Worried about 3 day on Monarch.

leenerh

We just booked a 3 day cruise on the Monarch for a family of 7. My concerns are two fold. I know the Monarch is being retired in March but how is the morale of the crew? I have read some reviews concerning rude behavior but I realize that could be the posters problem.

My next concern is we are used to taking 7 day or longer and this one will just fly by ;). What would be a can't miss on this cruise?

Haven't done the 3 nighters. But we just got off a 4 nighter, and are going back on Dec 10.

The crew is excellent. We sailed on her a little over a year ago and were happily surprised with the ship and crew.

I have done the 3 nites...but I generally treat them as a long weekend..just time to relax...there really aren't any "must do" items to me anyway on a cruise that short...I will be sailing Monarch again in Dec. with family...looking forward to getting away...seeing the ship decorated for Christmas & relaxing...

Sailed on Monarch back in October and had a great time. We will sail Monarch again in January (for the last time).

The 3 night is a great get away from life. You watch the port (and the world) disappear of Friday and you have a blast in Nassau and Coco Cay.

FYI - Coco Cay has a track record of being cancelled due to tender concerns. Not to worry, the compass is revised and it is a fun filled day at sea.

The only thing bad i found about the 3 night Monarch cruise is it seems like its over before it even gets started. It FLIES by! :eek:

I had a great time but i could never do a 3 nighter again unless I lived in central FL

The Monarch is fabulous! My expectations were pretty low after reading reviews, but the ship is in good condition. Don't think I'd say great but for the pricing she offers a great value. I enjoy my B2B last month so much I booked again for March.

The only thing bad i found about the 3 night Monarch cruise is it seems like its over before it even gets started. It FLIES by! :eek:

I had a great time but i could never do a 3 nighter again unless I lived in central FL

That's the best thing about living in Central Florida, those long weekend cruises ;)

We just booked a 3 day cruise on the Monarch for a family of 7. My concerns are two fold. I know the Monarch is being retired in March but how is the morale of the crew? I have read some reviews concerning rude behavior but I realize that could be the posters problem.

My next concern is we are used to taking 7 day or longer and this one will just fly by ;). What would be a can't miss on this cruise?

I have been on Monarch many times and never had as problem. We were most recently on her in August, and my wife just went on a three-nighter on her with her mom last week. The crew is very friendly, I have not noticed any morale issues. Most of them will be transferring to other ships, or transferring to similar jobs on Enchantment.

Can't miss stuff? I'd say the Quest on the last evening, and the past guest party on the first morning before Nassau. There's not much to it since you've only got two whole days on board. If you're worried about it being too short, maybe do a back-to-back, or take a seven night cruise on Freedom of the Seas.

Living in Central FL I still don't do 3 night'rs....Royal needs to seriously put a much newer ship into that shorter 3 night realm....Monarch and Majesty should have been retired long ago...I know some may have some nostalgic liking towards them but in this day and age technology in cruise ships those ships are tired.

The ONLY problem with the 3 night, no matter what Steve says........it just goes by too quickly, so we wind doing a B2B to make a week out of it.

And, the Monarch will be retiring soon, and will be replaced by a Vision Class ship, but some of my best memories are on the Monarch and Majesty, and I would imagine it will be impossible to get aboard for her final sailing, as there are so many that still love her and her crew!!;)

Rick

The ONLY problem with the 3 night, no matter what Steve says........it just goes by too quickly, so we wind doing a B2B to make a week out of it.

And, the Monarch will be retiring soon, and will be replaced by a Vision Class ship, but some of my best memories are on the Monarch and Majesty, and I would imagine it will be impossible to get aboard for her final sailing, as there are so many that still love her and her crew!!;)

Rick

Rick even a Vision class ship in Port Canaveral isn't keeping up....Royal should seriously have a Freedom class ship taking the place of Monarch....Disney Dream blows them out of the water in PC in that 3/4 night run....and you know I am a BIG Royal fan;)

I have been on Monarch many times and never had as problem. We were most recently on her in August, and my wife just went on a three-nighter on her with her mom last week. The crew is very friendly, I have not noticed any morale issues. Most of them will be transferring to other ships, or transferring to similar jobs on Enchantment.

