Norwegian Returns to TexaS

mjsshipboy

Looking at Google maps that's a pretty long (70 mile) ride from the airport to the cruise terminal. Is that right or am I putting in the wrong coordinates?

google search from IAH to Port of Houston

Total Travel Estimate: 48 minutes / 38.44 miles

Congrats to TX - truly - but this sucks for those of us in the Northeast who liked having the Jewel out of NYC in the fall. :(

Got to find another favorite ship for my winter getaways. Here's hoping there is more than just the Breakaway out of NYC going forward. :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure the Gem will still be sailing year round from NYC along with the Breakaway. Congrats to TX for getting a great ship

The logical choice would be the Pearl, since the Pearl is doing the Western Carribean out of Miami in Fall/Winter 2013 until it is replaced by the Getaway. So, if the Jewel is moving from NO to Houston, then may mean the Pearl is moving from Miami to NO.

Of course, they could be planning a domino effect where the Pearl replaces a different ship, like the Dawn out of Tampa, or the Sun doing the Southern Carribean out of Miami, and then the Dawn or Sun goes to NO. Sounds like an interesting shell game...

Well, I think you are right about moving the Dawn to New Orleans b/c when I go to the NCL page and do a search for Dec 2014 I come up with the Dawn in New Orleans. You can't book it, but it shows up when you search for a cruise out of New Orleans Oct 2014-Dec 2014.

This is great news, and honestly, it only makes sense. The economy in Texas (and OK) is very strong. This gives options with RCCL, Princess, Carnival, and Disney in Galveston.

IMO, during peak seasons (holidays, spring break, etc), Galveston is just a mess to try to get around in. Getting down Seawall Blvd is a nightmare! During the off-season, it's no big deal.

I am really excited too. No more 6 hour drive to New Orleans =)

Now I am really curious as to where the Jewel will be spending the summer. A re-positioning cruise to Houston might be in order in the fall of 2014!

She will probably still summer in Alaska :)

This is great news, and honestly, it only makes sense. The economy in Texas (and OK) is very strong. This gives options with RCCL, Princess, Carnival, and Disney in Galveston.

IMO, during peak seasons (holidays, spring break, etc), Galveston is just a mess to try to get around in. Getting down Seawall Blvd is a nightmare! During the off-season, it's no big deal.

Not to mention air fare.

We drive unless its for Alaska or Panama Canal. We've only done one cruise out of Miami, and we did fly for that one, too.

Living in Dallas, I might drive 5 hours to Houston. Or jump on Southwest. Either way gotta think I will save some money. So excited!

I will miss the Jewel at NYC, but we will still have at least two other Norwegian ships to choose from, so I too am happy to see Houston get her. I may do a repo to or from there, if one operates....

As for comparisons with Galveston....besides being somewhat closer to the airports, isn't there also more public transportation options at Houston than Galveston, although they say the port is actually in Pasadena--a ways further out than the old Houston port. I like cruises that do a bit a "river running" before hitting the open seas, for the interesting views....

I will miss the Jewel at NYC, but we will still have at least two other Norwegian ships to choose from, so I too am happy to see Houston get her. I may do a repo to or from there, if one operates....

As for comparisons with Galveston....besides being somewhat closer to the airports, isn't there also more public transportation options at Houston than Galveston, although they say the port is actually in Pasadena--a ways further out than the old Houston port. I like cruises that do a bit a "river running" before hitting the open seas, for the interesting views....

We have public transportation here in Texas?

google search from IAH to Port of Houston

Total Travel Estimate: 48 minutes / 38.44 miles

I don't know how do do the google map search, so bare with me. You do know the bay port cruise terminal is ran by the port of Houston, but not located in the port of Houston. The old barb ours cut was in the port of Houston, bayport iphas a Pasadena address and is located between laport and kehema. Don't know if that makes a difference in the milage search.

I do know it is off the beaten path.

Sure wish they would build a parking garage before opening up. The parking was an issue from before.

Sure wish they would build a parking garage before opening up. The parking was an issue from before.

There's time for that - like 2 years! Isn't it in the fall of 2014 when the Jewel gets there?

Now, if we could just get NCL to do alternate east/west routes so B2B would actually be different itineraries...

THAT sounds great! Having done cruises out of NOLA and Houston (after Katrina) I have seen the ports on the west. Not so much the possible ports east. Although as I tell my friends who say they've already done that port," you probably didn't see it ALL in the seven or eight hours you were there "

SO EXCITED!!!! Been waiting for this for 5 years! About given up.. It is much closer to airports than Galveston and a lot cheaper in transfers. We sailed out of there on the CCL Ecstasy after Hurricane Ike and it is a very nice port and the parking is right there so no having to catch a shuttle to the port from parking like in Galveston... We will be booking as soon as they open it up. Was so wanting to go on the Jewell but knew we didn't want to drive to NO. So now we can finally get away from Carnival and start sailing NCL again. Thank you NCL!!

There's time for that - like 2 years! Isn't it in the fall of 2014 when the Jewel gets there?

Now, if we could just get NCL to do alternate east/west routes so B2B would actually be different itineraries...

Yes I bet they would have a lot more bookings if they alternated Eastern/Western itineraries.

Yes I bet they would have a lot more bookings if they alternated Eastern/Western itineraries.

I think Eastern itineraries are difficult from the gulf ports... I remember either Royal or Carnival doing an eastern 7 nighter out of either Tampa or New Orleans and it went to a private island and Nassau only and they got a lot of criticism for it. I don't think you could make it to the real Eastern ports (St Thomas, San Juan, St Maarten) on a 7 dayer from Texas.

There have been itineraries from Galveston that went to Key West and the Bahamas, the traditional WCarib (Jamaica, Grand Cayman and Cozumel) and the Texaribbean, which is Cozumel, Costa Maya, Belize and Roatan. Dont know if NcL will alternate them like CCL does, but it certainly would be nice.

We prefer the Texaribbean, but nice for folks to have a choice.

Thank you NCL!!!

Archived