Embarkation Day Lunch on Connie

lovestx

I tried to search for this information but didn't get what I was looking for...so thanks for indulging me.

We are departing on the Connie for a short Western Med cruise on Dec. 20th. What restaurants will be open on embarkation day? I'm guessing the buffet and Bistro on 5 but wondered if the pool grill would also be open.

We plan to get to the port around 11 a.m. as we want to take the greatest advantage we can of our short time on board. I'm guessing my kids will want to get some sun (if it's warm enough in Miami that day) so am trying to think about options.

Thanks for your help!

I tried to search for this information but didn't get what I was looking for...so thanks for indulging me.

We are departing on the Connie for a short Western Med cruise on Dec. 20th. What restaurants will be open on embarkation day? I'm guessing the buffet and Bistro on 5 but wondered if the pool grill would also be open.

We plan to get to the port around 11 a.m. as we want to take the greatest advantage we can of our short time on board. I'm guessing my kids will want to get some sun (if it's warm enough in Miami that day) so am trying to think about options.

Thanks for your help!

The Aqua Spa Cafe should be open, but I doubt the pool grill will.

We prefer the Aqua Spa Cafe for lunch. Besides salads, they will prepare fresh grilled tuna, salmon, and chicken.

The Aqua Spa Cafe should be open, but I doubt the pool grill will.

We prefer the Aqua Spa Cafe for lunch. Besides salads, they will prepare fresh grilled tuna, salmon, and chicken.

Thanks, Wine-O. We like the Aqua Spa but not so much for my teens. They covet the french fries at the Mast Grill on Equinox so was hoping that they might be as lucky on Connie the first day.

Lunch on embarkation should include:

Buffet -- including sandwiches (all the way aft), pizza, Asian buffet, carvery, salad bar, desserts

Aqua Spa Cafe

Pool Grill (from noon onward)

Bistro on 5 ($5 cover charge per person)

Small tea sandwiches from Cafe al Bacio (no charge for these, but beverages ordered there do have a charge)

Buffet -- including sandwiches (all the way aft), pizza, Asian buffet, carvery, salad bar, desserts

Aqua Spa Cafe

Small tea sandwiches from Cafe al Bacio (no charge for these, but beverages ordered there do have a charge)

Thanks, Cruisestitch! Sounds like the pool grill will work for us. Will just have to bring their bathing suits in the carryon bag;) I may grab a salad or sandwich from the buffet or we will all go to Bistro on 5 and then head to the pool.

Cruisetich gave the answer, but here is a couple pointers for first time cruisers on the Constellation, or any other M class ships, as far as the buffet:

There are lots of different stations in the buffet that are spread around the sides and back of the buffet area. But the two most traditional buffet lines are right in front either to your left or right as you enter. Passengers that are not familiar with the buffet tend to queue up right in front for these two lines and this causes two problems: First, it creates a huge slow moving line right in front while leaving lines at the various other stations around the sides and back with much shorter lines or no lines at all. Second, people tend to load up their trays with food from these lines before they even know about all the other options. Personally, I love the buffet overall but seldom if ever get anything from the traditional buffet lines in front.

My recommendation is to take a short lunch tour to check out the offerings. Head to the Aqua Spa Cafe and see what is there - it's just inside the spa doors on the other side of the pool from the buffet. Then head back to the buffet and check out the offerings at the pool grill on the way. Once in the buffet take a walk down either side, all the way around the back, and up the other side before deciding what you'd like. Do the same thing the first morning you have breakfast there.

Some of the stations you pass by include two different style salad bars, prepared salads, traditional buffets, pizza, pasta (made to order and already prepared), Indian food, Asian food, English food, and a sandwich bar way in the back (this is where they have fresh waffles in the morning).

By the way, it is always OK for different people to bring items from the Aqua Spa cafe or the pool grill into the buffet area so everyone can sit together.

Enjoy!

Thanks so much Lsimon for a great description of the buffet. Sounds a bit different from what we were used to on Equinox so it is particularly helpful! And we are definitely more the sandwich and salad types so bypasing the front (at least for a look-see) sounds like a good plan :)

Aqua Spa Cafe

And where they make the sandwiches (all the way aft) they had french fries too!

