NFL Football shown on ship?

lssg

My husband and I will be on the Independence of the Sea on Thanksgiving and would like to know if they show the NFL games on the ship, if so where is the most likely place. Hopefully it is more than just on the TV in the room. thanks

I have not been on Independence specifically, but often there is a TV in the Schooner Lounge and a game will be on. Keep in mind that it won't be like a sports bar at home, where they have the "Sunday Ticket" and are showing ALL the NFL games on various TV's. Most likely there will be a game feed from only a single network so you'll be limited to whatever game that network happens to be airing.

Edited by waterbug123

On Oasis, they showed a game at 1, 4:30pm, Sunday Night, Monday night, and Thursday night game on the NFL network. Normally shown on ESPN 2 Caribbean network. Shown in the room and the On-Air Club. Showed some college games as well.

My husband and I will be on the Independence of the Sea on Thanksgiving and would like to know if they show the NFL games on the ship, if so where is the most likely place. Hopefully it is more than just on the TV in the room. thanks

Good luck with finding the game! It doesn’t seem that RCCL puts much planning into Major sporting events. Last October on the Allure, the Cowboys were playing the Patriots at 4:30, a nationally televised game. It was rumored by the bartenders, that it could be viewed in the On Air Club located at the Promenade. When we arrived at about 4:45 it was standing room only and there was a soccer game playing on all the TV’s. The crowd of about 100 plus was getting inpatient. The bartenders said they had no control to change the channel, it had to be done somewhere else. what????? Several people walked down to guest relation, others called. Finally 2 ship Officers were walking by and the noise caught their attention. The Officers made a call and after 20 minuets a crew member came down and changed the channel. The game was finally on half way through the second quarter.

We also had an opposite experience on the Norwegian Epic. They have an area in the back of the ship called the Spice H2O bar and grill, were they viewed movies under the stars with a pool and Jacuzzi, but on Sunday's and Monday nights during football season it is an all day tailgate party. They also had the World Series playing on their indoor Atrium TV the same day.

Tell your husband not to worry, the Lions will lose again. He should go and do anything else other than watch the Lions. Given the 6 hr time difference, it seem like it will be close to dinner time. ;)

Edited by dz9yvr

Tell your husband not to worry, the Lions will lose again. He should go and do anything else other than watch the Lions. Given the 6 hr time difference, it seem like it will be close to dinner time. ;)

As a Lions fan I watched them lose again today. Agreed, MUCH better things to do on a cruise than watch the Lion's lose again.:(

Being from Houston and a big Texans fan, I can only hope you are speaking the truth. Game is at 12:30 Eastern time. GO TEXANS! :)

I think broadcasting sporting events is one area RCL could improve. I am not a huge sports fan--but, DH follows pro/college football and basketball. If we cruise longer than a week he begins to miss it. [a week is too short for me]

On Carnival and Celebrity sporting events are more easily available.

Some will say that forget sports when you are on the ship. However, the lack of available viewing will keep some from booking during March Madness, World Series, Super Bowl, etc.

When we sailed Celebrity they put the football game [they were playoff games] on the big screen in the large lounge. They sold beer buckets and had a lively crowd. I am sure they made money off the bar service. More than anything else they could have done with that venue at that time.

And they made a bunch of guys happy. They were talking a lot of "smack." :rolleyes:

I think broadcasting sporting events is one area RCL could improve. I am not a huge sports fan--but, DH follows pro/college football and basketball. If we cruise longer than a week he begins to miss it. [a week is too short for me]

On Carnival and Celebrity sporting events are more easily available.

Some will say that forget sports when you are on the ship. However, the lack of available viewing will keep some from booking during March Madness, World Series, Super Bowl, etc.

When we sailed Celebrity they put the football game [they were playoff games] on the big screen in the large lounge. They sold beer buckets and had a lively crowd. I am sure they made money off the bar service. More than anything else they could have done with that venue at that time.

And they made a bunch of guys happy. They were talking a lot of "smack." :rolleyes:

We've sailed on Celebrity and RCI during football season and haven't noticed any significant difference. Both seem to show the national games from Fox, CBS, NBC and ESPN on tvs in the various lounges and on stateroom TVs. It isn't like the NFL Sunday Ticket that some bars have which will show all the games and sometimes the games shown don't match up with the audience onboard (we couldn't see the Pats/Rams game from London despite being docked in Boston) but we did see the games that Fox was showing that Sunday. On Super Bowl Sunday a few years ago on Jewel of the Seas, there were showings throughout the ship including on the big screen in the theater. Typical football refreshments and beer were readily available.

That's a tricky one. Thanksgiving isn't even as important as the Superbowl and yet it's sometimes hard to find the Superbowl on a cruise ship.

We have cruised on playoff days and on Superbowl Sunday and each time, there were promises of availability of the game, and many times the promise fell short.

This is a general statement as to all cruise lines, not specific to RC.

It seems every ship promises the game and then there is a struggle to get the feed. Sometimes we hear they are awaiting permission (as if the Superbowl is a surprise event and no one knows it's going to play that day) or they have trouble with the feed or they start late.

We once spent the day in a sports bar at the port so we would be sure to see the game even though we had been promised we could view it on board. Well, you should've seen the unhappy folks who stayed on board and missed the game, while we viewed it at a local bar.

However, our experience was different when we traveled Christmas 2011 on the Crown Princess. The game was being played on the giant screen on the pool deck. They even provided blankets to bundle up for the night game. The game was also being shown on the indoor bars TV's. Same was true on Carnival Breeze in September 2012. While in the bar, there was football playing. However, I cannot tell you whether that was a replay or live feed.

So maybe things have improved these last few years.

Edited by 1cat4jan

We've sailed on Celebrity and RCI during football season and haven't noticed any significant difference. Both seem to show the national games from Fox, CBS, NBC and ESPN on tvs in the various lounges and on stateroom TVs. It isn't like the NFL Sunday Ticket that some bars have which will show all the games and sometimes the games shown don't match up with the audience onboard (we couldn't see the Pats/Rams game from London despite being docked in Boston) but we did see the games that Fox was showing that Sunday. On Super Bowl Sunday a few years ago on Jewel of the Seas, there were showings throughout the ship including on the big screen in the theater. Typical football refreshments and beer were readily available.

Either you were lucky--or we were not lucky, because that has not been our experience.

DH tried to find an NFL game on the Radiance--no dice. DH was very disappointed during finals of March Madness.

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas

Last Tgiving on the Jewel, they showed the games in the Schooner lounge and the lounge next to it with the pool table (can't remember the name). They also served hotdogs and popcorn which I thought was really cool :)

Edited by pam_1024

• 5 years later...
Either you were lucky--or we were not lucky, because that has not been our experience.

DH tried to find an NFL game on the Radiance--no dice. DH was very disappointed during finals of March Madness.

The Pub on Radiance class ships we have sailed on have always shown World Series games, NBA finals and some regular season games, and the national network feeds of NFL games during the entire regular season and into the playoffs and the Super Bowl.

Many of the games are also shown on the large screen by the pool.

th