Can't miss stuff? I'd say the Quest on the last evening, and the past guest party on the first morning before Nassau. There's not much to it since you've only got two whole days on board. If you're worried about it being too short, maybe do a back-to-back, or take a seven night cruise on Freedom of the Seas.

I must agree on all above! We love the Monarch - the crew is so nice. I think they try harder, are more personable, friendlier. Past guest party is always so nice. I have read their is the best in the fleet. The worst part is when you see the luggage tags and debarkation on your bed. Too soon! For us in Florida, it's a great weekend getaway, chance to go for a quick sail that we can fit in between working a half day Friday morning and Monday afternoon. It's like all the best of a longer 4-5 night cruise, just faster. : (

Rick

We are booked on the last sailing, check it out for availability. It is a little pricey.

Have to disagree with some that think newer ships are needed for the short get aways. All the turn over ages a ship quickly, the short get aways are just that, get aways...a time to use a bit of your vacation bank to get renewed and able to face work again! Disney is a whole different world. People do Disney matched with DisneyWorld as a week + vacation. She is a distanation in herself, fun for the kids and all the adults that love Disney. She is also the cost of maybe 4 RCCL get aways! I do love the short get aways but I book them according to the ports, gotta' have CocoCay! With all that said, I am looking forward to having some new itineraries to check out...

Have to disagree with some that think newer ships are needed for the short get aways. All the turn over ages a ship quickly, the short get aways are just that, get aways...a time to use a bit of your vacation bank to get renewed and able to face work again! Disney is a whole different world. People do Disney matched with DisneyWorld as a week + vacation. She is a distanation in herself, fun for the kids and all the adults that love Disney. She is also the cost of maybe 4 RCCL get aways! I do love the short get aways but I book them according to the ports, gotta' have CocoCay! With all that said, I am looking forward to having some new itineraries to check out...

And Royal matches with Universal Studios;) http://www.royalcaribbean.com/universal/en_US/index.html

Not so different.

Rick even a Vision class ship in Port Canaveral isn't keeping up....Royal should seriously have a Freedom class ship taking the place of Monarch....Disney Dream blows them out of the water in PC in that 3/4 night run....and you know I am a BIG Royal fan;)

Seriously? Freedom-class for 3 nights? It would take longer to board and disembark than the entire cruise! LOL. You'd have to B2B and stay on for at least a week to enjoy a ship that large.

Why would you book a sailing you have concerns with:confused:

Don't like.

If you have never booked a vacation you had any concerns about you live in a perfect world and I envy you.

Monarch is a great ship and a great time. That sense of excitement I get when stepping on a ship is evident for me on any ship. That sense of adventure I get when leaving port I get on any ship. A cruise is a special vacation even on a small, older ship. To be able to get that feeling for about $300 for a weekend is a steal. If we are talking about a seven day cruise for $1000 then I would agree a bigger more modern ship would be beneficial.

Sailed on Monarch back in October and had a great time. We will sail Monarch again in January (for the last time).

The 3 night is a great get away from life. You watch the port (and the world) disappear of Friday and you have a blast in Nassau and Coco Cay.

FYI - Coco Cay has a track record of being cancelled due to tender concerns. Not to worry, the compass is revised and it is a fun filled day at sea.

Normally if coco cay is the first stop but you can't they will normally sail right on to Nassau and overnight if there is dock space. Just happened to me, I wouldn't say they did too much to revise the itinerary. About the only change I saw was the moved up Bingo because once they docked at Nassau, no gambling on board including Bingo.

Monarch is a great ship and a great time. That sense of excitement I get when stepping on a ship is evident for me on any ship. That sense of adventure I get when leaving port I get on any ship. A cruise is a special vacation even on a small, older ship. To be able to get that feeling for about $300 for a weekend is a steal. If we are talking about a seven day cruise for $1000 then I would agree a bigger more modern ship would be beneficial.

I agree! This is me :). I live to cruise, so there is no better feeling in the world than walking across the gangway onto my next ship. This is just my humble opinion, but I think there is a deeper connection to the sea when you're on a smaller, more simple ship. Can't wait!

Archived