Susan :)

Excellent advice from Larry --

Here's another tip that is specific to that class of ship -- the Aft elevators lead to the rear of the buffet, but as you will see if you look at a deck plan, from the aft elevators you can only turn left (starboard) into the buffet area -- you can't turn right when you leave the elevators, as there is a wall in the way. So when you are at the back of the ship, looking for the elevators, you have to go around by the pizza station to find them. When you come up on the aft elevators, you avoid the entire "front of the buffet line" crowd and can access the pizza and sandwich area with ease. Similarly, in the morning, you come out right at the poached egg station, and only a few steps away from the WAFFLES! Don't miss the waffles!!!

Here's another tip that is specific to that class of ship -- the Aft elevators lead to the rear of the buffet, but as you will see if you look at a deck plan, from the aft elevators you can only turn left (starboard) into the buffet area -- you can't turn right when you leave the elevators, as there is a wall in the way. So when you are at the back of the ship, looking for the elevators, you have to go around by the pizza station to find them. When you come up on the aft elevators, you avoid the entire "front of the buffet line" crowd and can access the pizza and sandwich area with ease. Similarly, in the morning, you come out right at the poached egg station, and only a few steps away from the WAFFLES! Don't miss the waffles!!!

Ooh! I knew there was a reason I booked a cabin close to the aft elevators!! :D

That's how we ended up going on the Millie. Problem was at the beginning of the week, before I started using the back way, those dang mirrored walls kept messing me up. Kept thinking I would be able to turn into the hallway, and would just see myself instead :D

We are departing on the Connie for a short Western Med cruise on Dec. 20th

I assume you mean Western Caribbean as you are departing from Miami!!!!!!!!

I will be interested in temperatures in Miami, as maybe one day we will also have a Christmas cruise. IMO the Med would be too cold to sit outside at lunch time in December.

Wow...I went out for the evening and look at all the wonderful information that has piled up in my absence!

AkSusan....my children will forever be in your debt for the tip on where they can find french fries immediately onboard :)

Cruisestitch....your description of skipping the front of the buffet by using the aft elevators is just terrific. And our Concierce cabins are near the aft elevator! My daughter and son will be psyched to learn that waffles will be so easily accessible!!! Might even get them out of bed earlier than usual (though they loved Room Service on our last trip).

upwarduk.....yes, we are cruising the Western Caribbean (we did the Eastern Med in June '12 so that's where that mixup came). Not that excited about the ports or the short length but the timing worked for school/work/holiday issues.

Silly non-related question: what deck do you come aboard when the ship sails from Miami? I was in Miami last week and could see the ships in port. That terminal makes it look like we'll be boarding higher than Deck 2 (where we boarded on the Equinox). Just curious.

I assume you mean Western Caribbean as you are departing from Miami!!!!!!!!

I will be interested in temperatures in Miami, as maybe one day we will also have a Christmas cruise. IMO the Med would be too cold to sit outside at lunch time in December.

Googled a couple of sites and seemed to get the same -

December Weather in Miami

Average High Temperature: 76.8 degrees Farenheit

Average Low Temperature: 61.6 degrees Farenheit

Average Rainfall: 1.97 inches

My daughter and son will be psyched to learn that waffles will be so easily accessible!!! Might even get them out of bed earlier than usual (though they loved Room Service on our last trip).

Silly non-related question: what deck do you come aboard when the ship sails from Miami? I was in Miami last week and could see the ships in port. That terminal makes it look like we'll be boarding higher than Deck 2 (where we boarded on the Equinox). Just curious.

You'll need to warn the kids that the waffle/pancake/french toast station of the buffet usually closes at 10. We were up at breakfast one day, and 10 a.m. hit and they started pulling all the food. So, only those choices until 10. Would hate for them to drag themselves out of bed and not have their waffles available. Don't want grouchy kids for that day, because no waffle fix :D

We embarked on Deck 4!

Archived