire includes tuxedos, slacks with dinner jackets, or suits for men."

I'm not sure what "fine dining" might be in anyone's particular home town or what that home town's finest restaurant might have as its dress code, but that's the recommendation for what to wear in the dining rooms on "smart casual" evenings.

For "formal" they used to indicate "dark" in reference to "suits for men," but the rules seem to have been worn down a bit.

Hint: A navy blazer does not qualify as a dinner jacket.

I have found the Alaskan cruises to be less formal than the Caribbean cruises. On our Alaskan cruise we did not see one man in a tux and we saw only one woman was in a long dress. Maybe we hit an "off" week but even the nightly dress was less formal. There were alot of cocktail-type pantsuits and silk pants with sequined tops....less dresses.

I saw lots passengers wearing tuxedos on our Alaskan cruise on the Star Princess in 2003. (It did about the same itinerary that the Diamond now does.) A navy jacket with charcoal gray slacks might not get noticed as being terribly out of place. The blazer would look out of place with khakis on formal nights--but you might see some men getting by with that or worse.

I always wear Dockers (black or tan), blue blazer with open collar dress shirt.

I spend a good deal of $$ (hard-erned blue collar type) and this is the best I'm do'n, like it or not.

My DW wears cocktail type dresses, various colors. Never any funeral black stuff.

Ciao !

ps The name of the ship makes NO difference

The guys will look smashing and fit right in with the way the rest of our group will likely be dressed!!! I've decided to go "Alaska formal" which is exactly how you've said you're going to dress. I am not packing any bulky formalwear for Alaska - we've got too much other stuff to pack! So don't worry, you'll be perfectly acceptable! People can debate all day about what fits within their definition of formal...

I was on the same cruise as geoherb and I agree most men had tuxedos on.

I think the Alaskan cruise is more formal then most. I noticed that some men had white tuxedo on the first formal night and then switched to black for the second.

Please note that what is acceptable in the dining rooms on formal night depends on the ship and those who are working in the dining room. On my Island Princess sailing this year, people were turned away from the dining room for inappropriate dress. My hope is that Princess will continue this practice and keep a bit of formality as part of the cruise experience. Two nights out of seven isn’t that big of a deal, and the cruise line offers plenty of casual alternatives for those who don’t wish to dress.

We just got back from Alaska and Most men wore Tuxs and ladies had on formal dresses...I saw very few people who were not dressed as Princess suggested...I wore formal dresses and my husband had a tux..

On a June Diamond voyage last year, I'd guess around 10-15% of the men had tuxes, and the rest wore suits or blazer and slacks (I had a navy sport coat and navy slacks and wore a tie, and never felt underdressed). Since there were two formal nights I brought two dress shirts, but since there is an onboard laundry you could get by with one.

Les

We were on the May 14th Diamond Alaska cruise & was surprized that most men were in tuxes & ladies in long dresses......more so then the Caribbean....maybe it was because it wasn't as hot.......but I'm sure you'll look fine in what you described.......

Sharon

Archived